Who'll be the first D-Man to go?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Obviously the smartest choice is Edler , but knowing Gillis he'll probably not get the offers he wants for Alex and then end up trading Tanev instead who we much rather keep. Kind of like the whole Lu/Schneider fiasco.

This what I fear/think will happen as well. Ugh.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I think it's going to be Tanev. He's being showcased pretty hard on the top pairing, his CF% falls off when he's not paired with Hamhuis, and no NTC for him means the bidding war for him could get *high*.

Plus, negotiations for his contract last summer seemed to be a bit tense and his salary will probably jump into the $4M range this summer, so he's not as cheap as everyone seems to think.

I have this nagging fear that it will be Tanev but man I'd be extremely upset if we traded him.

tonydif

Apr 15, 2007
no ones being traded...need top line forwards and any trade of a dman will not bring a scorer back.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Edler should be traded. He is overrated and overpaid.

Why? What is your reasoning for saying this?

Can anyone in this entire board give legitimate reason as to why Edler is now washed up and trading him is whats best for our "re-tool"? If someone uses +/- as the main point of their argument I may shoot myself :banghead:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Bieksa should be the first to go. Edler is a lot younger. He should be given more time to work things out. Trade Bieksa to Anaheim for their first round pick(Ottawa's) That would give up two opportunities to win the draft lottery.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Edler will be the new Luongo. Considering how he has been playing this year we would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick just to get rid of his salary.

Would be stupid to trade a R - unless management believe Corrado is ready.

Couldn't see Garrison wanting to leave Vancouver.

Hamhuis is almost the only player on this team I just wouldn't trade regardless (well - if someone offered Crosby or something....).

It leaves Edler.

Our D will look just fine, actually quite solid, even without Edler. Bring in someone like Vanek for his salary (+++) and this team looks so much better.

Mike27

Aug 14, 2009
Garrison is by far the worst value for money dman on the Canucks, yet he isn't even in this poll.

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
As soon as Torts was hired here, one of the first things he was asked about was Alex Edler. He said they were going to need more from him. He hasn't gotten more from him.

Wetcoaster

As soon as Torts was hired here, one of the first things he was asked about was Alex Edler. He said they were going to need more from him. He hasn't gotten more from him.
Pre-suspension Tortorella was happy with Edler's play... post-suspension, not so much.

“I just know he was playing really well prior to that ridiculous suspension,” Tortorella said. “It shouldn’t have been.

“So I’m going to blame Shanahan on this one. For his crappy play, I’ll blame Brendan for it.

“No, not (really). I just thought he was playing really well and assertive and we just seemed to lose some of that after his suspension.”​

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Why you ask?... Because I'm sick of his play. He shows up one game then for the next 10 games he's a liability out there. Your highest paid Dman should be a leader and lead by example. I have zero sympathy or patience for Edler anymore. People around here love to throw out point totals as the be all and end all of a players game. Far from it really. Edler hasn't been the same since he had back surgery and never will live up to the hype that has followed him. As far as I'm concerned he should be moved now while he's still somewhat young. Use him to help improve this team moving forward.

Disagree all you want because this is just my opinion and I'm not preaching it as fact. I just have no use for Edler anymore. I think he's overrated and overpaid.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Not moving Edler last offseason is gonna haunt us. The return would have been high, there were so many options. A ton of young forwards and great draft picks. I can't see him getting any better, his issues do not seem to be something that will improve, just lack of speed and talent to put all dem tools together.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Can anyone in this entire board give legitimate reason as to why Edler is now washed up and trading him is whats best for our "re-tool"? If someone uses +/- as the main point of their argument I may shoot myself :banghead:

The Eye Test

eye-test_1006107c.jpg

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I think Edler will have a big bounce back year. Id only move him if the return really helps the re-tool with young talent and picks.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
I find it funny that both Hamhuis and Edler will start off as healthy scratches which just goes to show they're good but not great. Not the kind of number 1 studs you want to build your defence around, very solid number 2 guys but we lack that dominant game changing number 1 d-man badly.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I find it funny that both Hamhuis and Edler will start off as healthy scratches which just goes to show they're good but not great. Not the kind of number 1 studs you want to build your defence around, very solid number 2 guys but we lack that dominant game changing number 1 d-man badly.

Couldn't you say that about quite a few of the top teams in the NHL as well?

Everyone want a Chara, Keith etc., but you don't have to have one of these Ds to be competitive. Perfectly achievable to win a Stanley Cup without this one "stud" D.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011

Edler is still serving his suspension so unless they've announced the starting lineup for the Latvia game, I think you might be going off half-cocked here.

As for failing to have a starting defenseman for Team Canada on our roster.. yeah there are a lot of teams without that. Think it's pretty safe to say Dan Hamhuis is one of the top 10-12 Canadian defensemen which is a big deal.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC

With 20 skaters in the Olympics, Hamhuis isn't necessarily a healthy scratch. He's most likely playing on a 4th pairing with Subban. Is Subban a game changing defenseman? Seems like him and Hamhuis are in the same boat.

Edler, as mentioned, is suspended.

So yeah. You'll need a better basis for your argument.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
no ones being traded...need top line forwards and any trade of a dman will not bring a scorer back.

I'm curious as to why that is? I mean, I understand it, but should it be this way? If I'm a GM and I offer Edler to a D starved team like the AVs for ROR, why do they hesitate?

To me, this just speaks to how Dmen are generally devalued around the league compared to Forwards. I _should_ be able to get a high end forward if I'm giving up a top-pairing Dman, but I would be hard pressed to get that type of return in general. On the flipside, if I have that high end forward, maybe it's easier for me to get that top-pairing Dman...?

Edler is still serving his suspension so unless they've announced the starting lineup for the Latvia game, I think you might be going off half-cocked here.

As for failing to have a starting defenseman for Team Canada on our roster.. yeah there are a lot of teams without that. Think it's pretty safe to say Dan Hamhuis is one of the top 10-12 Canadian defensemen which is a big deal.

I was going to point out that Edler suspension, good catch.

Also, it's a big deal to make TC. That _is_ a high end Dman IMO. When guys like Seabrook and Letang can be left off, even at the low end, that should speak volumes about how highly Hamhuis is regarded. (Even if he is a scratch for the first game)

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
With the year Edler is having it would be foolish to trade him over someone else like Bieksa who's having a typical season for production. I could see a team that is loaded adding Bieksa for some extra depth. It always tempting to move players when they are struggling but if you want to retool you have to let players go that still have some value. Edler should get moved when he gets back on pace for 40 pts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad