Who'll be the first D-Man to go?

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Teams would definitely give up alot for Tanev this is the reason I do not want to give up on him, he's getting so much better every year I feel so good about our D when he's in the lineup. The Reason were losing right now... No Tanev/Hamhuis No Henrik/Santo.. **** YOU HANZAL

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
If Tanev goes..Ill take a nice long break from Canucks hockey. That would be devastating.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
How come?

A better question would be: Why do so many people want him gone?

He has quickly become our most underrated/under appreciated player by far.

Management claims the goal is to "re-tool" and get younger. Trading Edler is totally contradictory that idea. People say, "Well we have to trade Edler because he has more trade value than our other defenseman." Do we even realize how stupid that statement is?

He's a 27 year old top 2 D-Man who can play 23 mins a night. He hits, he's good on the PP, he can skate, he's big, and he's better defensively than he's given credit for.

I would hate to see Edler go, especially now that everyone thinks he's worthless. If you're going to trade a player, trade him when his value is higher than it should be not lower than it should be.

torlev*

Edler makes the most sense.

Lots of left-handed d-men, Edler should still have the most value of all the left handers based on age.

He's the one d-man, this season, that when he was out the Nucks were actually noticeably better. Not to say he's bad, he just isn't fitting with any other d-men on this team.

Stupid because they should have moved him last year at the draft...

Yeah. That's the thing. Teams won't pay what people here think they will for these reasons, and if he goes, posters here will be pissed at the return, or he just won't get traded. The posts here about edler for RoR are ridiculous. He doesn't come close to bringing back RoR. Not remotely close.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
A better question would be: Why do so many people want him gone?

He has quickly become our most underrated/under appreciated player by far.

I don't think i'm under-appreciating Edler, I just don't think he fits anymore. As mentioned the Canucks best run was with Edler out... this does NOT indicate Edler makes the Canucks worse... my point with this is that he is clearly not needed in the current make-up of the team and is not a game-breaking player.

Management claims the goal is to "re-tool" and get younger. Trading Edler is totally contradictory that idea. People say, "Well we have to trade Edler because he has more trade value than our other defenseman." Do we even realize how stupid that statement is?

... Well he does have more value and he doesn't fit. They keep having to put someone on their off-side to try to help him out. I guess we'll see if Diaz is the perfect fit?

He's a 27 year old top 2 D-Man who can play 23 mins a night. He hits, he's good on the PP, he can skate, he's big, and he's better defensively than he's given credit for.

I would hate to see Edler go, especially now that everyone thinks he's worthless. If you're going to trade a player, trade him when his value is higher than it should be not lower than it should be.

He's awful on the PP, but he can do it. He's all around a decent d-man I don't disagree but the Canucks have 5 guys like that (more or less in some respects) all on long term deals.

The 3 expensive lefties are Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler. Hamhuis is better defensively than Edler and Garrison is better on the PP than Edler.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah. That's the thing. Teams won't pay what people here think they will for these reasons, and if he goes, posters here will be pissed at the return, or he just won't get traded. The posts here about edler for RoR are ridiculous. He doesn't come close to bringing back RoR. Not remotely close.

Nope, but Avs fans seem to think Parenteau + a 1st Round pick + a prospect.

torlev*

Nope, but Avs fans seem to think Parenteau + a 1st Round pick + a prospect.

Depending on the prospect I don't think that's ridiculous at all. Players that have fallen out of favour that get traded as reclamation projects generally go for even less than that.

Point being, if you guys feel its time to cut ties, don't be silly and think you'll get a mint in return. You won't. If you're trading for a return and think he can still contribute than don't trade him because he won't bring back what most here think.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Depending on the prospect I don't think that's ridiculous at all. Players that have fallen out of favour that get traded as reclamation projects generally go for even less than that.

Point being, if you guys feel its time to cut ties, don't be silly and think you'll get a mint in return. You won't. If you're trading for a return and think he can still contribute than don't trade him because he won't bring back what most here think.

So far (from other teams fans) Parenteau + 1st + prospect (Avs) and Collberg + 1st + Gorges (Habs) are the two offers where i'm thinking I would move Edler. He just doesn't fit, IMO.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Well he's dropped from 80% to just under 70% which seems more reasonable. Out of curiosity, why wasn't Garrison included in the poll?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
bieska/edler. both could fetch pretty good value back? edler=young player+roster player+draft pick. bieska..=late first/prospect?

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
If the Canucks are going to hope the Sedins stop sucking for the next 4 years Id keep Edler over Garrison. Garrison is softer than Edler. He is seriously a ***** the way he plays. He is a big guy but he is scared. Watch him try to clear the zone under pressure. What a joke, he belongs on a beer league team.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I don't think i'm under-appreciating Edler, I just don't think he fits anymore. As mentioned the Canucks best run was with Edler out... this does NOT indicate Edler makes the Canucks worse... my point with this is that he is clearly not needed in the current make-up of the team and is not a game-breaking player.

... Well he does have more value and he doesn't fit. They keep having to put someone on their off-side to try to help him out. I guess we'll see if Diaz is the perfect fit?

He's awful on the PP, but he can do it. He's all around a decent d-man I don't disagree but the Canucks have 5 guys like that (more or less in some respects) all on long term deals.

The 3 expensive lefties are Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler. Hamhuis is better defensively than Edler and Garrison is better on the PP than Edler.

Yes, except for him actually being able to score on the PP.

I'm really on the fence about Edler. I would probably prefer to give up Garrison but I just don't see him going due to his contract and NTC situation. Due to that, I would rather keep Bieksa over Edler so Garrison can go back to the left side. Ironically, I think Bieksa is the one who will actually get traded due to his perceived value around the league for a playoff contender.

Ultimately I'd love Edler to net us RoR. In a vacuum, Eddie probably has more value, but I just don't see Colorado letting O'Reilly go - nor do I think he would want out anymore.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
If the Canucks are going to hope the Sedins stop sucking for the next 4 years Id keep Edler over Garrison. Garrison is softer than Edler. He is seriously a ***** the way he plays. He is a big guy but he is scared. Watch him try to clear the zone under pressure. What a joke, he belongs on a beer league team.

and yet van signed him because of his "big shot".. havent seen him unleash it that much. sometimes he does but sometimes he doesnt.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
I think it's going to be Tanev. He's being showcased pretty hard on the top pairing, his CF% falls off when he's not paired with Hamhuis, and no NTC for him means the bidding war for him could get *high*.

Plus, negotiations for his contract last summer seemed to be a bit tense and his salary will probably jump into the $4M range this summer, so he's not as cheap as everyone seems to think.

He's on the top pairing because he's our 2nd best d-man.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yes, except for him actually being able to score on the PP.

I'm really on the fence about Edler. I would probably prefer to give up Garrison but I just don't see him going due to his contract and NTC situation. Due to that, I would rather keep Bieksa over Edler so Garrison can go back to the left side. Ironically, I think Bieksa is the one who will actually get traded due to his perceived value around the league for a playoff contender.

Ultimately I'd love Edler to net us RoR. In a vacuum, Eddie probably has more value, but I just don't see Colorado letting O'Reilly go - nor do I think he would want out anymore.

Edler has 2 powerplay goals and 6 powerplay points...

Garrison has 4 powerplay goals and 12 powerplay points...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad