Who would you like to see as the next GM and next coach of the Blues?

Dec 15, 2002
I had names for possible GM candidates elsewhere. Coaches, ... it depends on what the focus is for the next season or two is.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Just some coaches I’d have interest in off the top of my head:

Quenneville
McLellan
Keefe
Lindy Ruff

Picking a GM would be tougher.

Reactions: Thallis

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
Pronger is an interesting option I haven't thought of. I was thinking Scott Mellanby. Lots more FO experience in multiple organizations. Pronger's time, I think, is a few years away.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'll have to wait to see who is there during the offseason.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
To answer either question, I would need to know what we would like the identity of this team is going to be going forward. If we are staying the course with DA, I feel like we are going to continue to struggle to define that.

At the same time, who the GM is might be largely irrelevant depending on who the coach is. As long as the GM is doing a good job of building a roster that compliments the coach’s desired play style, I don’t really care who it is.

I guess what I’m saying is that it is too soon to answer either question until we decide who we are as a team. I think that starts with who you hire as your coach, and I think DA gets one more chance to do that.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t think you build a roster to suit a coach. The shelf life of a coach is much too short for that. It’s better to build philosophies and then form the team with players and coaches that fit it. Unfortunately, Army’s philosophy seems to be “ hit the moving target”.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
What about Bill Armstrong for GM? He knows the guys he drafted pretty well.
He may be a good candidate, who knows. But I think you have to bring in someone from outside the organization.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’d have a hard time believing most fans know enough of the people in the hockey industry to give educated answers here, other than to repeat the 3 or 4 well known retreads or well-known former players.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I really liked Mark Hunter as a player here in St. Louis. His best NHL days as a player were here in St. Louis. I would like to see him come back as GM here. As for coach, I'd like a college coach in the Jim Montgomery mold. This team is poised for a top 3 pick next year. Time to incorporate youth and speed into this team.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever
Dec 15, 2002
What about Bill Armstrong for GM? He knows the guys he drafted pretty well.
When Kekalainen was here and AGM, he had considerably more management experience than BA has today - and people weren't ready to hand JK the reins to run the team because he supposedly didn't have enough experience. So, I have no clue how anyone thinks "oh, like 6 months as AGM? Sure, let's give Bill the reins and let him make personnel decisions."

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
When Kekalainen was here and AGM, he had considerably more management experience than BA has today - and people weren't ready to hand JK the reins to run the team because he supposedly didn't have enough experience. So, I have no clue how anyone thinks "oh, like 6 months as AGM? Sure, let's give Bill the reins and let him make personnel decisions."
I was fine with Jarmo though...

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
If we can't get Q I'm all for going after the best young up and coming AHL coach possible along the Montgomery mold to mesh with the likely re-tool to grow with the younger players that will be coming up.

I won't even pretend to know enough about GM options that are out there beyond the ones that are currently tied down to other franchises. Brodeur would've been a fine choice but we all knew him ending up back in the NJ organization was inevitable.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Coach Two come to mind:
Joel Quenneville: I would welcome him back knowing he knows how to win the cup. He would be the experienced coach and I see why everyone wants him. My only thought how he works with younger players.

Seldon Keefe: Clearly successful at coaching young players. Considered the hottest up and coming coach. So why not give him his NHL shot and he clearly has all the points of success for the future. I think he could be the long term coach that could be the best idea of being what not only winning the cup but start a dynasty so to speak if the success he has has continues at the NHL.

The main thing is there has to be someone that keeps these guys playing hard each game and keeps there confidence up. Light that fire to get them WANT the Cup. It seems like so many on this team doesn't have that want.

GM: Not sure on names in this department. The biggest issue I have with DA on moves he made that several times he given high dollar and long term contracts to players that A. Unproven in the role you expecting them to be in. Example Jake Allen given him a long term starter contract deal without going a full season as a starter. No way right now we still should be questioning if Jake CAN be that guy. We should have already known that before given him the money. Goalies and DA have always been the issue it seems that he moves the wrong guy each time.

The other issue is sticking with players to long even though they no longer cutting it. Jay Boumeeter is the prime example of that this year and having a coach fits in to this as well as knowing when you have to do what best to win, sure benching a big contract guy may not be a favorable move to some but if it means the team will win more, than you do it. If I was coaching as I saw what we see with Jay now who costed up several wins because he no longer can keep up in this league. Yet we still play him in a big role for whatever reason outside he has experience. There is a different between having the experience and being able to do it now. That's the big issue I'm seeing with him and players.

So the new GM would be someone who knows talent. Knows when to move on from talent. Can make great deals (Doug was good for that when you see Schenn and ROR) but smart with spending money on the right talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad