Who would you choose 1st overall? (non Oiler fans)

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
If i was the hawks i would trade with florida....#1 + # 18 + beach for #3 + Weiss...and then with three i would take Landeskog...

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Landeskog-Weiss-Hossa
Frolik-Bolland-Morin
Bickell-Kopecky-Brouwer

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hammer
Leddy-Campoli

Crow
Salak

I Know...wouldnt fit under the cap and florida wouldnt do it.

Last edited:

Erza Scarlet

following the mantle
Jun 9, 2011
Requiem
This is a concern of mine as well. The Oilers have a kid name Tyler Pitlick who seems pretty decent and can handle his own physically. I gotta wonder what gagners future looks like if the Oil do in fact draft RNH. Having said that, Datsyuk/Zetterberg don't exactly impose any physical threat on opponents and do okay.

I'd gladly take a Matt Duchene type of good #1 centre. I think Hall has the franchise player ability and RNH will be there dishing him and Ebs for all sorts of goals.

Conversely, some scouts are saying this kid has Datsyuk like potential in play making and elusiveness. He can dish as well on the backhand as forehand and has world class vision. If this is the case and he has those two guys converting passes he has the ability to put up some PPG seasons pretty quick.

Whats the difference between a good first liner and a franchise player? Is Patrick Kane franchise? Is Toews (lower points, better player?).

1st line forward is like Eriksson, Kessel, Hemsky (don't let the stats fool you, good players need to play with other good players), Bobby Ryan, etc 60-80 points

Franchise players are like Stamkos, Sedins (but I don't know if he would put up the same amount of points playing with Martin St.Louis and vice-versa), Thorton, Tavares, etc that can pot 80 + points consistently.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
RNH wasnt always ranked #1..

But he is now, by virtually every pro scout and all of the major services. And this counts a lot as there will not be much hockey played between now and the draft.

Honestly, it is possible that Larsoon becomes the clear best player a few years from now. But right now it seems that RNH has separtated himself enough so that the only reason not to draft him *and it is not a great one) would be if the team felt that the positional need for a dman was much greater than for a center. In thjis case though I would say that the need for a center is actually greater taking that card right off the table.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I watched RNH play against the Vancouver Giants in Vancouver and didn't come away very impressed.

I understand it was only one game and it was in his hometown so there may have been nerves but unless you knew who he was coming in, you would have no idea he was a potential Top 5 pick.

I believe the best pick for Edmonton is Larsson.

However I also beleive they will take RNH.

This is due to the fact that it is easier to find a defenseman to be a #1 on your team later in the draft than it is to find a #1 centreman.

In addition, there are teams that don't have #1 defensemen but serveral quality #2's and done well i.e. Vancouver.

If the Oilers pick Larsson, pass on RNH and he becomes a star, they will be ridiculed for not taking the forward.

If the Oilers pick RNH, Larsson becomes and star and RNH becomes medicore, they will say it was the best choice at the time.

I'm just a firm beleiver that if all things are equal, you pick the forward over the defenseman.

It's just whether the Oilers feel everything is truely equal.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
This thread has gotten more replies than i thought it would. For those saying Larsson what do you know that scouts don't? Im honestly curious, why is Larsson not ranked number one by any scouting services?

He dropped in the last year because they played Rundblad and Erixon over him on the powerplay. These two players have a year or two on him. Very easy to look up. He still plays in a real mans league and fares very well.

Larsson EASILY:yo:

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
This thread reminds me how all of HF were trying to convince Oiler fans that Seguin was the right pick for us.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
This thread reminds me how all of HF were trying to convince Oiler fans that Seguin was the right pick for us.
It happens every year. Larsson over RNH, Seguin over Hall, Hedman/Duchene over Tavares, Doughty over Stamkos, Turris/JVR over Kane, etc.

Next year Murray or Yakupov will separate themselves from the pack but there will still be people saying the team with the top pick should take the other guy....but there likely won't be any surprises on draft day. Is there ever a surprise at 1st overall?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
This thread has gotten more replies than i thought it would. For those saying Larsson what do you know that scouts don't? Im honestly curious, why is Larsson not ranked number one by any scouting services?

He has been playing much more of a defensive role this year, he has in his team the best prospect not playing in the NHL (Rundblad), also has another stud prospect in Erixon, both 2 years older and playing all the PP time.

Larsson has all the tools to become the best defense-man in the league, and I think his potential is bigger than RNH, that's all.

We will see in a few years if I was underrating RNH or I was right about Larsson's potential.

Pyke*

He did get to play PP, he was often on the second pairing although he didn't end up with many minutes because he's a righty like Rundblad who often played the whole 2 minutes with his partner being interchangeable.

That's because Rundblad is god. :)

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
This is a concern of mine as well. The Oilers have a kid name Tyler Pitlick who seems pretty decent and can handle his own physically. I gotta wonder what gagners future looks like if the Oil do in fact draft RNH. Having said that, Datsyuk/Zetterberg don't exactly impose any physical threat on opponents and do okay.

Meh. Gagner is one of my favourite current Oilers (I like his heart) but if RNH is the best, you take him. Worry about what to do with Gagner later. I don't care if they end up giving him away for free if it means we have a legitmate #1 centre to take his place.

2003 should have drummed it into the head of everyone in the Oilers organization that you don't make first-round draft selections based on your current roster. Too much can change too quickly, especially these days in the cap era.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Adam Larsson addresses a big need and could play next year. RNH might not be NHL ready but if they wanna get Taylor Hall his center then he is the man for the job.

Chances are they will be picking top 5 again next year with that great crop of defensemen so it would make more sense to take RNH this year.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Landeskog. He's Pavel Datsyuk minus the flashy moves. Solid defensively, good offensive instincts, isn't afraid to mix things up, and leads by example. What's not to like?

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Landeskog. He's Pavel Datsyuk minus the flashy moves. Solid defensively, good offensive instincts, isn't afraid to mix things up, and leads by example. What's not to like?
You are way off. He's nothing like Datsyuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad