Who would win in a best of 7 series: Marlies V.S Leafs

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
Leafs in 5. Nylander & Sparks steal a game because the Leafs make the mistake of starting Bernier in game one lol.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It depends on Reimer. If he was injured, it might be a close series, LOL.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I would expect there's allot of 'restricted' play among Leafs. They play with 'respect' for the opposition. Against the Marlies?

Taking their last AHL seasons into play, you could see Peter Holland getting about 42 points by now, while playing with 'big' names like Patrick Maroon & Sami Vatanen.

For Michael Grabner, he's have about 32 points while maybe playing with the likes of Jason Krog & Jason Jaffray while in the AHL.

This guys are now just in a 3rd line roll, where they would be in the top five for scoring for the Marlies, and probably paired up with lesser talent then the Marlies
currently have. And their games are probably better offensively and defensively then they were.

William Nylander might be the only Marlie that can crack a top-six spot on the roster.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I understand why you thought to make this poll, but ... this shouldn't be close. Should be 4 game sweep for the Leafs, but with some bounces and an incredible game from Sparks, it's possibly 5.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Marlies would be more competitive than most on here think. They'd be pumped to show up the Leaf vets.

I just can't see our Leafs playing any better against the Marlies than they just did against the very poor Senaturds.

It would be 1972 all over again. ;)

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Funny, I don't know much about the Marlies, haven't seen a full game from them all season or ever in my life lol.

I was going to go with the Marlies in 7, until I read the comments.

So, Leafs in 5.

Without JVR, in 6.

Leafs just can't score. So I'm not sure how we expect them to score on the first place Marlies lol.

But what i gather from the comments is that they are in the NHL for a reason. The BIGS should win every time.

I think the Marlies could beat Columbus though lol

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
OP should've posted the rosters for comparison.

Marlies (from game vs MB Moose, 2016-02-06):
Leivo Rupert Hyman
Kapanen Nylander Brown
Leipsic Bailey Frattin
Clune Gauthier Soshnikov

Campbell Valiev
Loov Percy
Brennan Holl

Leafs (from tonight's game vs. Senators):
Holland - Kadri - Komarov
Grabner - Bozak - Parenteau
Matthias - Spaling - Winnik
Lupul - Froese - Boyes

Hunwick - Rielly
Phaneuf - Corrado
Gardiner - Polak

On the blue line, Valiev, Lööv, and Percy are close to being NHLers. Brennan is a fringe guy but being used as a leader/permanent AHLer to stabilize the roster.

Only Corrado has yet to establish himself as a mainstay in the NHL.

Then at forward, you have a bad 1st line, a great 2nd line, a good 3rd line, and a great 4th line for the Marlies.

On the Leafs you have a good first line, mediocre 2nd line, mediocre 3rd line, and great 4th line.

So if Freddy the GOAT and his partners can shut down the Kadri line, there's a chance the Marlies forwards out-match the Leafs forwards. But that's a big if.

But when you come back to the D, it's no contest. Maybe if you add Harrington, the gap closes a bit but I would say Leafs take this easily.

Last edited:

OvenMittz*

OP should've posted the rosters for comparison.

Marlies (from game vs MB Moose, 2016-02-06):
Leivo Rupert Hyman
Kapanen Nylander Brown
Leipsic Bailey Frattin
Clune Gauthier Soshnikov

Campbell Valiev
Loov Percy
Brennan Holl

Leafs (from tonight's game vs. Senators):
Holland - Kadri - Komarov
Grabner - Bozak - Parenteau
Matthias - Spaling - Winnik
Lupul - Froese - Boyes

Hunwick - Rielly
Phaneuf - Corrado
Gardiner - Polak

On the blue line, Valiev, Lööv, and Percy are close to being NHLers. Brennan is a fringe guy but being used as a leader/permanent AHLer to stabilize the roster.

Only Corrado has yet to establish himself as a mainstay in the NHL.

Then at forward, you have a bad 1st line, a great 2nd line, a good 3rd line, and a great 4th line for the Marlies.

On the Leafs you have a good first line, mediocre 2nd line, mediocre 3rd line, and great 4th line.

So if Freddy the GOAT and his partners can shut down the Kadri line, there's a chance the Marlies forwards out-match the Leafs forwards. But that's a big if.

But when you come back to the D, it's no contest. Maybe if you add Harrington, the gap closes a bit but I would say Leafs take this easily.

Marlies lines change too often to establish an actual line up. I'll put Arcobello in Rupert position and that will make a big difference.

Also I don't think the Leafs will have a problem with the Marlies D that much, they are great offensively and are always being involved but they are pretty average in there own end.

I can see Reilly causing a lot of problems for the Marlies, but Marlies aggressiveness and high end Talent will cause the leafs trouble.

If the Marlies can stay disciplined i think they will put up a good fight. A lot of people here are underestimating the Marlies team.. yes the Leafs would win, but i don't believe it will be a blow out at all.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
All we find on the Marlies is some guys with potential to become better then what we have on the Leafs but the ones on the Leafs are further ahead in their development so this would be 4 easy games for the Leafs.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Toronto Marlies vs London Knights?

Yea, the leafs would beat the marlies pretty easily. I'd say in 5 games (marlies may win 1 game)

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Leafs sweep. But I do think the games are closer than some here think. Without JVR the leafs offence is so average. And the Marlies D has a bunch of fringe NHL D. Marlies probably don't score much. Probably 4-2, 3-1 scores ect.

The Leafs offense is 2nd lowest in the league with JVR, so it isn't anywhere close to average without.

I'd say these games would be a lot closer in play than most would think, but the couple of high end pieces we do have (Gardiner, Rielly, Kadri, JVR) would be making some spectacular individual plays against a much weaker Marlies defense.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Leafs would win in a shoot-out in the deciding game but the Marlies would have the leading scorers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TJ Brennan and Marc Arcobello are the highest scoring Marlies as D and F.

Neither player is considered good enough to be in Leafs 3rd D pairing or Leafs 4th line.

Every NHL team would annihilate their AHL team in a 7 game series even the Leafs.

A prospect non NHL pool is never >>> NHL roster.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I would view it as a game like Team Canada vs Team Latvia

One team is made up entirely of pros, the other is full of players trying to crack the big leagues.

Sure, the marlies may make a game close, or possibly even win 1, because of stellar goaltending and capitalizing on a couple of mistakes. But there should be no doubt in anyone's mind who should win and the play will be incredibly lopsided.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Interesting array of members who voted Marlies. :laugh:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I love this thread as it explains some posters understanding of the game....

100% agree.

To help them get back into reality.

Froese - led Marlies in PPG last year
Arcobello - a close second PPG on Marlies (1.29 vrs Nylander 1.33) this year
Brennan - tied as leading pts producer in all AHL

Then look at their records with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad