Who would win in a best of 7 series: Marlies V.S Leafs

OvenMittz*

2015-2016 Marlies
vs
2015-2016 Leafs

My Prediction: Leafs win in game 7, thanks to Babcocks coaching.

2 very different leagues, but Marlies are toying with AHL teams and are well a head in 1st. Could they compete and put up a fight against the last place leafs?

Leafs are last place in the NHL. Marlies are well ahead of the group. Here's a link of just how good they are compared to the rest of the AHL.

More food for thought. Arcobello is killing it in the AHL but is having trouble at the NHL level.

http://theleafsnation.com/2016/2/5/just-how-far-ahead-of-the-pack-are-the-toronto-marlies

Can the Marlies high-end Talent compete with the Rental roster filled leafs?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The high end talent would compete, the rest would struggle mightily. Leafs in 5, only giving one to Marlies because Nylander/Brown/Sparks steal it

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
not even a question, just look what arcobello is doing down there, he can't even make the leafs roster

OvenMittz*

Didn't we use to host friendly exhibitions between Leafs and their minor league club.?

why can't this happen this season? especially considering the circumstance (Last place Leafs, First place Marlies).

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Leafs in 4. Watch much the AHL op? It is so much slower and looser than the NHL.
Guys like Lupul and Matthias, though not doing much in the NHL, would chew up their corresponding match ups. Kadri is holding his own against the top centres in the NHL, he would feast on Nylander atm.

OvenMittz*

Leafs in 4. Watch much the AHL op? It is so much slower and looser than the NHL.
Guys like Lupul and Matthias, though not doing much in the NHL, would chew up their corresponding match ups. Kadri is holding his own against the top centres in the NHL, he would feast on Nylander atm.

I watched about 90% of the Marlie games this season 4 of them live.

The AHL is a lot looser than the NHL but with that said the Marlies aren't you're regular AHL team.. they are toying with the AHL and there season numbers show that (pushing for an AHL win record).

So it leaves some curiosity.. the leafs are last in the NHL so they are having trouble winning games against NHL level teams compared to the Marlies having no trouble with AHL teams which sparks my question, how far are they apart really?.

Which is why i can see the Marlies putting up a fight, i don't think it will be a sweep at all IMHO. Sparks has also proven he can hold his on in the NHL..

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The Leafs and its not even close. Mark Arcobello is one of the AHL's best scorers, but can't crack the Leafs lineup. Nazem Kadri would score 4 goals a game if TJ Brennan was defending against him.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I watched about 90% of the Marlie games this season 4 of them live.

The AHL is a lot looser than the NHL but with that said the Marlies aren't you're regular AHL team.. they are toying with the AHL and there season numbers show that (pushing for an AHL win record).

So it leaves some curiosity.. the leafs are last in the NHL so they are having trouble winning games against NHL level teams compared to the Marlies having no trouble with AHL teams which sparks my question, how far are they apart really?.

Which is why i can see the Marlies putting up a fight, i don't think it will be a sweep at all IMHO. Sparks has also proven he can hold his on in the NHL..
I watch most of their games too. They look great this year. They looked really good last year too. Against the Leafs though they would be outmatched at every single position man to man. It would take some serious luck and advantageous home ice line changes/matching to squeak out a win i think.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
The Leafs do have Rielly and Gardiner, remember?

This would be a no-contest. The Marlies' best defensemen are no match for those two... at this point anyway.

OvenMittz*

The Leafs do have Rielly and Gardiner, remember?

This would be a no-contest. The Marlies' best defensemen are no match for those two... at this point anyway.

So would you say

Marlies Offense > Leafs Offense

Leafs Defense > Marlies Defense

Defense > Offense.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Clean sweep for the leafs. Probably blowout wins.

There is a reason they play for the marlies. 90% of marlies players will bust

Not being rude. Thats just how prsopects work. Most bust

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
Clean sweep for the leafs. Probably blowout wins.

There is a reason they play for the marlies. 90% of marlies players will bust

Not being rude. Thats just how prsopects work. Most bust

Well, certainly not #62 or #42.

90% is an exaggeration. I'd say close to 55/60%, with some of the players that do make it being fringe-NHL'er/depth guys.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Who even voted marlies. Haha how can you be taken seriously if you vote marlies?

mikebel111*

Leafs would. Marlies have them talent wise. Leafs play a better overall game, and would win this series because of it

SingleAallStar

Nov 26, 2014
Leafs sweep. But I do think the games are closer than some here think. Without JVR the leafs offence is so average. And the Marlies D has a bunch of fringe NHL D. Marlies probably don't score much. Probably 4-2, 3-1 scores ect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad