Who would Detroit take at 4?

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes they're both right handed, yes that's not ideal. But plenty of teams make same-handed pairings work, that's not a huge factor to me. I'd gladly trade three average, balanced pairings for six great RHD.

Just looked those Sportsnet Top10 goals from 2019-20 season.

When you exclude the 3 Lacrosse goals, 6/7 goals were L-L and R-R pairings or R-L pairing (missing their real sides) on the ice, where this off-hand Defenceman was fooled totally by a forward.

There is a reason why almost all best pairs, with even mediocre guys work better as L-R. Go ask from any coach.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Hehe.

"What about Detroit?" - "ZOMG AWESOME!"
"What about Ottawa?" - "sure"

In all seriousness though, they did mention how the media coverage in a Canadian market is very intense. What would you guys say as far as comparing Detroit's media focus on hockey to any Canadian market? I feel like it's not that far off but I may be off base. As far as Detroit goes, my perception of the weighted happiness from sports teams just isn't uniform across the four teams. 1A and 1B are the Lions, without a doubt. Tigers are 2nd, then the Pistons, and then the Wings are last. In spite of that, with all the winning that the Wings did in the last 30 years, the media coverage is still quite significant.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Hehe.

"What about Detroit?" - "ZOMG AWESOME!"
"What about Ottawa?" - "sure"

In all seriousness though, they did mention how the media coverage in a Canadian market is very intense. What would you guys say as far as comparing Detroit's media focus on hockey to any Canadian market? I feel like it's not that far off but I may be off base. As far as Detroit goes, my perception of the weighted happiness from sports teams just isn't uniform across the four teams. 1A and 1B are the Lions, without a doubt. Tigers are 2nd, then the Pistons, and then the Wings are last. In spite of that, with all the winning that the Wings did in the last 30 years, the media coverage is still quite significant.

I think your rankings of teams is a little off base. I would say the wings and tigers are kinda similar. Tigers dont compete with the other 3 for viewers or anything through the summer but I wouldnt say the Pistons are ahead of the wings at all. I would have the lions number one with the wings and tigers tied for second. Detroits a great sports town though and supports those 3 teams well. I dont see the same kind of support for the Pistons however. I think part of that is that the Lions, Wings and Tigers also get helped out by Southwestern Ontario where they all have a lot of fans, while the pistons dont

The Detroit media is definitely easier on the hockey players than Canadian markts I think, but would be kinda close to Ottawa. Ottawas ownership takes basically all the heat off the players because Melnyk is such a complete gongshow. Even during the Karlsson Hoffman stuff people were still giving Melnyk shit basically saying he created a horrible culture there. Until hes gone those players will get more of a free pass than the other Canadian markets for sure

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm willing to bet that Yzerman has probably spoken to him and shown interest in drafting him at 4. Ottawa probably has spoken to him too, but might not be interested. It could very well explain his reaction to both.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
The Detroit media is definitely easier on the hockey players than Canadian markts I think, but would be kinda close to Ottawa. Ottawas ownership takes basically all the heat off the players because Melnyk is such a complete gongshow. Even during the Karlsson Hoffman stuff people were still giving Melnyk shit basically saying he created a horrible culture there. Until hes gone those players will get more of a free pass than the other Canadian markets for sure

Have Senators fans ever chanted "Sell the team!" during games? I imagine they must be awfully close to that point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

tenor.gif

Reactions: Darkseider

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
To be fair, they're only three years removed from being ONE game away (even goal) away from the SCF.

When's the last time we could say the same?

I don't really subscribe to this philosophy, but for a lot of people in sports fandom - 3 years ago is ancient history

I'd take 10 years of bubble finishes barely making/ missing the playoffs knowing that the owners are committed than the pain that Sens fans are in

It will only be a matter of years before guys like Tkachuk, Chabot, Brannstrom, Norris, Batherson, #3 and #5 this year, etc. price themselves out of town

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
To be fair, they're only three years removed from being ONE game away (even goal) away from the SCF.

When's the last time we could say the same?

What you said about Sens fans is fair. In regard to fans unrest (Sens versus Wings), I'd like to add that Wings fans have the residual effect of 4 championships in 11 years in addition to a beloved ownership (overall). Melnyk threatened to sell the team not that long ago.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
What you said about Sens fans is fair. In regard to fans unrest (Sens versus Wings), I'd like to add that Wings fans have the residual effect of 4 championships in 11 years in addition to a beloved ownership (overall). Melnyk threatened to sell the team not that long ago.

"Threatened?" We are waiting with baited breath. But he won't sell. He's a proud owner.

There's a reason the face of the Senators franchise signed with Detroit. Your practice facility with the family lounge overlooking the ice shows ownership dedicated to the comfort of their players. We don't have that in Ottawa.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think your rankings of teams is a little off base. I would say the wings and tigers are kinda similar. Tigers dont compete with the other 3 for viewers or anything through the summer but I wouldnt say the Pistons are ahead of the wings at all. I would have the lions number one with the wings and tigers tied for second. Detroits a great sports town though and supports those 3 teams well. I dont see the same kind of support for the Pistons however. I think part of that is that the Lions, Wings and Tigers also get helped out by Southwestern Ontario where they all have a lot of fans, while the pistons dont

I don't think Detroit is a difficult market to be an NHL player in at all. The fans are hyper critical of the GM, coach, and goaltender. The local news will obviously report on the games, but that's about it. It's never a topic on local radio because the fan base is relatively small but passionate, and radio is about appealing to the masses.

If you come to Detroit as a hockey player, you should know a few things. The Red Wings brand is still huge, and you will get your opportunity to play on national television more so than going to a smaller scale organization (who isn't super competitive), like the Panthers for example. And you know that locally, you will always play second fiddle to the Lions. That might be good, might be bad. Larkin has the role and the background to be in the discussion as the future face of Detroit sports (as Stafford fades), and he really isn't remotely close. Stafford, Miguel Cabrera, Blake Griffin all (still) have a leg up on him. With young players like Zadina and Seider being like....really close to relevance, they pale in comparison to recently drafted Okudah or Swift or Tork or Mize.

Truly, I think as far as major markets go, if you want to have the history, the prestige, but don't want the limelight....Detroit is probably near the top as a hockey player.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Truly, I think as far as major markets go, if you want to have the history, the prestige, but don't want the limelight....Detroit is probably near the top as a hockey player.

Good thing endorsements aren't as big of a deal for NHL players. At least not yet.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I really hope we pick Perffiti. I love how his hockey sense is thought of as the best in this year's class. The likelihood of Byfield/Stuzle is really small. And he is the best I think we can have.

Plus the center upside doesn't hurt either. He could just be a winger, but the potential of center IMHO makes him the best at 4 to me.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes, but...

Does he trust his eyes to Dr. Rahmani?

As if we didn't see that coming eventually, lol.

I can't imagine those local endorsements pay much, I mean how much money can an eye doctor spend on ads? For comparison, Ovechkin supposedly makes the most on endorsements and he's at $5M/yr. I think Tiger Woods was making more money in endorsements than on the course, but I gotta go so somebody else can look it up.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
As if we didn't see that coming eventually, lol.

I can't imagine those local endorsements pay much, I mean how much money can an eye doctor spend on ads? For comparison, Ovechkin supposedly makes the most on endorsements and he's at $5M/yr. I think Tiger Woods was making more money in endorsements than on the course, but I gotta go so somebody else can look it up.

We'll see who has the last laugh when they roll out the new Ford F-150 Askarov Edition.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Nobody outside the Detroit area would get it. Wouldn't be worth the parts complexity or tooling costs.
I think that Bronco will sell very well. All 4 doors fit in the back. The side rearview mirrors don't off when you take the doors off either. Both of those can't be said for it's major competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad