Who would Detroit take at 4?

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why is he going to be significantly better than Jiri Hudler?

One guy excels at enjoys the defensive side of things.

One guy was totally allergic to all things related to defense.

Also, Rossi has a way better compete level.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
One guy excels at enjoys the defensive side of things.

One guy was totally allergic to all things related to defense.

Also, Rossi has a way better compete level.

I'll give you Rossi is better on defense despite your hyperbole about Hudler's defense.
But Hudler competed as much as anyone and wasn't afraid to go to the net to score. So I won't give you the compete level.

Regardless of compete level/defense, Rossi is going to be limited as a 5'9 forward with average skating. He almost surely won't be the center, despite the predictions he will be.
And to me, that keeps him out of my wheelhouse at 4.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'll give you Rossi is better on defense despite your hyperbole about Hudler's defense.
But Hudler competed as much as anyone and wasn't afraid to go to the net to score. So I won't give you the compete level.

Regardless of compete level/defense, Rossi is going to be limited as a 5'9 forward with average skating. He almost surely won't be the center, despite the predictions he will be.
And to me, that keeps him out of my wheelhouse at 4.

I am not a big proponent of Rossi at 4, but I think his skating may get dinged a little more than it should.

I definitely think he will skate better than Hudler once he is fully developed. And I don’t think what I said about Hudler is hyperbole at all. It’s the exact reason why he bounced around the league the way he did, and why he was a healthy scratch numerous times despite being a good offensive player.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think Jarvis is more elusive, and yes has better skating in every aspect, maybe not power. I liked Jarvis a lot when I watched him, also brings a right-handed shot to the table, which we could use.

I really don't see Rossi being a better player than Larkin, he is kind of a similar player in my opinion without the physical gifts that make that work up a level. There is a reason the Horvat, Larkin etc type players aren't just try hard guys, they have good skating and size to play that style in terms of grinding star players.

Will see, if he is who we go with I hope to eat crow on it. At least you won't feel like he cheated you on effort.

Jarvis is one guy I have spent minimal time watching with my own eyes, just given the fact that I was looking so heavily at the top 6 or so names. I've taken some time to read back the Black Book on his profile, trying to get a rough idea of what he is as a player. On a familiar level, it seems on surface that he might be a slightly smaller, but quicker and maybe more "dynamic" version of Tyler Bertuzzi?

Super competitive and high effort level, with strong feel for the game allows him to be more efficient and productive than his natural tools would suggest he should be. Not a great shot, but has a keen understanding of when and how to release and place a shot. A lot of deception in his skating, setting up a defender as if he's going to zig, and then he zags. Very aware of what's going on the ice allows him to be a subtly effective as a set up man, and naturally plays into being good defensively and off the puck. Just someone who isn't necessarily going to bully or burn people to find himself quality chances, but has a knack for ending up in dangerous offensive situations.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I can see him being a first line winger I guess. I don't see a scenario where he drives a line from the center position in the NHL. I can say that, I could absolutely be wrong. I also don't see him as the #1 guy on a line when I watch him and think of him translating up.

I guess let me ask this, I know some will. But for some of this crowd that are more neutral on Rossi or have him in that 5-8 range, do you honestly see him eclipsing Larkin as a center in the NHL?
I honestly don’t think I know exactly what larkin is yet. I can see Rossi eclipsing all but one of his season performances thus far. I don’t think Rossi reaches 80 points. But he’s hard to judge.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I am not a big proponent of Rossi at 4, but I think his skating may get dinged a little more than it should.

I definitely think he will skate better than Hudler once he is fully developed. And I don’t think what I said about Hudler is hyperbole at all. It’s the exact reason why he bounced around the league the way he did, and why he was a healthy scratch numerous times despite being a good offensive player.

Hudler didn't bounce around the league until the last two years of his career.
He played 409 games with 1 team. 248 with another. And then at the end played on two teams for a total of 51 games.
He spent all his early years in Detroit.
He left as a UFA because Detroit couldn't come close to affording him.
He played all but his last 19 games of a 4-year deal with Calgary, finishing 13th in Hart voting one year, before Calgary, out of the playoff picture, traded the UFA-to-be at the deadline.
And then he signed in Dallas.

I'm not saying Rossi can't be better than Hudler. I just wouldn't expect it. And I definitely wouldn't expect it at center ice.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I honestly don’t think I know exactly what larkin is yet. I can see Rossi eclipsing all but one of his season performances thus far. I don’t think Rossi reaches 80 points. But he’s hard to judge.

Think about Larkin's tool box. He's not as slick as Rossi. But he's way better in traffic. He's got way better size. He's an elite skater.
Nothing about Rossi makes me think he has half a chance at being Larkin.

Maybe Yanni Gourde?

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Think about Larkin's tool box. He's not as slick as Rossi. But he's way better in traffic. He's got way better size. He's an elite skater.
Nothing about Rossi makes me think he has half a chance at being Larkin.

Maybe Yanni Gourde?
I think there are different ways to be successful in the nhl. Larkin is arguably one of the top 3 or 4 fastest skaters in the NHL. His game is built on that in a big way. You don’t have to be that though. Once you are in the Ozone speed isn’t that important. Maybe Rossi doesn’t score off the rush at a high rate in the nhl. He doesn’t need to. I’m just trying to sell myself on all these guys. The problem with this long of a wait is it just gives way too much time to pick them apart. Five or six months ago I thought the top eight in this draft was drool worthy, now I feel like I’m trying to convince myself they’re even impact players.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Jarvis is one guy I have spent minimal time watching with my own eyes, just given the fact that I was looking so heavily at the top 6 or so names. I've taken some time to read back the Black Book on his profile, trying to get a rough idea of what he is as a player. On a familiar level, it seems on surface that he might be a slightly smaller, but quicker and maybe more "dynamic" version of Tyler Bertuzzi?

Super competitive and high effort level, with strong feel for the game allows him to be more efficient and productive than his natural tools would suggest he should be. Not a great shot, but has a keen understanding of when and how to release and place a shot. A lot of deception in his skating, setting up a defender as if he's going to zig, and then he zags. Very aware of what's going on the ice allows him to be a subtly effective as a set up man, and naturally plays into being good defensively and off the puck. Just someone who isn't necessarily going to bully or burn people to find himself quality chances, but has a knack for ending up in dangerous offensive situations.
i think jarvis is more like a smaller larkin than bertuzzi.

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
They should go with Raymond or who they deem to be the best player available.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Maybe some of you guys knew this about Perfetti, but I definitely did not:
Retired NHLer Kris Draper is a family friend. What is the best advice he has given you?

"We've known the family for a long time, and I've had many conversations with him over the years. I had a recent conversation with him and one thing he said was, 'Even though times are tough right now, not getting in the gym and stuff, there's going to be other kids around the world working harder than you, and they'll be wanting it more.' So, he told me to have the mindset to be the best and work the hardest and everything will take care of itself. My play on the ice will take care of itself as long as I'm competing the hardest and being the hardest-working guy – especially in this period of time with the circumstances the way they are."

Top prospect Cole Perfetti driven to prove doubters wrong - TSN.ca

Explains why he seemed surprisingly eager to be drafted by the Wings considering the season they just had. Kid knows Draper, Osgood, etc. I guess he was committed to Michigan before he went to the OHL, too? Pretty strong ties in the state of Michigan, seems like.

My take on the Perfetti pick has been that you have to really be confident in this kid's work ethic and character, because he has some real work ahead of him. And if you're Kris Draper, you actually know that about him, one way or another. If we pass on him, it will be with more insight and information than any other team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe some of you guys knew this about Perfetti, but I definitely did not:

Top prospect Cole Perfetti driven to prove doubters wrong - TSN.ca

Explains why he seemed surprisingly eager to be drafted by the Wings considering the season they just had. Kid knows Draper, Osgood, etc. I guess he was committed to Michigan before he went to the OHL, too? Pretty strong ties in the state of Michigan, seems like.

My take on the Perfetti pick has been that you have to really be confident in this kid's work ethic and character, because he has some real work ahead of him. And if you're Kris Draper, you actually know that about him, one way or another. If we pass on him, it will be with more insight and information than any other team.

Hes the guy I want but thats exactly how I see it. The wings didnt need the combine to get a good idea about this kid. If they pass on him I'll be fine with it because they have more info than anyone about him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Byfield, Stutzle, or Perfetti. That might be my super simple short list for us.

I’d say Raymond, but I just get the feeling he’s not going top 5 (even though I think he should) with the season he had where he barely played.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Byfield, Stutzle, or Perfetti. That might be my super simple short list for us.

I’d say Raymond, but I just get the feeling he’s not going top 5 (even though I think he should) with the season he had where he barely played.
Raymond is a wild card. I read he was up to 6' and 175 pounds. These guys are so close I think that could actually tip the scale in his favor since Rossi, Perfetti, and Drysdale are all on the small side as well. Raymond could well be the best mix of skill, skating, and size. I read some concern about him but I think he spent a lot of this season focusing on nutrition and training, wouldn't be surprised to see it pay off.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Raymond is a wild card. I read he was up to 6' and 175 pounds. These guys are so close I think that could actually tip the scale in his favor since Rossi, Perfetti, and Drysdale are all on the small side as well. Raymond could well be the best mix of skill, skating, and size. I read some concern about him but I think he spent a lot of this season focusing on nutrition and training, wouldn't be surprised to see it pay off.

Man, if that’s accurate, I’m all about it.

@The Zetterberg Era and I have said a few times he has a skill set like Pastrnak, so I get what you mean. I guess my question is, if he’s bigger than I thought, why was his SHL team not more willing to give him minutes?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Does anyone knows about draws statistics among coming draft picks. ?. I believe winning draws is as important as speed, but I don't hear anything about it. At #4 I like to see us drafting someone very good at draws and someone who good PK.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Does anyone knows about draws statistics among coming draft picks. ?. I believe winning draws is as important as speed, but I don't hear anything about it. At #4 I like to see us drafting someone very good at draws and someone who good PK.

You think winning draws is as important as speed? Are you serious?

The difference of an elite faceoff guy and an average one is like 2 faceoff wins a game... and you think thats as important as skating? Come on man. Draws are something that you can practice way easier than improving your skating

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Rossi was very good in those regards, not sure about finding stats. We drafted Gallant who had freakishly good faceoff stats, and he was a noted PK guy....and we didn't bother with signing him so I am not sure they agree with you.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Man, if that’s accurate, I’m all about it.

@The Zetterberg Era and I have said a few times he has a skill set like Pastrnak, so I get what you mean. I guess my question is, if he’s bigger than I thought, why was his SHL team not more willing to give him minutes?
I couldn't find that article but this might be the same outlet and again they state 6' 175lbs, although others continue to publish 5'10" and 165. Would be nice to get those kind of updates on these guys.
Red Wings get Lucas Raymond with fourth pick in ESPN mock draft

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
You think winning draws is as important as speed? Are you serious?

The difference of an elite faceoff guy and an average one is like 2 faceoff wins a game... and you think thats as important as skating? Come on man. Draws are something that you can practice way easier than improving your skating
sure, good at draws very important you win and your team has a puck , you loose and you have to fight to get it beck . It helps to control game . Ive seen guys become good skaters and I almost never heard that draws are very importing , but that's how I see the game

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Rossi is a very good draw guy for a younger player. While that stat is important, it has a tendency to be very situational and I don't think it tips a balance in favor of using it on a #4 pick. Especially when I have deep concerns that Rossi will even play center, you could use his draw ability and have him shift back to wing after I guess. It would help you gamble on the PK, but it is much more important for us to find a dominate play driver.

Winning the faceoff isn't as important as Raymond doubling our threatening offensive zone time. We will see, but I certainly prefer the more dynamic talent than scrabbling a few more faceoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Why pick Rossi when Raymond is likely going to be the better winger? (possibly the 2nd best winger in this draft)

Moreover, why not pick Perfetti for the hope he could become an NHL centerman?

If you want BPA, you might should pick Drysdale. Though a top 4 of Seider/Drysdale/Powers/Hronek/McIsaak... and whoever else might be too redundant. Maybe we score 1 goal per game, and give up 0? That's Babcock hockey ladies and gents. Maybe he'll come back to DET and execute that.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Why pick Rossi when Raymond is likely going to be the better winger? (possibly the 2nd best winger in this draft)

Moreover, why not pick Perfetti for the hope he could become an NHL centerman?

If you want BPA, you might should pick Drysdale. Though a top 4 of Seider/Drysdale/Powers/Hronek/McIsaak... and whoever else might be too redundant. Maybe we score 1 goal per game, and give up 0? That's Babcock hockey ladies and gents. Maybe he'll come back to DET and execute that.
Higher potential doesn't guaranty outcome. Unlike Raymond Rossi had great end of the season. I will be very happy if Raymond have great beginning of the year and he mess up current standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad