Who would Detroit take at 4?

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
That depends what you are comparing Hayton to. Zadina and most definitely Q.Hughes have outplayed Hayton to this point. I would argue that Hayton still looks like a reach at this point compared to the 2 players taken directly after him.
Both Zadina and Hughes are 99 birth dates. I agree Hughes has outplayed his draft position. Zadina hasn’t -yet -in my opinion. These 3 have been given different opportunities, and are different ages. Let’s give this another couple of years to decide

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I feel like I keep talking myself into different players every other day; but they all come with a "but". "I like Rossi because he's mature, plays a solid two way game, a natural center, good skater...but..."; "I like Perfetti, he's pound for pound the most offensively gifted player in the draft outside of Lafreniere...but...".

They all feel like compromises. And the guy that I keep coming back to is Drysdale. He honestly feels like the only no-compromise player that will be available to us. And despite our overwhelming need for a legit top-line Center, the idea of getting a player as talented and as high of a ceiling as Drysdale is just too much to pass up. Is it a bad thing to have Seider anchoring one defensive pair for 20+ minutes a night and Drysdale anchoring the other? Giving the team two completely different defensive studs and giving this team a real strength. So despite it being a less needy position for us (specifically RHD); I think that Drysdale is as complete of a player we will find with the upside and floor that we need.

At least until I talk myself out of him tomorrow...sigh

Reactions: lilidk

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I feel like I keep talking myself into different players every other day; but they all come with a "but". "I like Rossi because he's mature, plays a solid two way game, a natural center, good skater...but..."; "I like Perfetti, he's pound for pound the most offensively gifted player in the draft outside of Lafreniere...but...".

They all feel like compromises. And the guy that I keep coming back to is Drysdale. He honestly feels like the only no-compromise player that will be available to us. And despite our overwhelming need for a legit top-line Center, the idea of getting a player as talented and as high of a ceiling as Drysdale is just too much to pass up. Is it a bad thing to have Seider anchoring one defensive pair for 20+ minutes a night and Drysdale anchoring the other? Giving the team two completely different defensive studs and giving this team a real strength. So despite it being a less needy position for us (specifically RHD); I think that Drysdale is as complete of a player we will find with the upside and floor that we need.

Don't stress positions. Can't say it enough. Just take the guy you like the best. If you think Drysdale is the best player, stick with that. If you end up with two elite pieces on the blueline, you cross that wonderful bridge when it happens. Having a 22-year-old, right side, 1st pairing defender as trade bait means you can basically ask for whatever the hell you want when it comes time to balance your roster.

You take Drysdale because Seider may not become what we hope. If Seider is just a fantastic 2nd pairing guy and 1st PK dude, that's still great, and you have a fit for both. We just don't know what things will look like in 5 years.

So take the best guy and worry about drafting your lineups when that time actually comes and they have reached their potential.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

That's exactly how I feel. Maybe we should come back to this conversation in September when we have more to talk about

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Because Drysdale is bro we should tell everyone we going to get him and if Ottawa like to get him , they might get him at 3.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I think the "but'" with Dysdale is, and I'm ready to duck here, that his ceiling isn't as high as what a lot of people would want/expect from pick 4. He's a safe pick. He's going to eat minutes. He's probably safe to be a consistent 45/55 pt guy. He's not going to be Cale Makar or Karlsson etc.

But honestly, Rossi, Perfetti, Drysdale, are all good picks. I don't think we can mess this up with how deep the draft is unless they really go off the board.

invsb321

Jun 27, 2020
Those midgets can be found from lower rounds.

Have you watched Rossi play? Huge upside while playing a 200 ft high IQ game is what we need. Perfetti has the hands / skill but he looks much more 1 dimensional in my opinion.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Have you watched Rossi play? Huge upside while playing a 200 ft high IQ game is what we need. Perfetti has the hands / skill but he looks much more 1 dimensional in my opinion.

You are overstating Rossi's upside. If Rossi had the home run upside of Perfetti or Raymond, he wouldn't be available at #4 overall. His offensive ceiling is lower, and his value is propped up by the fact that his game is mature and responsible. Lower ceiling, but higher floor from a skills perspective, then whether you view it as appropriate or not, you do have the added risk factor of the lack of prototypical size. I think he overcomes a lot of it, but I'd wager he loses a lot more of his effectiveness than people give him credit for.

I'd rather shoot for the moon with the home run potential of Perfetti, knowing that he might be the smartest kid in the draft. I have more faith in Perfetti rounding out his game and becoming a good first liner than I do in Rossi for tapping into an offensive potential that isn't limited by his size and becoming a first liner.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I think the "but'" with Dysdale is, and I'm ready to duck here, that his ceiling isn't as high as what a lot of people would want/expect from pick 4. He's a safe pick. He's going to eat minutes. He's probably safe to be a consistent 45/55 pt guy. He's not going to be Cale Makar or Karlsson etc.

But honestly, Rossi, Perfetti, Drysdale, are all good picks. I don't think we can mess this up with how deep the draft is unless they really go off the board.

I mean - if you could say that he isn't Karlsson (65+ pts and 2x Norris) but could say he lines up more with a solid all-round play with excellent positional play, elite skating and 50+ pts a season a la Doughty or OEL, still def. worth the 4th OA to me

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Don't stress positions. Can't say it enough. Just take the guy you like the best. If you think Drysdale is the best player, stick with that. If you end up with two elite pieces on the blueline, you cross that wonderful bridge when it happens. Having a 22-year-old, right side, 1st pairing defender as trade bait means you can basically ask for whatever the hell you want when it comes time to balance your roster.

You take Drysdale because Seider may not become what we hope. If Seider is just a fantastic 2nd pairing guy and 1st PK dude, that's still great, and you have a fit for both. We just don't know what things will look like in 5 years.

So take the best guy and worry about drafting your lineups when that time actually comes and they have reached their potential.

Right. I think that's where I've landed. All things being equal, take the position of need otherwise take the best player period. Drysdale feels like that player right now. His ceiling - Top Pairing Offensive Defensemen - is as high as Rossi/Perfetti/Raymond - Top Line Forward; with less of a glaring concern: size/skating/offense generation. He just feels like a complete package and even though we need a center, Drysdale feels like the best player available and turns our defense from an organizational strength to an competitive strength

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Right. I think that's where I've landed. All things being equal, take the position of need otherwise take the best player period. Drysdale feels like that player right now. His ceiling - Top Pairing Offensive Defensemen - is as high as Rossi/Perfetti/Raymond - Top Line Forward; with less of a glaring concern: size/skating/offense generation. He just feels like a complete package and even though we need a center, Drysdale feels like the best player available and turns our defense from an organizational strength to an competitive strength

Drysdale said in an interview that he wants to model his game after the likes of Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar. Great skaters with puck poise. That's music to my ears. There's a lot of like about that kid. I'd be excited if he ends up here. Having a great blueline again would be so enjoyable to watch.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

I mean, this basically sold me on him. The vision, patience, poise to see the play and allow it to develop and influence the lane, the effortless and fluid skating to so casually bend around to open ice, and the control and skill to bury the shot. I had to ask myself who on the Wings would/could have done this? The answer was no one.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t see the offensive upside of a Hughes or Makar with Drysdale. However, if we draft him I’ll be very excited.

Neither do I,but hes better defensively. He could definitely make a similar impact on the game when theyre all developed

Reactions: mantha39

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I agree with Drysdale being the best pick at 4. I'd be very happy with him or Lucas Raymond at this point.

Seider looks poised to be a top pairing defenseman. I've been very impressed with how his game has transitioned to North America. Surprisingly physical too.
Hronek has shown some great talent at the NHL level already. A good combination of offensive production and also getting under the skin of opposing players.
Lindstrom could be that second pairing 'Brad Stuart' type rock on the backend. Not as physical obviously, but simply dependable in his own end.

Drysdale would fit in superbly with that group. I have high hopes that McIsaac will be a stud too.

Reactions: Filppula

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I agree with Drysdale being the best pick at 4. I'd be very happy with him or Lucas Raymond at this point.

Seider looks poised to be a top pairing defenseman. I've been very impressed with how his game has transitioned to North America. Surprisingly physical too.
Hronek has shown some great talent at the NHL level already. A good combination of offensive production and also getting under the skin of opposing players.
Lindstrom could be that second pairing 'Brad Stuart' type rock on the backend. Not as physical obviously, but simply dependable in his own end.

Drysdale would fit in superbly with that group. I have high hopes that McIsaac will be a stud too.

And we're likely picking a stud defenseman next draft with our first pick as well...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
And we're likely picking a stud defenseman next draft with our first pick as well...

Waaaayy to soon to project that so no reason in taking that into account for this years pick. I'm not saying thats what youre doing but Ive seen it mentioned in here a couple times. The dmen look good next year but the top 4 players contending for first right now are forwards. I would love Owen Power but guys like Kent Johnson or Aatu Raty could definitely go ahead of him

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm actually surprised at the amount of people who are on the Drysdale train. Yeah, I get it, you can never have too many good D, and our blueline would be set for 15 years if we picked him...

I'd just like to remind people that we averaged exactly 2.00 goals/game this season. This was last by a whopping 0.53 goal/GP, and was the 3rd worst scoring team in the last 20 years. While everyone is allowed an opinion, I just can't wrap my head around picking a defenceman with our first pick for the 2nd year in a row when we scored at a historically bad rate last year. Sure a healthy Mantha should help those numbers a bit, and with Zadina on the team all year it should help a bit as well, but....2 goals per game is astonishingly bad, and we should draft a defenceman??

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
my choice today is Rossi and at 32 Khustnutdinov . Their game has similarity , just like D &Z. Euro tweens 2.0 I guess

Reactions: Ulysses31

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm actually surprised at the amount of people who are on the Drysdale train. Yeah, I get it, you can never have too many good D, and our blueline would be set for 15 years if we picked him...

I'd just like to remind people that we averaged exactly 2.00 goals/game this season. This was last by a whopping 0.53 goal/GP, and was the 3rd worst scoring team in the last 20 years. While everyone is allowed an opinion, I just can't wrap my head around picking a defenceman with our first pick for the 2nd year in a row when we scored at a historically bad rate last year. Sure a healthy Mantha should help those numbers a bit, and with Zadina on the team all year it should help a bit as well, but....2 goals per game is astonishingly bad, and we should draft a defenceman??

I was #TeamForward all the way until we dropped to 4th. I think many of the forwards (likely) available at 4 this year are huge risks... Lucas Raymond being the safest and my second choice, but that's my opinion.

Our defense, much like our offense, is trash. I like Drysdale's game and I think he compliments what we have now as well as fills a need going forward. He'll be able to help on both defense and offense.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
My choice is Perfetti.

But, does anyone else think that Stutzle could fall out of the top 3 because of his ‘lack of a shot’?

I don't know if it's why he would, but it's why I don't have him in my top 3 at this stage. I prefer both Perfetti and Raymond over Stutzle based solely on the fact that they are multi dimensional offensive threats.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

I would also say that offense starts from the backend - both in terms of getting possession, making a good breakout pass, carrying the puck through neutral ice, and keeping the puck in the zone and the ice tilted in our favor. I have no doubt that adding someone like Drysdale - make all of our offense better

Reactions: jkutswings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad