Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It is, but maybe Ottawa ends up preferring someone like Perfetti or Rossi as a C over Stutzle as a C? Who knows. The draft never seems to play out the way we think it does. I think the consensus 3 will absolutely be gone but it's not like crazier things haven't happened..

I don't think it was a mistake that their local beat writer mouth pieces in the Super Friends immediately put out articles on Drysdale. Now we have heard other things, but to me that was a shot across at Ottawa, if you want him we are going to take him 4. We will see if that shakes one the big 3 loose.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I don't think it was a mistake that their local beat writer mouth pieces in the Super Friends immediately put out articles on Drysdale. Now we have heard other things, but to me that was a shot across at Ottawa, if you want him we are going to take him 4. We will see if that shakes one the big 3 loose.
One can dream

Reactions: jkutswings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It is, but maybe Ottawa ends up preferring someone like Perfetti or Rossi as a C over Stutzle as a C? Who knows. The draft never seems to play out the way we think it does. I think the consensus 3 will absolutely be gone but it's not like crazier things haven't happened.. Regardless of what happens at this point, barring one of the top 3 falling, I feel like Yzerman is going to go with Sanderson and an outside shot of Jarvis. The more tape I watch of Sanderson, the more I can see why he's flying up draft boards..

I've got Sanderson at 3.
Not sure if anyone else does, but if they've got Sanderson or Drysdale there, we get Byfield or Stutzle.
Byfield lost a little steam over the last 2 months, in terms of where he sat in rankings. Stutzle picked up some steam. If one falls to 4, I'm guessing it's Byfield.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've got Sanderson at 3.
Not sure if anyone else does, but if they've got Sanderson or Drysdale there, we get Byfield or Stutzle.
Byfield lost a little steam over the last 2 months, in terms of where he sat in rankings. Stutzle picked up some steam. If one falls to 4, I'm guessing it's Byfield.

Big center with skill? The projections won't mean anything. He'll go top 3, just like Dach. Dach's projections were anywhere from 4 to 12.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Big center with skill? The projections won't mean anything. He'll go top 3, just like Dach. Dach's projections were anywhere from 4 to 12.
Oh wise distributor of the orangest of safety mesh, and dearest purveyor of Bench Bucks, on behalf of all those still reeling from the draft lottery:

Let me grab my umbrella if you're going to continue to rain on my parade. Jerk. :D
let-me-grab-my-umbrella-if-youre-going-to-continue-to-rain-on-my-parade-jerk-d6299.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Lots of defensemen on that list. Foward Marat Khusnutdinov (2-way center) seems interesting with our 2nd pick, but is only 5'9".
good scouting & article, LWOH
Marat Khusnutdinov Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #42

"Khusnutdinov’s game is reminiscent of Dylan Larkin, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill or ability."

...I'd draft @2nd. That LWOH article makes him sound like a future (Top2 pick) #1C w/skill, speed, shot, passing, 2-way, D, etc.
Marat Khusnutdinov at eliteprospects.com

"Small two-way center.. great skater.. uses his quickness to win pucks all over the ice, showing skills and smarts once he gets possession, Draftin Europe 2018"

Last edited:

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
I've got Sanderson at 3.

I was skeptical at first, I can see why you've got Sanderson that high. Honestly, I've never been that hot on Byfield, especially since the league has started shifting toward a speed>size dynamic. Not saying that Byfield is a bad skater by any means, I just don't think it's anywhere near as important as it's made out to be. Sanderson's stick work, hockey IQ and ability to close the gap from what I've viewed are elite. Kid's fearless on the pinch, his transitions are very good. A month ago I think I would've been disappointed with Sanderson at 4, right now, I'd be very happy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, for sure Byfield is not falling anywhere. You just won't have that Natural center + size + skating + goalscoring + playmaking from anywhere. Guy has no weaknesses, even if he would lack some will for physical play and intensity. There's just too many good tools on the package.

Other potential centers all have this speculations, "Rossi is a natural center but many think he'll be a NHL winger cause his size". Same talk for Perfetti with different reasons. Stutzle played whole season as a winger in Germany as being a natural center. Others in the Top8 are wingers. Lundell is the next natural center after Byfield who is projected to be NHL Center as a lock.

These guys won't fall in a draft. They probably rise, but I can almost guarantee, that they won't fall.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah - but if one defense sneaks in... one of the Cs has to fall.

This is the best case scenario for Detroit at this point. I'd be shocked if Byfield wasn't picked before Stutzle. My personal preference of the two is Stutzle because I think he's got the higher floor and an equal to or higher than ceiling. Seider flattening someone then sending an outlet pass to Stutzle who uses his speed to break into the zone, circles the net and sets up an open Zadina for a goal would be a thing of beauty.

If that doesn't happen I'm still sold on Rossi as the next best forward. I've been watching a lot of Perfetti's highlight reels again and additional scouting reports. I'd still prefer Rossi over Perfetti but won't be as despondent if we end up with him. He really needs to improve on his skating and a good chunk of his offense comes from perimeter play so if we draft him, I'd like to see Perfetti make more plays from below the circles and closer to the net. That and his skating strength need to improve.

Here's the results of the 2 players from the OHL coaches poll.

Marco Rossi
Voted Eastern Conference's best playmaker, best shootout shooter, smartest player (2nd year in a row!) 3rd best penalty killer, 2nd best on faceoffs, and 2nd best defensive forward.

Cole Perfetti
Voted Western conference's best playmaker, best shootout shooter, smartest player, and best stickhandler.

2019-20 OHL Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I've got Sanderson at 3.

Yeah - but if one defense sneaks in... one of the Cs has to fall.

This is the best case scenario for Detroit at this point.

Dorion has said thay'll pick a forward at 3rd and Robiltaille & Blake have said that they'll pick a forward at #2.

So keep dreaming of this "weak defenceman passing these elite forwards". Maybe Sanderson goes 1st. :laugh:

First defenceman won't go earlier than 5th and if someone likes to bet big money against that, I'm all-in.

Reactions: saskytaxi

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Dorion has said thay'll pick a forward at 3rd and Robiltaille & Blake have said that they'll pick a forward at #2.

So keep dreaming of this "weak defenceman passing these elite forwards". Maybe Sanderson goes 1st. :laugh:

First defenceman won't go earlier than 5th and if someone likes to bet big money against that, I'm all-in.

I don't think it's likely, but I can easily see Sanderson or Drysdale going 3. And four is a definite possibility, too.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Man, I don't think I can get behind a player with all these character flaws and red flags..... /s

The Red Wings' No. 4 draft pick: Making the case for Cole...

A little snippet:

"One of his most significant “wow” moments this season came in late January, in a road game at Kingston. Saginaw was one of the top teams in the OHL, and Kingston was near the very bottom, yet the Frontenacs held a 4-0 lead on the Spirit early in the third period.

“He stood up on the bench and was verbally getting into guys — in a good way, but challenging guys to be better — and like, we have 16 minutes to right the ship,” Lazary recalled.

Then, Perfetti went out and backed it up. His line scored five goals in the game’s final 16 minutes, with Perfetti scoring two of them himself and assisting on two more. Saginaw won, 5-4."

Reactions: Henkka

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Man, I don't think I can get behind a player with all these character flaws and red flags..... /s

A little snippet:

"One of his most significant “wow” moments this season came in late January, in a road game at Kingston. Saginaw was one of the top teams in the OHL, and Kingston was near the very bottom, yet the Frontenacs held a 4-0 lead on the Spirit early in the third period.

“He stood up on the bench and was verbally getting into guys — in a good way, but challenging guys to be better — and like, we have 16 minutes to right the ship,” Lazary recalled.

Then, Perfetti went out and backed it up. His line scored five goals in the game’s final 16 minutes, with Perfetti scoring two of them himself and assisting on two more. Saginaw won, 5-4."

More red flags:

"And complementing that ability is the way Lazary said Perfetti studies hockey when he’s not playing it, calling him “a hockey nerd” who closely watches what top players in the NHL do."

"It also speaks to Perfetti’s intangible qualities, which include, as Lazary explained, being easy to coach “because you don’t have to sell him on anything.” He raved about Perfetti as a person, in addition to as a player."

"Whether it’s getting faster, stronger or (ideally) both, that’s a key question to put to rest, and Lazary said Perfetti is “on a mission to fix that and improve that because it’s a controllable circumstance.”

“Because you’re going to be challenged in your rebuild, there’s going to be tough moments, and there’s going to be big games where you need character,” Lazary said. “And a guy like Cole Perfetti is somebody you can build your franchise on, because of who he is as a person and obviously his talent as a player.”

lightthelamp13

Apr 15, 2009

A little snippet:

The part about him being on a "mission" to improve his skating could be significant. These kids getting an entire summer to work on things is going to make the draft even more of a wildcard come October. Even if Perfetti gains an extra step, nobody will see him play before the draft again (most likely). Compared to the Europeans who are scheduled to be starting up in September.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Someone who has success against adults in September
Rossi,Askarov, Holtz, Raymond. I don't believe we could trade down ,just like last year.

invsb321

Jun 27, 2020
After watching Rossi I like his game. Great hockey awareness and IQ. He plays a 200 ft game already and ends up with the puck a lot in the defensive end. That is huge for transition. He can run a power play smoothly and efficiently. Yes his size is a knock, but maybe his awareness and play making make up for it. We need to draft home run picks and he has the upside for that. I don't think Stevie should go for the safe option with the 4OA.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After watching Rossi I like his game. Great hockey awareness and IQ. He plays a 200 ft game already and ends up with the puck a lot in the defensive end. That is huge for transition. He can run a power play smoothly and efficiently. Yes his size is a knock, but maybe his awareness and play making make up for it. We need to draft home run picks and he has the upside for that. I don't think Stevie should go for the safe option with the 4OA.

Those midgets can be found from lower rounds.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yep.

Hayton too looked like reach at draft. Now it looks great.

That depends what you are comparing Hayton to. Zadina and most definitely Q.Hughes have outplayed Hayton to this point. I would argue that Hayton still looks like a reach at this point compared to the 2 players taken directly after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad