Who would be a better 3C, Blueger or Suter?

Who would be a better 3C, Blueger or Suter?

• Total voters

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
this is just fantasy. there's no way hoglander and podkolzin play ahead of joshua and garland. if those lines are used the 4th will get way more usage than the 3rd. it's way more likely it's suter - blueger - garland and joshua - aman - whoever is leftover than what you posted

There's no way Hoglander or Podkolzin plays more than Joshua who averaged 11 minutes a night last year?

Why would we have Suter and Blueger on the same line when they are far superior centers than Aman?

The centre depth is almost certainly going to be Petey, Miller, Suter, Blueger with Aman being our 5C.

What you suggested isn't likely at all in any context...

Did people not watch last year or what? Nils Aman was not good at centre lol.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I actually agree with pretty much all of this.

Garland+Miller doesn't work. I don't see any point to Mikheyev riding outside the Top-6 where he brings a much needed element. I could definitely see this being the way they ultimately roll with things, and the 3/4 lines basically saw off in terms of raw minutes...more just a difference in deployment.

Except for...

Joshua isn't a very good player. He's a part of what got Aman ventilated in a lot of ways.

Ultimately, if a 10-12 minute a night banger who can't really keep up with the player consistently in Joshua is the difference between "softest lineup of all time"...the roster is absolutely butter soft to begin with, and that ain't changing. Which is unfortunately the reality of our situation.

The only thing PDG doesn't do better than Joshua is rattle the boards as much. He's better offensively, defensively, faster, smarter, and a better PK contributor. Joshua as basically a "poor man's enforcer" doesn't meaningfully toughen up our roster. You have to hope that the addition of guys like Cole and Soucy on the back end is going to make a bigger dent in that problem than Joshua chasing the play ever did.

I think if PDG is a better player, it's not by much. Joshua brings a way more needed element that this current forward group does not have.

Toch loves Joshua.. I just can't see Toch putting PDG ahead of Joshua.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Hate to break it to you but that line-up isn't much better if any than the others. That 3rd line has the possibility of being absolutely brutal. We do have to keep the puck out of our own net. Unfortunately no matter what configuration we come up with we're still saddled with over priced tiny and defensively poor wingers. You also don't know what works until you try it. That's what practice is for.
Why would that 3rd line be possibility brutal? Podz and Suts are defensively responsible players and Hoglander has shown a lot of offensive upside. I mean you can promote Hogs to second line and have Mik/beau drop to the third line if you want more balance.

All three players can be adequate in their respective roles on that line. It would be more of a 3a/3b situation if I had to guess.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
None of these are serious lineups right? Good golly LMAO

Kuz and Petey were great with Beauvillier and Mikehyev... speedy forecheckers that can retrieve the puck. So let's pair them with the slowest forward on our team! Garland and Miller... we already tried that with middling results.. so let's try that again... by adding some 4th liners to the table (PDG/Joshua)?

Why is everyone trying to re-invent the wheel here?

The easiest lineup to put together is the most probable.

1: Kuz-Petey-Beau/Mik (both Beau and Mik had success, therefore interchangeable)

2: Beau/Mik-Miller-Boeser (Boeser and Miller worked well as a duo last year - naturally you want to put your best forwards on your top lines... Beau and Mik are the best top six options we have so let's put them there)

3: Hogs-Suter-Podz (three good offensive players to create a good scoring third line)

4: Joshua-Blueger-Garland (Garland played well with Joshua and Aman last year. Bleuger's an upgrade over Aman.. this should be an effective fourth line)

PDG, Aman as your 13th and 14th is fine. That's where they are right now in terms of abilities anyway.
You can really throw anyone beside Petey and Kuz and it'll be fine. I don't really agree that Mik or Beau are the only ones we should consider for that role. Ideally we would want Boeser to BE a 1st line RW so I think it makes sense to give him that opportunity and roll with it to see if he can ever rediscover his form. If he can't then bump him down to the 2nd line and if he can, then we can decide whether or not to keep him or trade him.

Garland is an offensive player, might as well play him in the top6 if Miller is the one getting the soft matchups and pair them with PDG/Joshua for some physicality.

with Mik and Beau on the 3rd line, you can switch Bluegar with Suter depending if you want that line to score or to defend. I think putting those 2 guys makes up for the 3C being below average and maybe help win the matchup more.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think Podkolzin has a lot of promise defensively, but I wouldn't call him "good defensively" just yet, especially based on his play last season, in which he was barely keeping up and just generally looked out of sorts at the NHL level. I'm hoping he returns to form and takes a step (same with Hoglander), but I kind of need to see that turn-around first before being comfortable with them both on the third line (especially centered by a guy who seems to be a bit of a question-mark himself in Suter).

I also completely agree that DiGiuseppe is currently better overall than Joshua.

Last edited:

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I think they pencil in Suter as 3C, but secretly hoping Blueger returns to form as he plays more of the style you want out of a heavy matchup 3C.

I like the Suter signing either ways, he's a good utility player that can play top 6 C or W when there are injuries.

Reactions: biturbo19

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I actually agree with pretty much all of this.

Garland+Miller doesn't work. I don't see any point to Mikheyev riding outside the Top-6 where he brings a much needed element. I could definitely see this being the way they ultimately roll with things, and the 3/4 lines basically saw off in terms of raw minutes...more just a difference in deployment.

Except for...

Joshua isn't a very good player. He's a part of what got Aman ventilated in a lot of ways.

Ultimately, if a 10-12 minute a night banger who can't really keep up with the player consistently in Joshua is the difference between "softest lineup of all time"...the roster is absolutely butter soft to begin with, and that ain't changing. Which is unfortunately the reality of our situation.

The only thing PDG doesn't do better than Joshua is rattle the boards as much. He's better offensively, defensively, faster, smarter, and a better PK contributor. Joshua as basically a "poor man's enforcer" doesn't meaningfully toughen up our roster. You have to hope that the addition of guys like Cole and Soucy on the back end is going to make a bigger dent in that problem than Joshua chasing the play ever did.

Joshua is barely an enforcer at that. He's more of a destitute, shopping cart full of cans, hasn't bathed in 14 years, Todd Bertuzzi. :biglaugh:He actually has some offensive flair but unfortunately he plays like he thinks he's on the second line instead of the fourth a lot of times.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Why would that 3rd line be possibility brutal? Podz and Suts are defensively responsible players and Hoglander has shown a lot of offensive upside. I mean you can promote Hogs to second line and have Mik/beau drop to the third line if you want more balance.

All three players can be adequate in their respective roles on that line. It would be more of a 3a/3b situation if I had to guess.

If Hogs and Podz bring the same game that got them sent down last year that line will be brutal right off the bat. Add to that Hogs and Suter are both tiny and not great defensively and it's far from a surefire thing ... it has the possibility of being a brutal line. We all hope Hogs and Podz have come a long way but really we have no clue how these two 2022-23 AHL players will be come September. I don't even think Podz will be on the opening day line-up to be honest. He can be sent to Abby without having to clear waivers I believe. It's also possible Pearson is in the line-up, isn't he still supposed to be ready for camp? Also, I kind of doubt Tocchet is going to put both of those guys who struggled last year on the same line, even if Podz is up with the Canucks.

Hoglander is also brutal at finishing. I really hope he's worked on that a lot this summer.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Voted Suter because I think our 3rd line will be more of an offensive line and I think Blueger will be trusted with more defensive duties. But at the end of the day I see Blueger playing more minutes.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You can really throw anyone beside Petey and Kuz and it'll be fine. I don't really agree that Mik or Beau are the only ones we should consider for that role. Ideally we would want Boeser to BE a 1st line RW so I think it makes sense to give him that opportunity and roll with it to see if he can ever rediscover his form. If he can't then bump him down to the 2nd line and if he can, then we can decide whether or not to keep him or trade him.

Garland is an offensive player, might as well play him in the top6 if Miller is the one getting the soft matchups and pair them with PDG/Joshua for some physicality.

with Mik and Beau on the 3rd line, you can switch Bluegar with Suter depending if you want that line to score or to defend. I think putting those 2 guys makes up for the 3C being below average and maybe help win the matchup more.

The thing with Boeser on Petey's line with Kuzmenko is that it's insanely redundant, and doesn't really contribute any of what that dynamic duo actually need in terms of spadework and supporting play.

We've also seen that Boeser can be productive playing with Miller. It's a weird fit but whatever. I wouldn't mess with it. Just treat Pete-Kuz and Miller-Boeser as fixed duos and configure from there. I do agree that you could pretty easily flip/flop a lot of other guys in various combinations into those other two roles riding shotgun though.

I think Podkolzin has a lot of promise defensively, but I wouldn't call him "good defensively" just yet, especially based on his play last season, in which he was barely keeping up and just generally looked out of sorts at the NHL level. I'm hoping he returns to form and takes a step (same with Hoglander), but I kind of need to see that turn-around first before being comfortable with them both on the third line (especially centered by a guy who seems to be a bit of a question-mark himself in Suter).

I also completely agree that DiGiuseppe is currently better overall than Joshua.

Agreed. Podkolzin's defensive prowess is currently sort of...unrealized. There's flashes of it but i'm not sure how much he's demonstrated he's ready for a hard matchup role. He does also bring the potential size, puck protecting, board battling sort of capability to the mix if he's confident and on his game though, which is the other aspect our Top-6 is light on.

Joshua is barely an enforcer at that. He's more of a destitute, shopping cart full of cans, hasn't bathed in 14 years, Todd Bertuzzi. :biglaugh:He actually has some offensive flair but unfortunately he plays like he thinks he's on the second line instead of the fourth a lot of times.

:laugh: I just really don't see Joshua as a critical player in our Top-12 whatsoever. He was an fine gamble to see if we could get a nice physical 4th liner or something, but he's just been really underwhelming and entirely replaceable. Players like him don't change the physicality and makeup of your team significantly enough to play him over the better skater.

If Hogs and Podz bring the same game that got them sent down last year that line will be brutal right off the bat. Add to that Hogs and Suter are both tiny and not great defensively and it's far from a surefire thing ... it has the possibility of being a brutal line. We all hope Hogs and Podz have come a long way but really we have no clue how these two 2022-23 AHL players will be come September. I don't even think Podz will be on the opening day line-up to be honest. He can be sent to Abby without having to clear waivers I believe. It's also possible Pearson is in the line-up, isn't he still supposed to be ready for camp? Also, I kind of doubt Tocchet is going to put both of those guys who struggled last year on the same line, even if Podz is up with the Canucks.

Hoglander is also brutal at finishing. I really hope he's worked on that a lot this summer.

This is true. I think it's also why it's important to put guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin in positions to succeed though. Yes, opportunity has to be "earned" to an extent. But for players like Hoglander in particular...he's just not cut from the right cloth to "work his way up" from the 4th line or whatever. He doesn't seem to have the tools for that.

Nagging him on his lack of finishing ability is weird though. He did seem to get the yips a little bit as his confidence waned, and when he started to fancy himself some sort of creative puck-carrying playmaker, things started to really turn on him. But fundamentally...the strength of Hoglanders game is as a quick short-area finisher. That was his bread and butter when he burst in as a rookie with success.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The thing with Boeser on Petey's line with Kuzmenko is that it's insanely redundant, and doesn't really contribute any of what that dynamic duo actually need in terms of spadework and supporting play.

We've also seen that Boeser can be productive playing with Miller. It's a weird fit but whatever. I wouldn't mess with it. Just treat Pete-Kuz and Miller-Boeser as fixed duos and configure from there. I do agree that you could pretty easily flip/flop a lot of other guys in various combinations into those other two roles riding shotgun though.

Agreed. Podkolzin's defensive prowess is currently sort of...unrealized. There's flashes of it but i'm not sure how much he's demonstrated he's ready for a hard matchup role. He does also bring the potential size, puck protecting, board battling sort of capability to the mix if he's confident and on his game though, which is the other aspect our Top-6 is light on.

:laugh: I just really don't see Joshua as a critical player in our Top-12 whatsoever. He was an fine gamble to see if we could get a nice physical 4th liner or something, but he's just been really underwhelming and entirely replaceable. Players like him don't change the physicality and makeup of your team significantly enough to play him over the better skater.

This is true. I think it's also why it's important to put guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin in positions to succeed though. Yes, opportunity has to be "earned" to an extent. But for players like Hoglander in particular...he's just not cut from the right cloth to "work his way up" from the 4th line or whatever. He doesn't seem to have the tools for that.

Nagging him on his lack of finishing ability is weird though. He did seem to get the yips a little bit as his confidence waned, and when he started to fancy himself some sort of creative puck-carrying playmaker, things started to really turn on him. But fundamentally...the strength of Hoglanders game is as a quick short-area finisher. That was his bread and butter when he burst in as a rookie with success.

I agree on those two combos Petey/Kuz & Miller/Boeser as well. It would be great if Pods could even get that stingy defence part down and it would help the team a lot.

On Hoglander I just felt that he actually had some really really strong games where he was making incredibly smart plays and making his line click, with some beautiful tic tac toe passing ... only to get the puck back in prime scoring areas just him and the goalie and not being able to finish it. It kind of was the difference in winning and losing a couple games I thought. Definitely some momentum changers missed.

I think we had this discussion before though and didn't really see eye to eye on it. It wasn't some hill I'm willing to die on and I didn't dwell on it but that's my distinct recall of his play last year and the one before whenever I reflect. I watch most of the games with my dad and it was a regular part of our discourse. Maybe it wasn't fair to expect him to bury all of those but two or three big game winners would have done a lot for his confidence and his outlook on the roster imho. I will definitely be paying a little extra attention to this facet if he is a regular moving forward. No ill will whatsoever towards Nils. Hopefully he gets 20 and blows that doubt of mine out of the water.

His career average is 9.3% and is about average from what I can gather. I'll admit it's a stat I don't look at much although I have heard the comments regarding Kuzmenko's 27.3% to be insanely high.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I agree on those two combos Petey/Kuz & Miller/Boeser as well. It would be great if Pods could even get that stingy defence part down and it would help the team a lot.

On Hoglander I just felt that he actually had some really really strong games where he was making incredibly smart plays and making his line click, with some beautiful tic tac toe passing ... only to get the puck back in prime scoring areas just him and the goalie and not being able to finish it. It kind of was the difference in winning and losing a couple games I thought. Definitely some momentum changers missed.

I think we had this discussion before though and didn't really see eye to eye on it. It wasn't some hill I'm willing to die on and I didn't dwell on it but that's my distinct recall of his play last year and the one before whenever I reflect. I watch most of the games with my dad and it was a regular part of our discourse. Maybe it wasn't fair to expect him to bury all of those but two or three big game winners would have done a lot for his confidence and his outlook on the roster imho. I will definitely be paying a little extra attention to this facet if he is a regular moving forward. No ill will whatsoever towards Nils. Hopefully he gets 20 and blows that doubt of mine out of the water.

His career average is 9.3% and is about average from what I can gather. I'll admit it's a stat I don't look at much although I have heard the comments regarding Kuzmenko's 27.3% to be insanely high.

The thing with Hoglander is that...you watch what he did as a rookie that was so promising and quite nearly all of the positive impact he had offensively was within about ten feet of the net. Within that Pentagon from the goal line - "no zone" - hashmarks of the faceoff circle. The "high danger slot". That's his spot. That's where he's able to use his outstanding agility and puck-tracking to make an impact. Mostly as a finisher.

It's not altogether different from what Kuzmenko excels in, but Kuz is obviously a far more nuanced player who is a master of those short areas. Hoglander is still learning.

It's the same idea though. Neither guy is a laser beam sniper that's going to beat goalies from range. Neither guy is really an overly creative playmaker. They're both just small goal-scorers whose best ability is in use that agility and leverage to bang pucks home from that "home base" area. Kuzmenko has a much better feel for "getting open" at the right moment.

It just seems like if Hoglander is going to make anything of himself, it's going to be as a Viktor Arvidsson type Top-6 scorer. Arvidsson also probably has a better shot, but by and large...he's the same in that he's just a tenacious little guy who does all of his best work around the net area. The big area with Arvidsson that differentiates him, is that he's also probably faster in terms of long-speed and that has helped him become a pretty defensively reliable player. Hoglander has that obstacle in front of him as well.

Reactions: ValStar27

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Don't know if we will have traditional 3rd and 4th lines. Give Blueger the more defensive minded wingers and match up, and give Suter more offensive ones. Or mix and match and use both. They are both good enough and barring injuries should both be used in defensive situations. Suter just has more upside offensively they should try to milk.

ValStar27

Oct 31, 2016
Given that Tocchet didn't have Mik at his disposal for a long sample size to see whether he preferred him bolstering a matchup line or elevating the Petey line to elite status it's a tough call either way the top six seems easier to set up with two lines that should be able to take most matchups. I could see a world where Hog/Pod have a pretty even camp and just because he is waiver eligible, Pod starts in Abby so Tocchet can see Hoglander to start. Given the minutes he got last year PDG seems to be a perfect 4th liner for this team who gets bumped up mid game when Tocchet doesn't like the way some of the skill guys are playing lol

I feel like in perfect world the 4th line is Joshua/Blueger/PDG but that seems to leave the inevitable mix of Garland, Hog, Pod to fill in with Suter.

I would probably go;

Mik Petey Kuz
Beau Miller Boeser
Joshua Blueger Garland
Hog Suter PDG

and then Podkolzin, Joshua, Hoglander, PDG would all rotate in and out, sharing 3 spots as needed for matchups. Given what they put up for points last year, neither Podkolzin nor Hoglander are really shoe ins for "top9" minutes but I sure hope the show up to camp and demand them with their play. It would be amazing if one of them outplayed Beauviller to the extent that he was expendable at the deadline even inthe thick of a playoff race :)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if the signing order had been reversed, and Suter was the guy signed first, would the Canucks have even pursued Blueger?

I think there's a chance Aman could be a third or fourth line center, but now will likely be sent to the minors.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I wonder if the signing order had been reversed, and Suter was the guy signed first, would the Canucks have even pursued Blueger?

I think there's a chance Aman could be a third or fourth line center, but now will likely be sent to the minors.

I think the signing order was in effect, confirmation that they absolutely would've still pursued Bluegers if the order was reversed. He was the obvious target they want, and for obvious reasons. The biggest glaring hole in this team, was a bottom-6C who would handle tough minutes and bring energy with a bit of grit.

That's going to be Bluegers role regardless.

It's just a matter of where Suter actually slots in. It's not as a true 3C.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I get what you are saying but is having 2 scorers with Petey actually a bad thing? The best case scenario is that Boeser recovers form and be a 70pt guy and Kuz being a 70+ or guy and Petey being a 100+ pt guy and we have the best line since Twins+Burrows.

Not saying it’s likely but giving that a chance to develop would have a lot of benefits. There would be more flexibility in the roster and it will make Boeser easier to trade.

This is off-season so we are all just spitballing anyways. Boeser according to the latest (still awhile ago) report is working his ass off in the off-season so if he does show up at camp stronger, faster and with more stamina, why not reward that with more 1st line opportunity.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The thing with Hoglander is that...you watch what he did as a rookie that was so promising and quite nearly all of the positive impact he had offensively was within about ten feet of the net. Within that Pentagon from the goal line - "no zone" - hashmarks of the faceoff circle. The "high danger slot". That's his spot. That's where he's able to use his outstanding agility and puck-tracking to make an impact. Mostly as a finisher.

It's not altogether different from what Kuzmenko excels in, but Kuz is obviously a far more nuanced player who is a master of those short areas. Hoglander is still learning.

It's the same idea though. Neither guy is a laser beam sniper that's going to beat goalies from range. Neither guy is really an overly creative playmaker. They're both just small goal-scorers whose best ability is in use that agility and leverage to bang pucks home from that "home base" area. Kuzmenko has a much better feel for "getting open" at the right moment.

It just seems like if Hoglander is going to make anything of himself, it's going to be as a Viktor Arvidsson type Top-6 scorer. Arvidsson also probably has a better shot, but by and large...he's the same in that he's just a tenacious little guy who does all of his best work around the net area. The big area with Arvidsson that differentiates him, is that he's also probably faster in terms of long-speed and that has helped him become a pretty defensively reliable player. Hoglander has that obstacle in front of him as well.

Yeah I agree he gets into those tight areas which I would kind of consider doing 75% of the hard work, and like you said he excels at that. He just has had some problems with the last 25% part of finishing the play and putting the puck in the back of the net.

I mean blanket statement wise you could say you hope every player gets better at every facet, but certain players need to work on certain things. If I was coaching I would for sure have Hoglander first and foremost working on all kinds of finishing drills, as he missed converting on numerous good chances after doing the hard work to get there. It was a recurring theme and success there probably would have kept him in the NHL last year. It's what he needs to reach the next level, or at the least would be very helpful in my opinion. If he's not going to make it based on his defensive play, PK ability, or physical side, he needs to score goals.

Having said that his play in the AHL reportedly had him forechecking like crazy and hitting everything in sight, which could also keep him in the NHL.

A guy like Bo for instance, no he doesn't need to focus on finishing. It seems fairly obvious to me he already put a lot of off-season work into making his release quicker, and harder, as well as tipping pucks, he could probably benefit most from working on other parts of the game.

A player like Kuzmenko, his finishing was absolutely deadly. He also doesn't need to focus in that area, but he needs to work on tracking back and making the right kind of plays when options are limited, as per Tocchet.

This is exactly what I'm saying here. It kind of seems like you're actually agreeing with me. ;) Kuzmenko excels at finishing in those short areas where as Hoglander needs to work on it.

Kuzmenko is not only better at getting open, he's much better at beating the goalie from in close when he gets the puck on his stick, and finishing the opportunity.

It would be nice for Kuzmenko to take him under his wing or if Hoglander could call Bo up and ask him what he did for training last summer.

Maybe I should rescind my use of the word brutal and just say he could stand to be better?

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah I agree he gets into those tight areas which I would kind of consider doing 75% of the hard work, and like you said he excels at that. He just has had some problems with the last 25% part of finishing the play and putting the puck in the back of the net.

I mean blanket statement wise you could say you hope every player gets better at every facet, but certain players need to work on certain things. If I was coaching I would for sure have Hoglander first and foremost working on all kinds of finishing drills, as he missed converting on numerous good chances after doing the hard work to get there. It was a recurring theme and success there probably would have kept him in the NHL last year. It's what he needs to reach the next level, or at the least would be very helpful in my opinion. If he's not going to make it based on his defensive play, PK ability, or physical side, he needs to score goals.

Having said that his play in the AHL reportedly had him forechecking like crazy and hitting everything in sight, which could also keep him in the NHL.

A guy like Bo for instance, no he doesn't need to focus on finishing. It seems fairly obvious to me he already put a lot of off-season work into making his release quicker, and harder, as well as tipping pucks, he could probably benefit most from working on other parts of the game.

A player like Kuzmenko, his finishing was absolutely deadly. He also doesn't need to focus in that area, but he needs to work on tracking back and making the right kind of plays when options are limited, as per Tocchet.

This is exactly what I'm saying here. It kind of seems like you're actually agreeing with me. ;) Kuzmenko excels at finishing in those short areas where as Hoglander needs to work on it.

Kuzmenko is not only better at getting open, he's much better at beating the goalie from in close when he gets the puck on his stick, and finishing the opportunity.

It would be nice for Kuzmenko to take him under his wing or if Hoglander could call Bo up and ask him what he did for training last summer.

Maybe I should rescind my use of the word brutal and just say he could stand to be better?

Yeah. Ultimately i don't think "brutal" is the right descriptor for Hoglander's finishing. But it definitely has room for improvement.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I get what you are saying but is having 2 scorers with Petey actually a bad thing? The best case scenario is that Boeser recovers form and be a 70pt guy and Kuz being a 70+ or guy and Petey being a 100+ pt guy and we have the best line since Twins+Burrows.

Not saying it’s likely but giving that a chance to develop would have a lot of benefits. There would be more flexibility in the roster and it will make Boeser easier to trade.

This is off-season so we are all just spitballing anyways. Boeser according to the latest (still awhile ago) report is working his ass off in the off-season so if he does show up at camp stronger, faster and with more stamina, why not reward that with more 1st line opportunity.

It kind of is a bad thing, yes.

Petey is a terrific playmaker and a terrific goal scorer as well...but when you pair him with a lethal "finisher" type goal-scoring player like Kuzmenko, there's only so much of that to go around. Kuz is clearly the fit there because he has ridiculous chemistry with Pettersson.

But they very much still need that complementary piece who does the spadework. Digs out pucks, does the ugly stuff.

Forechecking, a puck chipped up the wall intelligently, bumper plays, etc. That's why someone like Beauvillier fit there. He's not a great Top-6 winger...but he does a lot of the little details and is able to read the play on that same wavelength.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Petey is a terrific playmaker and a terrific goal scorer as well...but when you pair him with a lethal "finisher" type goal-scoring player like Kuzmenko, there's only so much of that to go around. Kuz is clearly the fit there because he has ridiculous chemistry with Pettersson.

But they very much still need that complementary piece who does the spadework. Digs out pucks, does the ugly stuff.

Forechecking, a puck chipped up the wall intelligently, bumper plays, etc. That's why someone like Beauvillier fit there. He's not a great Top-6 winger...but he does a lot of the little details and is able to read the play on that same wavelength.
Sorry I don’t really agree with that.

Petey played with a bunch of people and he was potting assists and goals regardless of who he played with. I would argue that he would’ve gotten more points if Mik/Beau could finish better, that’s why I think we should give Boeser another go at it. I also don’t agree with the idea that we need a guy to do all the dirty work for both Petey and Kuz. If anything, Petey does the dirty work himself for the line like 90% of the time because it’s a key part of his game and when he steals the puck, he needs both wings to take advantage of that.

I guess we’ll see what happens in preseason. Like I said, if Boeser shows up in great shape then that might work, if he shows up like he was last season, then bleh.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Don't know if we will have traditional 3rd and 4th lines. Give Blueger the more defensive minded wingers and match up, and give Suter more offensive ones. Or mix and match and use both. They are both good enough and barring injuries should both be used in defensive situations. Suter just has more upside offensively they should try to milk.

Agreed. With some slight difference, I think the team could always deploy lines like this:

Miller and Suter's lines get the primary and secondary offensive duties, while Petey and Blueger eat the tougher defensive matchups (not that Suter isn't capable and can spot Petey occasionally IMO, but for the team to have depth it probably doesn't hurt to play Petey like a Hischier/ Hintz/ Barkov type #1, all situations C, so Miller can focus on offense, while Blueger takes a Malhotra type role and Suter mops up the rest and contributes secondary scoring). Think this team would be best if it had 3 offensive C's (Petey/ Miller/ Suter) and 3 defensively focused (Petey/ Suter/ Blueger).

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

100%.
Thats the only place in the lineup that makes any sense for Beau, he's got the skills to keep up with the best players and probably overachieve relative to his contract if kept on the top line for ~60 games.
He's maybe at best equal worth to his contract lower in the lineup as he contributes (seemingly much) less lower down.

Ideally need an upgrade on him but thats another issue, and nobody else on the team fits there either. (Mik=gross)

Too bad Garland doesn't work with JTM, might have to put Garland on an offensive 3rd line.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad