Who won the the PLD/Laine trade?

Who won the PLD/Laine trade?

• Total voters

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Columbus. By a landslide.

Laine is 22 and already has 140 goals and has one of the best shots in the world.

You don't trade away 40-goal scoring wingers for 50-point centers.
See this is what I hate about this site. Laine is called a one trick pony asking for 11 mil, as soon as he’s traded he’s amazing and now Dubois who’s the same age (must have forgotten to mention that) and had 61 points 2 years ago and 49 in 70 games last year is suddenly a 50 pt player. I’m fine with preferring Laine or thinking the jets lost the trade. Hell I agree but do people that post like this honestly believe that no one else notices the absolute bias and twisting of the numbers?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Columbus, although with their roster I’m not sure they shouldn’t have gone for draft picks and prospects. They got the better players, but are they enough to make a difference with that squad?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
See this is what I hate about this site. Laine is called a one trick pony asking for 11 mil, as soon as he’s traded he’s amazing and now Dubois who’s the same age (must have forgotten to mention that) and had 61 points 2 years ago and 49 in 70 games last year is suddenly a 50 pt player. I’m fine with preferring Laine or thinking the jets lost the trade. Hell I agree but do people that post like this honestly believe that no one else notices the absolute bias and twisting of the numbers?

Im not twisting any numbers and never post on Patrick Laine or Dubois, in fact this is my first post on the topic. I don't know if any of my 10K+ posts have ever been on Laine in fact. You can check my post history.

I gave my opinion. Both have upside. I'd still take Laine hands down. He is 22, 140 goals, one of the best shots in the league. He averages 38 goals / 82 games. That is not someone I'd trade for a 50-55 point center.

I dont know what I said that was either misleading or outlandish.

Reactions: behemolari

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Im not twisting any numbers and never post on Patrick Laine or Dubois, in fact this is my first post on the topic. I don't know if any of my 10K+ posts have ever been on Laine in fact. You can check my post history.

I gave my opinion. Both have upside. I'd still take Laine hands down. He is 22, 140 goals, one of the best shots in the league. He averages 38 goals / 82 games. That is not someone I'd trade for a 50-55 point center.

I dont know what I said that was either misleading or outlandish.
Now you’re getting closer to objective at least. But again why mention Laines age as a positive but ignore it for the other player who’s the same age. At least somehow Dubois gained 5 points in the last 30min.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Now you’re getting closer to objective at least. But again why mention Laines age as a positive but ignore it for the other player who’s the same age. At least somehow Dubois gained 5 points in the last 30min.

I mention Laine's age because 140 goals by 22 is an impressive number for any athlete that has entered the league in the last 10 years. He also has 250 points. Dubois has 66 goals and 159 points in the NHL in one less year.

I get Dubois hasnt had the same talent surrounding him as Laine has too.

But I dont think people realize how impressive Laine's goal scoring prowess has been thus far. My opinion, if he ever puts it all together, he will be a special goal scorer and one of the best of the generation. He isnt there yet. But, he could be one day. That is why I take him.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I mention Laine's age because 140 goals by 22 is an impressive number for any athlete that has entered the league in the last 10 years. He also has 250 points. Dubois has 66 goals and 159 points in the NHL in one less year.

I get Dubois hasnt had the same talent surrounding him as Laine has too.

But I dont think people realize how impressive Laine's goal scoring prowess has been thus far. My opinion, if he ever puts it all together, he will be a special goal scorer and one of the best of the generation. He isnt there yet. But, he could be one day. That is why I take him.
Oh trust me, I know how good Laine can be. I even voted that CBJ won the trade. Just can’t stand how people frame posts on here to try to prove a point as if no one will notice. Just like people were calling Laine a 30 goal scorer asking for 11mil. Makes no sense and serves no purpose

Reactions: Fataldogg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cheveldayoff got schooled.

So many of the times we say one GM "schooled" another, it just means the trade value of the players and the offers that GMs get is just different from what us ignorant posters think it would be.

I really doubt that Chevy passed on a better offer than Dubois.

There was a much bigger market for Dubois than for Laine, not a lot of clubs think they can accommodate Laine's demands on the ice and in terms of a long term contract. Everyone wants a center like Dubois.

Chevy had to trade Laine before his contract was up, he's probably been looking at offers for a year plus since it was clear that Laine wanted out, and this was the clear best offer he could get.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
columbus is gonna let laine run their offence just as panarin did before him. Stop with this WAHWAH tort gonna beat him up B.S, acting like panarin was a selke candidate when he was in CB.

Reactions: behemolari

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
We don't know for sure right now but it does seem like CBJ robbed the Jets.

But I have been wrong about many trades before so what do I know.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
IDK much about Laine, outside hoping him or AM would fall to the third pick his draft year. I think PLD can be as good as many HOF players; if he is willing to work for it. Laine, has a gift...

CBJ

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Columbus wins in a vacuum, but in reality it should be a win-win.

Winnipeg gets better by fixing their #2C and giving more playing time to Ehlers/Connor/Wheeler and can roll more even lines.

Columbus gets a goal scoring winger and a PP weapon that they sorely lack, and it might've just allowed Texier to break out instead of playing 2nd fiddle to Dubois.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I put it as even.

But pure Value its Columbus winning.
1st, a quarter of games Laine will play for Columbus this year Jets will be paying.

Currently roslovic might have low value but he was a decent 3rd line RW FOR the Jets.
He might get a crack to play C for Jackets, verdic is up on that.

I am not sure how people are saying these 2 are close offensively. Laine is better and most feel he has more to give.
PLD still has room to grow but put he will be playing 2nd center to Schiefele in Winnipeg.
One of the cause of departure by Laine is the blind over use of Schiefele Wheeler line compared to 2nd line the last 3 years. (Ex; see jets vs. Oilers game last night).

PLD is center which is valued specially top 6 C. He is a good center currently rank between 80 to 100 as top NHL player. (Laine is mid 40s).

I understand and have read that PLD is a tough player and can be force. Laine is bigger and faster now than 2 years ago also at 6'5"

One can tilt it for Winnipeg is, Jets been looking for a 2C for the longest time. And he has a better chance of signing compared to Laine, as mentioned by many. The verdicr is still up on that.

Pure value its Columbus.
But PLD makes the Jets center ice position close to if not the best in the league.
But Maurice is hinting putting Stastny as winger (scratch head) on top 6 when PLD plays.

If Laine showing is the same as the game he showed opening night for the rest of his career. That is gonna hurt big time as a Jets fan.

Side note: 2C is not currently needed by the jets as they got Stastny and possibly Perfetti in a couple years. Urgent need is top pairing righ defense.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
columbus is gonna let laine run their offence just as panarin did before him. Stop with this WAHWAH tort gonna beat him up B.S, acting like panarin was a selke candidate when he was in CB.
Everyone keeps saying this, but hasn’t Panarin been (at least statistically) one of the best two-way wingers in the NHL for a couple years now?

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
On paper it obviously looks like a Columbus win, but we'll have to wait and see before we can say anything. Remember, people initially thought Montreal lost the Weber/Subban trade.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I think Laine is the better player, but this could be a win-win trade, at least short term. When Wheeler declines Jets may miss Laine.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Laine is the better player, but this could be a win-win trade, at least short term. When Wheeler declines Jets may miss Laine.

Not with the way Connor has developed and the way Ehlers has been playing, they'll be fine at wing. They have a glaring hole at 2C given Statsny's age.

Reactions: Dache

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not with the way Connor has developed and the way Ehlers has been playing, they'll be fine at wing. They have a glaring hole at 2C given Statsny's age.
Also thinks this gives them the chance to not force Perfetti to play C.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm going even. I'm a big Laine fan, not so much of a huge PLD fan. I think in a vacuum, Columbus wins in terms of pure talent and upside, but I could see this deal working out very well for both teams.

I wonder if Winnipeg sees Perfetti as a winger. That could have been some of the motivation behind the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad