• Neutral fan saying Toronto

• Kings fan saying Los Angeles

• Leafs fan saying Toronto

• Neutral fan saying even

• Kings/Leafs fan saying even

Results are only viewable after voting.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
On paper it's a good trade for both. Muzzin is a terrific player who will help the Leafs a lot. He could instantly become their BEST overall d-man, as he is solid both ways.

The Kings, however, are a last place team and do nothing with Muzzin. They don't need him, and just turned him into decent future assets. They can continue to be a last place team without Muzzin. No harm done there.
He is their best D man.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
In a nutshell it was a fair trade but when u dissect the trade its clear LA should have gone for higher end pieces instead of 3 lesser ones.
A very late first has low chances of ever making it to the NHL. Durzi is an overager and doing relatively bad in the O. And I dont see much upside in Grundstrom. Meanwhile the Leafs got a top end top 4 D.

The kings should have held out a bit longer and gone for the single high end piece. As it stands, there is a big chance nothing comes of value for the Kings from this trade.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Before the season those two prospects were pretty high up on the Leafs prospect list. Funny how now they're just fringe NHLers unlikely to ever amount to anything.

To be fair, a lot of the top prospects graduated, which pushed others up (i.e. Dermott, Johnsson, Kapanen). Nonetheless, Grundstrom is a nice prospect and should be more than a fringe NHLer. I like what he brings.

Durzi is a complete boom/bust asset.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
As a Kings fan, I think the Leafs can be huge winners in this trade if: (1) Muzzin stays healthy and helps them in the playoffs; and (2) they trade Muzzin at next trade deadline for a 1st and any prospect. That would be the best move for the Leafs, especially if they feel one of their younger right handed defenseman is ready to step in.

From a Kings prospective, we had to cash in on Muzzin now. He was playing peak in his career, and the Kings have passed on opportunities to trade players when they are peaking (e.g., Carter). Muzzin is a solid number 2, but you never know if his game could drop off because of age or if he reverts back to his old habits of turning over the puck and losing confidence quickly. The most important return for the Kings was the 1st rounder, because we need to get as many 1st rounders as we can from this draft to cover the field. I hope we can get at least one more, and have 3 1st rounders.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I also note that Toronto had to go all in now and take those risky moves. Could the 1st rounder turn out to be a great player for the Kings? Sure. But if Toronto does not make those moves now and simply keeps picks and prospects and continues to develop, they may not win the cup with the stacked roster they currently have.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
The last time the Leafs traded a first round pick it turned out to be Sam Steel. I think before that is was Seguin and Hamilton.

The Leafs have been getting burned trading the first round pick, like the Oilers (Barzal)

The Leafs got Andersen with that 1st, no regrets there, Anaheim is happy too...win win.

As for the Kessel trade, I take solace in the belief that Burke would have drafted Gudbranson over Seguin, or at the early least, traded him away early on for some truculence.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The Leafs got Andersen with that 1st, no regrets there, Anaheim is happy too...win win.

As for the Kessel trade, I take solace in the belief that Burke would have drafted Gudbranson over Seguin, or at the early least, traded him away early on for some truculence.
Probably

Burke said he still thinks that the Hall for Larsson trade was a good trade for the Oilers

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
On paper it's a decent trade for Toronto and they win it, but in reality they're not a contender and Tampa will just massacre them so that makes it a win for LA who got some decent assets for 1.5 years of Muzzin (who won't do enough to change the reality that TML are a good team, but not good enough to contend, let alone make it out of the East).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It was a solid trade for both sides.

Leafs got a piece they really needed and one that probably doesn't push them over the edge but certainly puts them a lot closer to the edge, but they did so without giving up every valuable future they have so still room to improve.

Kings will have a nice jump start on the retool/Rebuild going forward by snagging a couple ok prospects and an extra 1st round pick. Goes a solid way towards rebuilding that prospect pool and youth that has been in dire straits for quite a while now while LA was making cup runs and winning cups.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Could go either way.
I always lean towards the team ending up with the NHL player as the winner in trades; especially if it's top 4D or top 6F. Muzzin is a good Dman who's going to end up playing major minutes for TO, I think he's going to end up being their big minute D come playoff time.

Kings got what they needed. They get out of a 2 year deal; they got picks. They're a dog shit team, and still are post this trade, but it could help them rebound. They'll move Toffoli soon and open up some more cap. These trades are for 3 years from now, when the only have Kopitar, Doughty and Quick on the books.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I have no idea how you can make a poll on this trade when one teams only got futures.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not that it really means anything but if someone made a proposal last week saying Muzzin to the Leafs for 1st + Grundy + Durzi I can PROMISE you that 99% of the fans and even some Leaf fans would say that is a garbage offer and they need to add Lilly or Sandin at least, possibly another bigger piece.

I can promise you Durzi would be an overager in the OHL. I can promise you fans would say the 1st is late and basically a 2nd. And then it likely gets locked.

So I think that in that sense, this was really good for the Leafs. They severely underpaid based on the price Leaf fans were given over the past 6 months of 1st + top prospect + or even one of the "big three" +.

I also think this is a good trade for LA. If I am honest Durzi is likely nothing but I was always hopeful he was something so won't blame kings fans if they do the same.

Grundstrom was someone the Leafs needed in their forward group. Size, balls, hitting, boards, etc. He will be missed.

And of course, rebuilding teams love having multiple firsts.

The point of my comment? This is a pretty even deal for both teams because they both address their needs. However these poll results are hilarious given what Leaf fans have dealt with in many threads for years not JUST the price to get a guy like Muzzin but how the prospect pool sucked and every team had players like Grundstrom and Durzi in the system.

Wish I had the time to track down every "neutral" fan who voted LA wins and see if I could pull up posts of them claiming it would cost a ton more than the Leafs paid.

I’ll agree with a lot of what you’re saying, however most teams do have a grundstrom and durzi in their system. The benefit for a rebuilding team (or whatever LA is) is having a few medium/high upside players cause obviously they don’t all hit.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
In a nutshell it was a fair trade but when u dissect the trade its clear LA should have gone for higher end pieces instead of 3 lesser ones.
A very late first has low chances of ever making it to the NHL. Durzi is an overager and doing relatively bad in the O. And I dont see much upside in Grundstrom. Meanwhile the Leafs got a top end top 4 D.

The kings should have held out a bit longer and gone for the single high end piece. As it stands, there is a big chance nothing comes of value for the Kings from this trade.

I agree LA could have tried harder to get a higher end piece, but he was only going to get traded to teams going for the cup, making any first they got a late one, and those teams are also going to be very reluctant to give a single high end piece as it would have been a roster player. I was surprised they didn’t hold out for one better prospect instead of two medium ones though.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The point of my comment? This is a pretty even deal for both teams because they both address their needs. However these poll results are hilarious given what Leaf fans have dealt with in many threads for years not JUST the price to get a guy like Muzzin but how the prospect pool sucked and every team had players like Grundstrom and Durzi in the system.

Wish I had the time to track down every "neutral" fan who voted LA wins and see if I could pull up posts of them claiming it would cost a ton more than the Leafs paid.

Pretty bang on. Kings could up with Hornqvist+Montour+Pastrnak, they could end up with less than 50 games played between their three assets. Likely outcome is somewhere in the middle.

Reality is that this is a textbook fair deal looking at precedents. But also the reality if a large portion of this board had any integrity or consistency this would be voted a landslide leafs win based on prior comments and valuations.

Either we got our guy for "spare parts" or they were not "spare parts" to begin with.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Toronto got desperate since their slump and picked up the most available help. Too bad it's another lefty they didn't need. Paid a lot for an imperfect solution because the front office is feeling the heat for poor play, worried they will squander their big ELC window year contention chance.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

That's the nature of trading a player that close to unrestricted free agency; the extra year doesn't even matter that much. The Erat-for-Forsberg type trades are a real rarity.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With 3 future assets going one way and not knowing if Muzzin will fit in or not its literally impossible to vote on this.

The only appropriate vote is even because no one knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad