• Leafs fan saying Toronto

• Neutral fan saying even

• Kings/Leafs fan saying even

Results are only viewable after voting.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Short term a Toronto win. But 2 good prospects, a first for year and a half of Muzzin at 4 mil is a darn good haul for LA. Leafs did not help their cap with this but they are all in for this year I guess!

Actually they did. Last time i ran the numbers for the 19-20 season the big question was, how to replace Gardiner with just 3-4M in cap space ?

Muzzin makes 4M. Problem solved.

They can literally bring back the same team they have now minus Gardiner&Hainsey swapped with young guys and be right up against the cap. At most the only thing they need to do is to trade Brown for a draft pick or something.

My first instinct is the Leafs won. It's completely possible the Kings didn't get a top 6 F/top 4 D back for Muzzin. Grundstrom might end up a bottom 6er, Durzi is a bit of a wild card in terms of potential and late 1st is never guaranteed to be anything special. Obviously have to wait and see though, by no means do i think the Kings did terrible.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I have the Leafs winning just because it addresses our needs so much, but with both teams moving in opposite directions, you could say it's a win-win. Both teams accomplished their goal but I think the Kings could have got more if they waited a bit and got teams competing for him.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Well the first rounder is what you're looking at. The other two guys in that trade aren't going to amount to much. Maybe grundstrom... But their projections are very low.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
My favourite part of this thread is the posters that think this trade messes up the Leafs cap situation.

The dreamers will keep dreaming! Can't wait for that Nylander offer sheet to come through.

Yes well, they'll grasp at any straws they can to try and spin things in a negative way.

The cap is for management to work out. I'm not worried in the slightest. Some move will happen if needed. New contracts might be 6 years instead of 8 years. We will fit them all in just fine.

I love how insecure all the Leaf haters are now. They HATE how good the team looks.

:)

Reactions: LeafChief

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Actually they did. Last time i ran the numbers for the 19-20 season the big question was, how to replace Gardiner with just 3-4M in cap space ?

Muzzin makes 4M. Problem solved.

They can literally bring back the same team they have now minus Gardiner&Hainsey swapped with young guys and be right up against the cap. At most the only thing they need to do is to trade Brown for a draft pick or something.

My first instinct is the Leafs won. It's completely possible the Kings didn't get a top 6 F/top 4 D back for Muzzin. Grundstrom might end up a bottom 6er, Durzi is a bit of a wild card in terms of potential and late 1st is never guaranteed to be anything special. Obviously have to wait and see though, by no means do i think the Kings did terrible.
Absolutely. The concern was that Gardiner would want 6m and they’d have to choose between cap hell or another hole in the blueline. This actually guarantees a better d man on a better contract for next year, and almost solidifies Gardiner’s exit in the summer.

Hallelujah.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
What is insecure is voting in the neutral column instead of the Leaf fan column.
As long as you have people who seemingly make it their full time job to oppose all things Toronto Maple Leafs on HF, it doesn’t really matter. Negative bias skews the results just the same.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am sure all Leaf fans hope the above cap thoughts are right. I believe they assume no bonus money due to players and team friendly contract assumptions. It may play play out as rosy as as above ops are suggesting.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Pretty even trade IMO. The even trades seem to cause the most arguments on these forums because for some reason fans feel the need to always declare one team the losing team no matter what it takes.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
For the leafs, this trade makes them a significantly better team. For the kings, this trade gives them a CHANCE to rebuild, but with prospects and picks it’s never guarantee.

Leafs have the edge because they lose no roster players and get a top pairing dman. Kings will have to nail that pick and develope Grundstrom and Durzi.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Muzzin hasn't played a game with the leafs

LAK havent selected a player with the 1st

how about, to early to be determined? I think it is fair but we'll see what those prospects and pick amount to

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Before the season those two prospects were pretty high up on the Leafs prospect list. Funny how now they're just fringe NHLers unlikely to ever amount to anything.

Reactions: Dache

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Before the season those two prospects were pretty high up on the Leafs prospect list. Funny how now they're just fringe NHLers unlikely to ever amount to anything.

The Leafs system is not great right now, not sure why it would be surprising that their 4th and 6th (roughly?) best prospects aren't studs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Not that it really means anything but if someone made a proposal last week saying Muzzin to the Leafs for 1st + Grundy + Durzi I can PROMISE you that 99% of the fans and even some Leaf fans would say that is a garbage offer and they need to add Lilly or Sandin at least, possibly another bigger piece.

I can promise you Durzi would be an overager in the OHL. I can promise you fans would say the 1st is late and basically a 2nd. And then it likely gets locked.

So I think that in that sense, this was really good for the Leafs. They severely underpaid based on the price Leaf fans were given over the past 6 months of 1st + top prospect + or even one of the "big three" +.

I also think this is a good trade for LA. If I am honest Durzi is likely nothing but I was always hopeful he was something so won't blame kings fans if they do the same.

Grundstrom was someone the Leafs needed in their forward group. Size, balls, hitting, boards, etc. He will be missed.

And of course, rebuilding teams love having multiple firsts.

The point of my comment? This is a pretty even deal for both teams because they both address their needs. However these poll results are hilarious given what Leaf fans have dealt with in many threads for years not JUST the price to get a guy like Muzzin but how the prospect pool sucked and every team had players like Grundstrom and Durzi in the system.

Wish I had the time to track down every "neutral" fan who voted LA wins and see if I could pull up posts of them claiming it would cost a ton more than the Leafs paid.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Well what's that old saying about "Who got the best player in the deal?"

That's your answer.

Overly simplistic especially as both teams are at a different stage, but spin is spin I guess.

IMO this is an even trade, LAK get what they need and Leafs address an area of weakness, I really like this deal for both sides.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Even assuming the left/right thing doesn't blow up in their faces and they don't lose Gardiner for nothing in the summer.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
On paper it's a good trade for both. Muzzin is a terrific player who will help the Leafs a lot. He could instantly become their BEST overall d-man, as he is solid both ways.

The Kings, however, are a last place team and do nothing with Muzzin. They don't need him, and just turned him into decent future assets. They can continue to be a last place team without Muzzin. No harm done there.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nobody "won" it. Or more accurately, nobody lost it, you could say that both won. It was fair market value between a team needing a rebuild and a team needing help on the blueline.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I like the deal for both teams.
The Leafs gave up a lot in the trade. A first and Grundstrom is a great haul for LA. And Durzi is a solid prospect as well. That first could end up being a great player which is why teams are so reluctant to trade them away even if they are a later first. LA has a great start on a rebuild.

But I’ve always been a big believer that you need to push for a Cup every year your window is open. Their best chance is probably in the next three years during Tavares’ peak. Then they still have a very good core after that as well.

The Leafs added a key piece without giving away a roster player and the Kings got a great haul. Win. Win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad