Who will win the Calder this season?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
the Petterson hype is just so annoying at this point...90% of the season left and he's "running away with it" really?
Well he leads rookies with 15 points, Howden is second with 8 points. Pettersson has played 4 games less. That's kind of running away with it.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Well he leads rookies with 15 points, Howden is second with 8 points. Pettersson has played 4 games less. That's kind of running away with it.
forgive me I don't think think anyone can make up that time with 70 games...left must have missed when Kucherov won the Art Ross after 20 games last year too.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
forgive me I don't think think anyone can make up that time with 70 games...left must have missed when Kucherov won the Art Ross after 20 games last year too.
The thing is, no other rookie is even close to him right now. He will slow down, of course, but I don't see any other rookie being even close to him unless he gets injured.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Brett Howden just got injured in this nyr-buf game.

Left the game, dont know if hes returning or not. If so, huge blow for the rangers, guys been a beast for them.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Uhhh, Chabot is not a rookie....

Lajoie on the other hand is a rookie... 5 goals, 2nd most among all Dmen, 2nd most among rookies.
:laugh: f***ing hell. Did not know he played 60+ games last year, but god damn he's playing well this year.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The thing is, he could have nearly double the points (and triple the next rookie) if he had a healthy Boeser in the first few games and no concussion.

ETA: he has to be watched, not stat-watched. Will be interesting to see how he responds once the book is out on him.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN

It’s based on more then points.

And 9 bloody games. He’s the clear favourite but there’s more to it then that.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It’s based on more then points.

And 9 bloody games. He’s the clear favourite but there’s
It's way harder for a defenseman to win if they're not lighting it up offensively even if they were more valuable. If Pettersson finishes the season as a ppg player or at least close to it then I don't see any way for Dahlin or Heiskanen to win it.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
hot take king here

barzal is winning calder ainec, lock it
"omg it's too early, only game 20"
"watch kyle connor heat up on the top line!"

pettersson is winning calder ainec, lock it
"it's f***ing 9 games! shut up"

Reactions: daddyohsix

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pettersson is certainly running away with it early. Too bad Brady Tkachuk got hurt. He may have given him a run for it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
the Petterson hype is just so annoying at this point...90% of the season left and he's "running away with it" really?
I'm sorry, but while it's certainly true that someone else could take it, what would be the point of this thread if not to discuss who is the most likely to win it? By every measure, Petterson is the best rookie in the league right now and has had an incredibly impressive start. For the purposes of this thread, I don't see what's wrong with anointing him as the favorite.

Reactions: Aqualung

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
well their is the whole field of rookies that can pop up...Barzal wasn't even close to expecting 85 points after this point last season.

Damn right no one expected 85 points from Barzal because that was a season for the ages. You think a field of Barzals will just magically appear in the middle of the season and get stronger as the season progresses? Do you watch the NHL? Do you understand how special Pettersson really is? He was listed as the top Calder candidate by virtually every respected analyst and he has been all world for the Canucks while adjusting to NA ice AND the centre position.

This is the Canucks best prospect in 50 years as a franchise. Who is this Calder candidate you speak of?

Reactions: daddyohsix

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm sorry, but while it's certainly true that someone else could take it, what would be the point of this thread if not to discuss who is the most likely to win it? By every measure, Petterson is the best rookie in the league right now and has had an incredibly impressive start. For the purposes of this thread, I don't see what's wrong with anointing him as the favorite.
when did I say he wasn't the favorite? He had a great start but there is 70 more games to go...McDavid didn't even win the Calder due to injury(not wishing injury at all) and he was PPG through his first 40+.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
when did I say he wasn't the favorite? He had a great start but there is 70 more games to go...McDavid didn't even win the Calder due to injury(not wishing injury at all) and he was PPG through his first 40+.
I didn't say anything about what you did or didn't say. But overexuberance has always rained supreme in hockey fandom. That you're singling out Petterson when in this case it's pretty justified just strikes me as odd.

Reactions: Slimmy

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I didn't say anything about what you did or didn't say. But overexuberance has always rained supreme in hockey fandom. That you're singling out Petterson when in this case it's pretty justified just strikes me as odd.
ugh i'm not singling out Petterson at all I said the same about Matthews hot start to this season as well for the Art Ross trophy race.......sorry people actually want to see the season play itself out. Its not like I'm a homer saying Dahlin will explode at some point and take it or that Mittelstadt(who arguably should be sent down) is going to turn it around fast.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Damn right no one expected 85 points from Barzal because that was a season for the ages. You think a field of Barzals will just magically appear in the middle of the season and get stronger as the season progresses? Do you watch the NHL? Do you understand how special Pettersson really is? He was listed as the top Calder candidate by virtually every respected analyst and he has been all world for the Canucks while adjusting to NA ice AND the centre position.

This is the Canucks best prospect in 50 years as a franchise. Who is this Calder candidate you speak of?
The plenty that were listed before the season started..........there was also plenty of polls here during the offseason and preseason that had tight or straight up a different player winning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad