Who will win the Calder this season?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
well their is the whole field of rookies that can pop up...Barzal wasn't even close to expecting 85 points after this point last season.

After a slow start Barzal put up 14 points in 10 games at this exact point last year. Followed up by another 10 points in his next 9 games.

No current rookie has come close to those sort of numbers after Pettersson...

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
all the calder winners of the last 3 years were easy calls

-barzal
easy
-matthews
easy
-panarin
you know it's easy when people are arguing against the rules
BS McDavid and Keller were definitely the favorites over Barzal and Panarin...

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It's way harder for a defenseman to win if they're not lighting it up offensively even if they were more valuable. If Pettersson finishes the season as a ppg player or at least close to it then I don't see any way for Dahlin or Heiskanen to win it.

I didn’t say they were going to win it. But if buffalo ends up with a good playoff or close to playoff record (tall task I don’t think we will) but if we do and dahlin continues to play the way he does and keeps hitting and controlling lot of the ice like a 26 year old whip puttiing up respectable numbers he will be in the conversation. I mean we finished dead last the year beforehand he’s been made a huge improvement on the team.

Anyway your right in your assessment with dman but what I said will get taken into consideration should that happen.

Pettersen should definitely win though and it’s his to lose. Because of his size it will be interesting if he remains healthy all year.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I can't wait to watch Pettersson play hockey again on Tuesday.

Also excited to see Cholowski for the first time. Between him, Jokiharju, Heiskanen & Dahlin there are alot of good rookie defenseman this year.

I could see Heiskanen & Dahlin (in whichever order) rounding out the top 3 after EP. (Darkhorse being Cholowski). When was the last time 2 defenseman finished top 3 in the voting?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Right now I would say its got to be Pettersson. There's still a tonne of hockey to be played though, and that can change pretty quickly.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Brady Tkachuk should be returning to the Sens lineup this week. He could give Pettersson a run for his money.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I could see Heiskanen & Dahlin (in whichever order) rounding out the top 3 after EP. (Darkhorse being Cholowski). When was the last time 2 defenseman finished top 3 in the voting?

Unless I missed something, the last time two defensemen finished top 3 in Calder voting was 1982-83: Housley was second and Stevens was third in voting (Steve Larmer won the Calder that season).

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Unless I missed something, the last time two defensemen finished top 3 in Calder voting was 1982-83: Housley was second and Stevens was third in voting (Steve Larmer won the Calder that season).

Thanks for that. I had no idea, was genuinely curious.

I think we could see it happen again this year with Heisk & Dahlin then EP. Although Tkachuk could very well finish top 3 and change that.

I think those 4 guys are the cream of the crop this year with Cholowski, White, Svechnikov, Jokiharju, Kotkaniemi, Howden just behind them.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Pettersson is a cut above the rest right now but Heiskanen stepping up when Klingberg is out is really damn impressive, so he is closing the gap. I’m looking forward to an epic nordic battle all season long.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Brady Tkachuk should be returning to the Sens lineup this week. He could give Pettersson a run for his money.

I don't see how since he's so far behind in points, goals etc. Unless Pettersson misses a whole bunch of games. Which leads me to the next point: The Calder is definitely Pettersson's to lose at this point. The youngster has been absolutely insane and judging by eye test, it's not a fluke. Unless he goes down on a serious injury, I absolutely expect him to finish the season as a PPG player and snatching the Calder with no one even close.

On top of that, I can see a case for both Heiskanen and Dahlin being bigger threats to Pettersson than Tkachuk, though I fully expect both of 'em not to finish anywhere close to him for it be a real competition.

edit:

Nevermind, the quoted post is from early November. My bad.

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Too early to say EP has it locked, but he is quite ahead of the pack. As of right now I would go.

Pettersson

Heiskanen/Dahlin
Heiskanen/Dahlin
Tkachuck
C. White

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
E2C279C0-020C-429E-995E-4455C1C1676B.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad