Speculation: Who Will the Rangers Target At the Center Position this Summer?

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
3 goals away from a cup?

You can say three goals away, or say they lost 4-1. Three goals away seems closer, of course. I get what the original poster is saying. Further, if the season began with the rosters that ended the season, and everyone was the same age as they began the prior season, it's possible the season runs a different course. That's why one doesn't say the Rangers are one player away from winning the Cup, nor do we say that they begin next season in the Finals. Many teams may reload. Some may be healthier than they were last season. Some may be in position to add. Some may have youth ready to make a splash. It's a tight division and reality is the Rangers may be a few players away from getting back there. I think that's the long-winded point trying to be made in a concise manner.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Stastny is pretty much putting up flag signals for the rangers to come pick him up :)

1) FA - check
2) Says he wants to test market - check
3) your GM is glen sather - check

He'll be a steal at the 9 million a year Sather gives him. :naughty:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Hey, folks. Let's please bring the conversation back on topic. No more talk about potentially NSFW topics. Thanks!

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I don't understand the reluctancy to bring in Stastny. We have historically been able to weasel ourselves out of EVERY bad contract we've signed. When you sign a UFA, you overpay because you're giving up 0 assets. This is what people are forgetting. Who cares about the cap hit? We're giving up literally nothing except cap space. The guy is a proven 65-75 point center in the Western Conference; he would likely do even better in the weaker East. The way I see it, this team needs a better Center to put them over the top. Lundqvist is not getting any younger and this team has a very small window with him to compete for a Cup. Here are our options:

1. Do nothing this offseason and roll Stepan-Brassard-Miller-Moore/Boyle down the middle next year. This is absolutely not an option. We couldn't win with Stepan-Brassard-Richards-Moore down the middle. What makes any of you think we can win with the former?

2. Trade assets for Spezza/Kesler. I actually think Spezza would be a better fit on this team than Stastny because of his right handed shot and style of play, but we're going to have to give up decent assets to acquire him. This is a better option than option 1, but still not ideal as we'd be dealing mainly roster players.

3. Slightly overpay a UFA and give up absolutely no assets, but possibly let other pieces walk (Stralman, Boyle etc.). This is the lesser of (3) evils, IMO. 4th liners and 2nd pairing defensemen are easier to replace than legitimate 2 way 1C's. This is the route we should be looking at taking given the run we just went on and the "Lundqvist Window." By all accounts, Boyle is gone and Stralman has priced himself out of NY regardless of who we sign; we're probably losing these guys anyway. Why not use the cap space to fill a hole this team has been trying to fill for the past 10 years?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I don't understand the reluctancy to bring in Stastny. We have historically been able to weasel ourselves out of EVERY bad contract we've signed. When you sign a UFA, you overpay because you're giving up 0 assets. This is what people are forgetting. Who cares about the cap hit? We're giving up literally nothing except cap space. The guy is a proven 65-75 point center in the Western Conference; he would likely do even better in the weaker East. The way I see it, this team needs a better Center to put them over the top. Lundqvist is not getting any younger and this team has a very small window with him to compete for a Cup. Here are our options:

1. Do nothing this offseason and roll Stepan-Brassard-Miller-Moore/Boyle down the middle next year. This is absolutely not an option. We couldn't win with Stepan-Brassard-Richards-Moore down the middle. What makes any of you think we can win with the former?

2. Trade assets for Spezza/Kesler. I actually think Spezza would be a better fit on this team than Stastny because of his right handed shot and style of play, but we're going to have to give up decent assets to acquire him. This is a better option than option 1, but still not ideal as we'd be dealing mainly roster players.

3. Slightly overpay a UFA and give up absolutely no assets, but possibly let other pieces walk (Stralman, Boyle etc.). This is the lesser of (3) evils, IMO. 4th liners and 2nd pairing defensemen are easier to replace than legitimate 2 way 1C's. This is the route we should be looking at taking given the run we just went on and the "Lundqvist Window." By all accounts, Boyle is gone and Stralman has priced himself out of NY regardless of who we sign; we're probably losing these guys anyway. Why not use the cap space to fill a hole this team has been trying to fill for the past 10 years?

If they are gauranteed to lose every potential UFA signing maybe it wouldn't make a difference this year, which it would because that scenario is unlikely. How about going forward when key players are due raises?

They can dump him in 4 years or buy him out after it's too late because his contract cost them key players and a potential second chance at the 'Cup.

No thanks.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
paul stasny wont come cheap. his price will be nearly 7 mil and term may well be 5 so 7/5 might be the number.

thats alot of money tied up in a soon to be 29 yr old centerman who isnt 24, doesnt skate like the wind, isnt right handed and isnt ror or any other flavor of the month centerman who meets the above criteria. he is a very good centerman who would make us better immediately.

what we are forgetting here is this however, this team wasnt good enough down the middle last season. brad richards is gone. we are left with stepan and brass as our top 2 pivots. we dont match up well with any of the top teams in the east with those 2 and we get abused by the bigger western teams. look at what kopitar, richards and carter did. they crapped on us.

number one priority this off season, other than signing our fa's and improving the awful pp, is to get better down the middle.

i will repeat again, stepan, brass, miller and moore are a nice group but they are a not a competitive group. they wont get the job done. period. im pretty usre av knows this and slats and his gang are acutely aware of this glaring weakness.

we cant score. we dont create much. the pp blows. those 4 above get us more of the same. or worse.

an impact centerman like ror would be ideal. hes gonna cost us bigtime. not sure the price will be worth it. hes very good but hes not a sure fire 1c. neither are the other guys woho might be availabe. unless stamkos is coming, no one is really worth the players we will be asked for.

stasny will cost money. lots of money. look at what callahan just got. crazy money and term. stasny is a much better player than cally and so hes gonna cash for sure.

if theres another option for the next 3 years im not seeing it. standing pat with what we have gets us into the playoffs and thats it. adding paul stasny for the next 3 years gives us the best chance to win the cup.

assuming we can move staal or let stralman walk- not both, let boyle walk and resign the remaining fa's to value contracts. if we do that, i think we can fit stasny in.

KreiMeARiver*

HUGE pass on Statsny at 7.5. HUGE MONUMENTAL UNIVERSE IS HUMONGUS PASS!!!

KreiMeARiver*

I think at that price most teams will pass on him, hes not that much better then Step.

Exactly...

I mean, the guy has never once had 30 goals or 60 assists. NOT ONCE. Only had more than 25 goals and 50 assists twice.

7.5? Are you nuts??

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If they gave Statsny all of Richards ice time from last season, ES and PP, I'd expect 65pts. Not really a dig on Statsny just the Rangers do not have the offensive talent for him to replicate his points per min, if they did I'd expect more like ~70 pts.

That is just production though, Statsny is far better defensively than Richards ever was and he can PK as well.

7M cap hit, for the moment ignoring the other players needing to be signed I would not mind. Adding in the whole team building thing, probably not the best idea, I'd be on the fence about it. At anything over 7M I think I'd pass.

Should add I think he'll get more than that and I think if he chooses the Rangers as one of his destinations, the Rangers probably will sign him at more than that 7M.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
So according to Dater, The Rangers has made calls about Stasny.

Use Drury buout on Richards
Use Richards buyout on Stasny
Stasny buyout on..?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
6@6 max for Statsny.

I rather Sather work some magic and bring over ROR instead.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers are in a cap squeeze with little room to maneuver, which is why any and all buyers must be wary of reports that the club is in on a premier free agent such as Colorado center Paul Stastny. A well-placed source has told The Post that the Blueshirts have neither inquired about Stastny nor are expected to do so. They simply do not have the space to make such a conversation worthwhile.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/25/rangers-interested-in-offensive-defenseman-dan-boyle/

Larry spoke to Sather.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Rangerboy I'll take your word for it, but I just picked up this information on /r/hockey. Not sure how accurate these people are.

Adrian Dater @adater
Rangers have called about Stastny

Katie Flynn @flynnkatie
Report: Blues have 'reached out' to Paul Stastny; Rangers also interested

jcnyranger

Jun 18, 2014
Rangerboy I'll take your word for it, but I just picked up this information on /r/hockey. Not sure how accurate these people are.

There is a scenario that they can go for Stastny (although probably not likely) - either trade Brassard OR qualify him for a 1 year deal only with no intention of resigning him. Still able to sign Zucc; adios Stralman, Boyle, Carcillo.

Slight bumps for Kreider, J. Moore, D. Moore extend Staal (try to get AAV to $5.1 mil if possible) and see what you get back for Brassard.

Not advocating this but it would be possible. (Assuming cap of $71.1 mill) can also send down Haggerty and Allen/McIlrath and use that for a #6 D-Man to run the PP (roughly 1.85 mil)

2014-2015 Line
Kreider $2,250,000.00 1
Nash $7,800,000.00 1
Stepan $3,075,000.00 1
St. Louis $5,625,000.00 2
Hagelin $2,250,000.00 2
Stastny $6,500,000.00 2
Miller $894,167.00 3
Zuccarello $4,000,000.00 3
Penner/Pouliot $2,500,000.00 3
Dorsett $1,633,333.00 4
D. Moore $1,500,000.00 4