Who will retire with more individual awards: Crosby or Ovechkin?

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Ovechkin has a calder, so 14. Messier bs isn't an award with any prestige, shouldn't count. 14-9.

Crosby will get the rocket this year, so 14-10. He might get the lindsay, so 14-11. He's not getting the Hart. Going forward I think Ovechkin can win 1-3 rockets and maybe a smythe depending on the caps POs, but probably not anything else. Crosby will probably be a top ross/hart/lindsay candidate for the next 1-2 years. I'd say Ovechkin ends with more.

Ovi with 3 more rockets?

Not a chance, age will see to that.

We're already seeing the decline this year, and it will only get worse.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Ovi with 3 more rockets?

Not a chance, age will see to that.

We're already seeing the decline this year, and it will only get worse.

I said 1-3, that doesn't mean 3 on the dot. And yes, the guy is top 10 in goals even though he couldn't shoot the puck for 2 months. Huge decline.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
So now the Calder isn't considered a major award?

The bias is unbelievable. I bet if Crosby or McDavid had won it it would Be "major".

It should be Calder, Ross, Hart, Lindsay, Richard and Smythe (even though this is a post season award).

Ovechkin will finish with more individual awards but he won't come close to Crosby's team stuff as he wasn't born in Canada.

When has anyone ever looked at an all time great and talked about his Calder win?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
When has anyone ever looked at an all time great and talked about his Calder win?

More than anyone ever talked about the Frito Lays/State Farm/Jiffy Lube Messier Leadership award, that's for sure

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Crosby's award totals will always come with that asterisk. How many seasons did he tear up the league but miss too many games to get the art ross or rocket that would probably have been his?

Then again, his Conn Smyth should have an asterisk, too. I think it really should have been Kessel's, but they gave it to Crosby as a consolation prize for losing it to Malkin the last time around.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

In this particular case you have to remember that Ovechkin had to beat Crosby for the Calder. So yes, it kind of means something. Crosby had a great rookie season, Ovechkin's was incredible. I think a lot of people don't remember just how terrible the Washington roster was for the first few years of Ovechkin's career. He was really a one-man scoring machine.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Crosby's award totals will always come with that asterisk. How many seasons did he tear up the league but miss too many games to get the art ross or rocket that would probably have been his?

You do that and then you have to strip him of his first Rocket and give that to Ovechkin. Likely Ovechkin gets the Hart and Lindsay that year too. Good chance at the Art Ross as well.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Crosby will win the rocket this year, and i think he still can win another lindsay and ross. I think Ovi still has another rocket left in him. Messier doesn't mean ****. So at the end of their careers maybe maybe 15-12 Ovi. Crosby could get more depending on if he stays healthy and Ovi could get more then 1 rocket if he returns to 50 goal form.

Its going to be tough for Crosby to win another scoring title. In '14 there wasn't much competition, but now you have Kane, Marchand, Backstrom, Kucherov, Scheifele,, Malkin, Panarin etc plus the young stars like Matthews, LD McDavid, Marner and Laine.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
In this particular case you have to remember that Ovechkin had to beat Crosby for the Calder. So yes, it kind of means something. Crosby had a great rookie season, Ovechkin's was incredible. I think a lot of people don't remember just how terrible the Washington roster was for the first few years of Ovechkin's career. He was really a one-man scoring machine.

This.

And you know what, people talk all the time about Bourque winning the Calder instead of the more deserving Gretzky. It is basically the only "offensive" award Gretzky never won.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
You do that and then you have to strip him of his first Rocket and give that to Ovechkin. Likely Ovechkin gets the Hart and Lindsay that year too. Good chance at the Art Ross as well.

Ovechkin gets the 09 ross, 10 ross+rocket+hart if not for a couple of flukey missed games.

It's strange how people want to give Crosby fantasy rosses/harts in seasons he was the PPG leader after 30 games, but they don't give the same benefit to Ovechkin even though he was the leader over 70+ games.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ovy... he's already ahead as is

I'd guess the same. I don't see Sid winning enough to catch back up at this point. It's certainly possible though. Given health and staying with the line he's with right now, I wouldn't rule out some more for Sid.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO

Then again, his Conn Smyth should have an asterisk, too. I think it really should have been Kessel's, but they gave it to Crosby as a consolation prize for losing it to Malkin the last time around.

You can't just say that injuries don't matter. Forsberg likely could have been considered even more legendary than he already is if he wasn't plagued with injuries, same with Lindros. When you get injured enough that it affects your legacy it sucks, but it is a part of the game. Ovi plays a rough game and hasn't had that problem, and that's part of what makes him that much greater of a player.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Gretzky wasn't eligible

Obviously or he would have won.

It was a pissing contest between the WHA and the NHL that screwed Gretzky. He lost because he had played "professional" hockey.

If this was still the case today, neither Matthews, Nylander or Laine would be eligible.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I still don't see the point. They weren't in competition for the best in the world that year and the calder is clearly a lesser award. If you're comparing the trophy case of two players, I've never seen the value in using it.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Shocking, but I just looked and this is Crosbys points totals last seven years...

84 (so far)

One season was great - but other than that, nothing really that impressive or "best on the planet". Injuries are a major part of it - but the numbers are still the numbers.

Don't be surprised in 2 years when Crosby is ovi's age he's also in the 70 point range. It's close to that already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad