Who will McDavid surpass for best single peak regular season? Jagr vs Ovi vs Crosby vs Malkin

Who will McDavid surpass for best single peak regular season in his career?

• Total voters

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
There have been eras where seasons were only 50 or so games long.

The thing is that scoring in North division isnt particularly high and other players in North division arent scoring unusual numbers at all. A reasonable adjustment can be made for McDavids production, but some poeple are not interested in honest discussion.
Okay well no-one is comparing 50 game seasons from the 40's. Anyways, irrelevant.

Once again, it does not even have to be a North division argument. The whole point is that we are trying to compare production from a 66% length season where you only play 6 different teams vs. a 100% length where you play all/mostly all of the teams. The only thing that is not honest is acting like the 2 are the same.

Adamantoise

Mar 15, 2021
Okay well no-one is comparing 50 game seasons from the 40's. Anyways, irrelevant.

Once again, it does not even have to be a North division argument. The whole point is that we are trying to compare production from a 66% length season where you only play 6 different teams vs. a 100% length where you play all/mostly all of the teams. The only thing that is not honest is acting like the 2 are the same.
They arent the same. I just dont think they are so incomparable that any comparisons cannot be made.

I stand by What I said. If McDavid scores 100 points this year I think its on par with Ovechkin 07-08 adjusting for shorter schedule and division strength. Obviously, if McDavid scores 145 poins in a 82 game season, thats a whole tier above.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yes, absolutely. It goes to durability, the physical attributes of a player (which are inextricable from any discussion of athletes), as well as on-ice awareness (the Steckel hit was Crosby's fault - he wasn't looking where he was going and skated right into Steckel).

Crosby has lots of positive attributes. Durability isn't one of them. Durability is a virtue in all professional sports.

Anyone can get hit with a puck for one thing, and Steckel ran into him after the play did he not? A big reason he missed so much time was they thought a neck injury he had was a concussion, outside of those things he has played most games so it's hard to say it's based on his playstyle.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Anyone can get hit with a puck for one thing, and Steckel ran into him after the play did he not? A big reason he missed so much time was they thought a neck injury he had was a concussion, outside of those things he has played most games so it's hard to say it's based on his playstyle.

No, Crosby ran into Steckel. Crosby was not watching where he was going, he was watching the puck, and he turns right into Steckel.

And yes, anyone can get hit with a puck. Ovie's been hit in the face with the puck. But a more durable player misses fewer games from these types of things.

The ankle, the concussions, the neck, the jaw, the core muscle problem from last year - Crosby has missed a lot of games for a lot of different reasons. At some point it's fair to acknowledge he's simply not the most durable player. To say otherwise would not be equitable to the players who are available every night.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
There was a significant difference in league wide scoring between those seasons.

The scoring environment is an important factor.

And Malkin played 75 games BTW - but I don't think players missing games somehow bolsters their case. McDavid scoring 0 points in a game provides far more value to his team than McDavid in the press box. People rampantly get this wrong.

McDavid blows your boy Malkin away guy.

You look like a tool comparing these 2 during the regular season.

Playoffs all day to Malkin because McDavid hasn't proven himself yet but regular season... get real lol

Reactions: Syyncrow

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
McDavid blows your boy Malkin away guy.

You look like a tool comparing these 2 during the regular season.

Playoffs all day to Malkin because McDavid hasn't proven himself yet but regular season... get real lol

You shouldn't be so confident when you're clearly naive to scoring environment differences. You're embarrassing yourself.

Reactions: Plural and sanscosm

Adamantoise

Mar 15, 2021
Watching him play against the Canadian division.
McDavid had a lower points per game against Canadian teams than the rest of the league last year. He also had a lower career points per game against Canadian teams than other teams.

You should watch a few games. He's the best player in the world by lightyears.

Reactions: authentic

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Jagr will be tough to beat. His Hart year he lapped the field, putting up close to 130 points in the middle of the DPE.

If he keeps roughly this pace this season I think he eclipses the other threes peak year though. If he can hold on for 90 points in 56 games in my mind that beats anything the other guys have done. Assuming the Oilers make the playoffs that is.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Jagr will be tough to beat. His Hart year he lapped the field, putting up close to 130 points in the middle of the DPE.

If he keeps roughly this pace this season I think he eclipses the other threes peak year though. If he can hold on for 90 points in 56 games in my mind that beats anything the other guys have done. Assuming the Oilers make the playoffs that is.

Pre-Olympic Ovechkin:

89 points (42 goals, 47 assists) in 54 games, destroying everything on his way, while playing vs 29 teams in a harder scoring environment where there were actually more hits and goalies had bigger pads. So no, 90 points in 56 games, McDavid still won't touch peak Ovechkin and he won't touch Jagr neither. Probably 10-11 Crosby as well but Sid played too few games (41) so it is hard to tell.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Pre-Olympic Ovechkin:

89 points (42 goals, 47 assists) in 54 games, destroying everything on his way, while playing vs 29 teams in a harder scoring environment where there were actually more hits and goalies had bigger pads. So no, 90 points in 56 games, McDavid still won't touch peak Ovechkin and he won't touch Jagr neither. Probably 10-11 Crosby as well but Sid played too few games (41) so it is hard to tell.

Ovechkin was really special that season (that entire 3 season run really). I feel like he was at the height of his powers pre-Olympics. I honestly feel like he was playing even better than his 65 goal season up to that point in the season.

It’s mind boggling to think about that he built his entire career “above 1 PPG in those opening handful of seasons. He’s been under a PPG in the 800+ games and 11 seasons since that Olympic break (and suspensions) really took the sails out of his all around force of nature style game.

It hurts to think about what once was.

McDavid needs that elusive 130+ point campaign to topple such a high level performance for one season.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Pre-Olympic Ovechkin:

Yeah that was a great partial season for Ovi and it’s close but I give McDavid an edge (assuming he hits 90) based on his overall impact. This season McDavid has been really good at both ends. His analytics and actual production are through the roof.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah that was a great partial season for Ovi and it’s close but I give McDavid an edge (assuming he hits 90) based on his overall impact. This season McDavid has been really good at both ends. His analytics and actual production are through the roof.

That's fair. I wonder how scoring levels compare between these two seasons.

I would give the edge to Ovechkin. His overall play wasn't that good, but his possession play was off the charts. That was 64 goal and 135 point pace for Ovechkin.

Reactions: Paul4587

Adamantoise

Mar 15, 2021
That's fair. I wonder how scoring levels compare between these two seasons.

I would give the edge to Ovechkin. His overall play wasn't that good, but his possession play was off the charts. That was 64 goal and 135 point pace for Ovechkin.
09-10 2.84
20-21 North 3.02
20-21 overall 2.92

Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad