Who will leave the bigger legacy: Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artempogba

Feb 22, 2019
Drive for show, putt for dough. When compared to the all-time great players, OV's playoff resume is lacking, and vs. Crosby, especially on the international scene.

If you want to argue that OV's goalscoring exploits will wow people in the future moreso than Crosby's accomplishments then you have to acknowledge that noone is going to give a shit about the Caps three Presidents Trophies, or if they do, then Crosby's three Cups will wow them way more.

It is a stupid OP to be honest. Both have established themselves as being among the most noteworthy players outside of the Big Four.
I didn’t know, Team Crosby has won 3 cups or Crosby has won 3 cups alone. Please show me this information, can’t find it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It depends where you are in my opinion. In Canada and Pittsburgh Crosby will be remembered more often, he has milestones with both. In Washington DC and Russia Ovie will be remembered more often for sure. I suspect in 50 years, one of them will still be the greatest goal scorer of all time so Ovie will be talked about more historically, but I guess we will see. I think you have that conversation more often than you do about the 9th or 10th best player of all-time where they are pretty close in ranking. I also think their careers overlapping with McDavid who I think really does have Mount Rushmore potential changes the complexion of this. But it is hard to predict the future.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You realize that my reply to you was, in no way, shape or form, argumentative, right? You needn't be up in arms about everything.

It is possible to simply have a conversation.

Perhaps if you replied specifically to my comment that OV's team success is not a strength then we are having a conversation. Seemed like you were saying I said OV's teams sucked.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The one with 3 Championships and a Gold Medal Goal. What kind of question is this. Even Ovi would tell you he wish he had that resume.

Inner Gear

Apr 7, 2008
OV.

There are two reasons.

First, Crosby is great player, definitely more versatile than OV, but he's kinda jack of all trades and master of none. Can score, but not OV or Hull or Bossy... Great playmaker, good assist numbers, but not Gretzky (or many others). Good in defence, but not Datsyuk or Bergeron. Won three Cups but Malkin did that too. Good leader but far from Messier. People's minds work mostly "the best and the rest" way. Yes, Crosby is one of the all-time greats, but OV is one of a kind.

Second, Crosby has no personality outside of hockey. He is basically a ghost. OV...is OV. Speaks his mind. Hot wife. Drunk fountain swimmer. Caring father. Putin's Team. Charity (okay, Sid does that too). Etc etc etc. OV has so much more to remember about him.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Crosby, for the same reason Gretzky's legacy is bigger than Lemieux.

When a guy is a physical beast and can get away with things that other players can't, there's nothing to teach, nothing to learn from. He's just there for his career and then he's gone. But if you're teaching the game, you cannot do so without showing video of Crosby. He's one of the sharpest players to ever do it and anyone who laces up can find something to take from his approach.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Why do we even have an Art Ross, Ted Lindsay or Hart Trophy when it’s clear the regular season’s leading goal-scorer is the best player in that particular season?

seems pointless, no?

artempogba

Feb 22, 2019
Why do we even have an Art Ross, Ted Lindsay or Hart Trophy when it’s clear the regular season’s leading goal-scorer is the best player in that particular season?

seems pointless, no?

some proofs about who said that a leading goal scorer is the best player in particular season?

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Crosby easily

Top 5 player all time
3 Cups / 2 Conn Smythes
he's already 10th all time in playoff points, will likely finish top 4
he's currently 6th all time in points per game (OV is 23rd)
2 gold medals
Golden Goal is the most famous goal scored of all time

Both highlighted points are wrong. Try again.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Among very casual fans (Americans who follow a couple other leagues foremost) of the sport it will be Ovechkin over time. I have very little doubt of this already, and if he passes Wayne it’s a shoe-in imo.

But I think past them, hockey fans will think of this as the Crosby era.

Reactions: Vegeta and sanscosm

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
It's only famous because Canadians were so afraid of the idea of losing to the USA in the Gold Medal game lmao

I don't even think that is the most famous goal in Canadian history. Now, I'm not Canadian, but I was told that it was Paul Henderson goal in the Summit Series that was the most famous goal in Canadian history. Is this not correct?

HockeySniper

May 13, 2018
Ovi had a bigger leagacy even without a cup. Now that he has one and the talk about 99 it’s hard to go against him

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
I don't even think that is the most famous goal in Canadian history. Now, I'm not Canadian, but I was told that it was Paul Henderson goal in the Summit Series that was the most famous goal in Canadian history. Is this not correct?

Henderson's goal is by far the most important goal in Canadian Hockey History. Having seen both Hendersons goal and the Crosby goal, it isnt even close.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
If Ovechkin breaks the goals record, it'll be him. That's rare air, and would cement anyone's legacy, even without any other achievements.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
If Ovechkin passes Gretzky in goals it will be him no doubt. If not they will be relatively close with the edge probably going to Crosby (2010 golden goal is huge for his legacy)

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Crosby, for the same reason Gretzky's legacy is bigger than Lemieux.

When a guy is a physical beast and can get away with things that other players can't, there's nothing to teach, nothing to learn from. He's just there for his career and then he's gone. But if you're teaching the game, you cannot do so without showing video of Crosby. He's one of the sharpest players to ever do it and anyone who laces up can find something to take from his approach.

Gretzky has more goals than Lemieux. Gretzky has more assists than Lemieux. Gretzky has more points than Lemieux. Crosby does NOT have more goals than Ovi. Crosby does have more assists than Ovi. Crosby does NOT have more points than Ovi. I don't see the comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad