Who will have more points next season? Kappo Kakko or Alexis Lafreniere?

Who will have more points next season? Kakko or Lafreniere?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is Laf actually generational, or more franchise level? I see both terms used to describe him every now and then and am not entirely sure which best suits him.
He is not generational. Very, very, very few are. He is however, a franchise cornerstone. One that a team can be built around. The Rangers are very fortunate to have two such players in him and Kakko.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I guess Laf won't need to learn the NHL, so he gets compared to Crosby, so let's expect 100 points for him. :sarcasm:

I went with Kakko one year older and played pro hockey for years including in Europe.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
"Alf" is the "Diaper Line" of player nick names. Please stop.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don’t know. I voted Alf, so it’s probably gonna end up being Kakko. It’s tough because Kakko had a good play-in. He’s gonna be a beast too.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
What's ridiculous is you have been here for 12 years and haven't realized this is a board of posters discussing things past, present, and future. Are you really throwing a fit over people predicting point totals for a player in an upcoming season?

HockeyHistoryBoards, and HockeyRecentlyBoards are two completely different websites from this one. :naughty:

Is Laf actually generational, or more franchise level? I see both terms used to describe him every now and then and am not entirely sure which best suits him.

I believe he is in the "franchise" tier. Most drafts should have one at the top, but not all do. 2019 was a year with two "not quite franchise" guys at the top, and both NJD & NYR knew it. Similar to 2 and 3 this year, if Laf didn't exist.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Nah I think he’ll lead the team in his second season. He’s going to be that good. Rangers fans are just too scared that he’ll bust.. (he won’t)
I think he will be great. But 90+ points in season 2 is probably a fantasy.

I really don't know what Kakko is going to do this year. I'm excited to see them both in action though. I could see them being within 10 points of each other when all is said and done.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
"Alf" is the "Diaper Line" of player nick names. Please stop.

giphy.gif

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
They're both going to be beasty, but gotta go with Alf.

He's a special prospect, and he's goinf to be a legit top9 player right out of camp; who knows how much of a step he is able to take during the season.

These guys are teenagers. Dont get your hopes up about being "beasty" for a couple of years.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Can KK play in the AHL? Maybe he needs a little time there.

Just a question based on comments here saying KK wasn’t good this past season.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Can KK play in the AHL? Maybe he needs a little time there.

Just a question based on comments here saying KK wasn’t good this past season.

Some people don't realize how much hockey he had played before his rookie season. It was a crap ton. No surprise he was running out of gas for a lot of the season. During the stoppage and playoff in the hockey round, he looked much better against the Canes.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lafreniere and Kakko are 19, it’s not unheard of for 19 year olds to be very good in the NHL, especially guys with their pedigree. If they both can’t put up at least 2nd line numbers there’s a big problem

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
This thread is giving me PTSD from the Kakko thread before last season where everyone was penciling him in for 50-60 points.

I see Kakko playing with Panarin this season and Laf likely playing on the 3rd line, so (assuming an 82 game season) I'm predicting something to the effect of:

Kakko: 20-25-45
Laf: 10-25-35

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
This thread is giving me PTSD from the Kakko thread before last season where everyone was penciling him in for 50-60 points.

I see Kakko playing with Panarin this season and Laf likely playing on the 3rd line, so (assuming an 82 game season) I'm predicting something to the effect of:

Kakko: 20-25-45
Laf: 10-25-35

that would be awful for Laf in an 82 game season.

Laf and Kakko were seen as a sure thing when they were drafted. People may not remember it now but yes Kakko was looked at this way.
50-60 points wasn't a crazy expectation for Kakko before last season, every expert had him pegged as NHL ready, with zero concerns about his ability to translate his game. The fact that he woefully underperformed is concerning and if Laf does the same, thats a huge issue and falls on the Rangers, not the prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad