Who will have more points next season? Kappo Kakko or Alexis Lafreniere?

Who will have more points next season? Kakko or Lafreniere?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Lafreniere and Kakko are 19, it’s not unheard of for 19 year olds to be very good in the NHL, especially guys with their pedigree. If they both can’t put up at least 2nd line numbers there’s a big problem

In Mackinnon's first 5 seasons, his best point total was 63 in his rookie season. He followed that up with 38, 52, and 53. Then he exploded and hasn't dipped out of the 90-point range for 3 seasons, and is the cornerstone of a very dangerous Avs team. It took him 5 years to get to that point after going 1st overall.

There was enough patience to go through the rebuild up until now, there has to also be enough patience to let these kids (actual kids) grow and mature in the NHL.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
In Mackinnon's first 5 seasons, his best point total was 63 in his rookie season. He followed that up with 38, 52, and 53. Then he exploded and hasn't dipped out of the 90-point range for 3 seasons, and is the cornerstone of a very dangerous Avs team. It took him 5 years to get to that point after going 1st overall.

There was enough patience to go through the rebuild up until now, there has to also be enough patience to let these kids (actual kids) grow and mature in the NHL.

He still scored 63 points as an 18 year old on a bad team.
RNH scored at 50+ pace on a completely dogshit Edmonton team in 2012.
Nico Hischier scored 50 points as an 18 year old.

Sick of having tempered expectations.

Lafreniere is considered a super elite prospect, better than any of those players at the time of their draft (even MacKinnon).

You can chalk up Kakko's bad season on fatigue and burnout, its a legit argument.

But Lafreniere not having a good rookie season reflects horribly on the organization. Full stop.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
He still scored 63 points as an 18 year old on a bad team.
RNH scored at 50+ pace on a completely dogshit Edmonton team in 2012.
Nico Hischier scored 50 points as an 18 year old.

Sick of having tempered expectations.

Lafreniere is considered a super elite prospect, better than any of those players at the time of their draft (even MacKinnon).

You can chalk up Kakko's bad season on fatigue and burnout, its a legit argument.

But Lafreniere not having a good rookie season reflects horribly on the organization. Full stop.

That's a short-sighted way to look at it. We all know development isn't a straight line, no matter draft position. Now you're just looking at his rookie season - what if he follows up a 60-point rookie season with a 30-point sophomore season? Does he go from rising star to instant, irredeemable bust for you? What if he "plateaus" at 50-60 points for 4 years, like Mackinnon? Is he then cast as a Chris Kreider, "tease of what could be" player? These guys need some time to get where we're hoping they get. Laf, Kakko, Kravtsov, everyone. Hell, Zibanejad at 25/26 years old basically just broke out after 7(!!) seasons in the NHL.

Like someone said, if Laf is lights out from the start then that's all gravy, but it can't be an indictment on anyone if he scores like 40-50 points his rookie year.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This thread is giving me PTSD from the Kakko thread before last season where everyone was penciling him in for 50-60 points.

I see Kakko playing with Panarin this season and Laf likely playing on the 3rd line, so (assuming an 82 game season) I'm predicting something to the effect of:

Kakko: 20-25-45
Laf: 10-25-35

if lafreniere has a season like that it would be the second worst rookie season for first forwards taken the past 10 years after Hughes. Why is everyone so pessimistic with lowly expectations? The first forward in the draft has a median of like 57 pts/82 their rookie year

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This thread is giving me PTSD from the Kakko thread before last season where everyone was penciling him in for 50-60 points.

I see Kakko playing with Panarin this season and Laf likely playing on the 3rd line, so (assuming an 82 game season) I'm predicting something to the effect of:

Kakko: 20-25-45
Laf: 10-25-35
Laf putting up 35 points in a full season would be disappointing. that'd be among the worst 1st OA production in recent years.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Is Laf actually generational, or more franchise level? I see both terms used to describe him every now and then and am not entirely sure which best suits him.

He’s comparable to Matthews, Dahlin and McKinnon. Make of that what you will.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, I didn't.
sk1Xc2q.gif

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Lafreniere and Kakko are 19, it’s not unheard of for 19 year olds to be very good in the NHL, especially guys with their pedigree. If they both can’t put up at least 2nd line numbers there’s a big problem

It's not unheard of, but it's certainly more heard of that they need a year or two to find their sea legs and adjust to the massive speed change the NHL presents.

BlueBlood94

Oct 11, 2011
Gonna be close imo. I'll go with Kakko next season. LAF from then on.
Laffy as his teammates are calling him should always outpoint kakko. Kakko is a goal scorer, Laffy has a much more complete game. He will pile up assists. It will be interesting to see if the season starts late and Laffy plays the WJC for Canada. Maybe they will give him some run at Center. The Great One thinks he’s a C. His opinion should be respected by all. Without this or Strome leaving us safe to say he stays on the wing at least for his rookie season.

Laffy compares his game to Mikko Rantanen, this I think is a solid comparison. Granted they play opposite wings but similar style. Mikko is a pt per game player which is great. However, the ceiling for laffy i feel is higher. Not just in terms of points, Laffy is the better all around player. He has a better game and a higher hockey IQ. He will be a better player. He’s not Connor McDavid but maybe he could be Crosby light. Without the crying and cheep shots.

Kakko can score more goals than Laffy on any given season. The point totals wont be close though as Laffy will stack the assists. I think Kakko can put up better numbers than Kreider. Laffy though will put up Numbers closer to the bread man. The Rangers could have 10 players score over 40 points next season. The 22 season we could have 3 point per game producers. This team will be better offensively this season and next. Hopefully Miller and Lundqvist can lock it down on D and add some O. We need to increase our goal differential. With a full season of Igor and better defense were on our way.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Agreed. But I have KK with more points NEXT season and next season ONLY.

Kind of why I did this poll. I think everyone pretty much has ALF as the better player. But next season I believe will be very close in regards to ppg.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Really depends who wants to put the work in this offseason. If both guys put in serious work than I think Laf will end up with more points. I say that with a grain of salt because I felt Laf took this past season for granted to a degree.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Really depends who wants to put the work in this offseason. If both guys put in serious work than I think Laf will end up with more points. I say that with a grain of salt because I felt Laf took this past season for granted to a degree.
Did you see the date I posted this poll Nicky lol?

Reactions: NickyFotiu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->