Speculation: Who will get bought out this offseason?

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
EJ will waive because there is no reason for SEA to pick him.

Why would they pick a 33 year old dman, signed for 2 more years at $6 million/per year and has been injury prone the past 1.5 seasons.. .when they can pick Graves, or Donskoi, or Compher.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
There's definitely downsides to rushing a Valsic buyout since it significantly increases the length of the cap hit and there are some "bad" years thanks to the signing bonuses, especially 2022-23 for him in particular.

Unfortunately, this is two straight seasons where he was NOT worth the money, not by a longshot. You don't want to end up like Vancouver where you wait so long for a buyout that you're stuck paying the whole thing. There is never a good time for a buyout. The best time for one was yesterday.

I don't think the sharks can use the cap space, but I do think they can use the ice time. If I was their GM, I'd want to be trying someone younger who might actually be one the team in 4-5 years when they could theoretically contend rather than waste those minutes on a guy who is making the team less effective and won't be around later when the team is more competitive.
Tbh, I think the Sharks are pretty much screwed. Too many bloated contracts for aging and ineffective or soon to be ineffective players, no elite prospects and terrible goal tending. If they were smart they start unloading everyone that they can ASAP for lots of draft picks. It's time to rebuild, not tread water.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Tbh, I think the Sharks are pretty much screwed. Too many bloated contracts for aging and ineffective or soon to be ineffective players, no elite prospects and terrible goal tending. If they were smart they start unloading everyone that they can ASAP for lots of draft picks. It's time to rebuild, not tread water.
In some cases they may need to unload draft picks to move guys.

Reactions: RavenGuard

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d say 2 million of dead cap space in 23/24 is more of a non starter.

I also think they’d protect Burakovsky instead of Kadri.
you don’t lose a very good player over $2mm of dead cap space. That’s nothing. Better than the $6mm of dead space EJ is today. Easy choice. Buy out over lose a guy like Kadri, Nuke or Jost so EJ can get protection.
There are no scenarios China doll Johnson gets protected. He’s bought out before that happens.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Some are saying Parise, but I don't see it. Maybe after next year.

There’s just not much benefit to buying him out next year. I think if they’re ever buying him out, it’ll come this year. He’s clearly not happy with his situation and I can’t see them continuing this healthy scratch situation into next year.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Apparently, pissing off your backup goalie isn't enough to terminate a contract without approval from the offender. DeAngelo rejected the mutual termination the Rangers offered.

DeAngelo physically fought 2 Ranger players in lockerroom. Dude was bullying K'Andre somehow

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
DeAngelo physically fought 2 Ranger players in lockerroom. Dude was bullying K'Andre somehow

Has any of that other stuff been substantiated? The Georgiev scrap in the tunnel was plain as day to see.

I'm not defending the guy, but there needed to be enough just cause for the Rangers to be able to terminate DeAngelo's contract without his consent. I really don't think there was enough, otherwise, I'm pretty sure they would have done it already.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Has any of that other stuff been substantiated? The Georgiev scrap in the tunnel was plain as day to see.

I'm not defending the guy, but there needed to be enough just cause for the Rangers to be able to terminate DeAngelo's contract without his consent. I really don't think there was enough, otherwise, I'm pretty sure they would have done it already.
You also usually need to demonstrate that what the individual did is outside what is allowed within the company.
So a guy fighting teammates or bullying someone is only a contract ripping up event if its a heinous version of normal decorum.
This is a league where dudes punch eachother in the face, and there is a few fights a year between teammates.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
the Miller stiff didn’t happen

it was TDA and Georgiev

The Miller stuff DID happen. TDA is a dude who was suspended in juniors for being racist, an avid and outspoken Trump supporter (lol), and was KO'd by Kreider.

Great work, Chris

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The Miller stuff DID happen. TDA is a dude who was suspended in juniors for being racist, an avid and outspoken Trump supporter (lol), and was KO'd by Kreider.

Great work, Chris

lol ok because of something in junior it must of happened again

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
EJ will waive because there is no reason for SEA to pick him.

Why would they pick a 33 year old dman, signed for 2 more years at $6 million/per year and has been injury prone the past 1.5 seasons.. .when they can pick Graves, or Donskoi, or Compher.

EJ has been injury prone for a lot longer than just the past 1.5 seasons. He's only played more than 70 games 4 times during his decade in Colorado, and also missed 10+ games in each of the non-82 game seasons. Plus, he's reported dealing with concussion symptoms that have kept him out for all but 4 games this season. If he refused to waive and gets bought out, I doubt he'd get more than a PTO on the open market.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Sens told that to Dion Phaneuf during the Vegas expansion... he didn't budge.

Phaneuf had also only been with the Sens for a little over a year (101 games) when the Vegas expansion draft happened. EJ has been with the Avs for a full decade, and was extremely vocal about wanting to be here when Duchene demanded a trade. Seems like completely different situations to me, so I'm not sure why we should expect similar outcomes.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Phaneuf had also only been with the Sens for a little over a year (101 games) when the Vegas expansion draft happened. EJ has been with the Avs for a full decade, and was extremely vocal about wanting to be here when Duchene demanded a trade. Seems like completely different situations to me, so I'm not sure why we should expect similar outcomes.

I'm a little confused... I feel like those are all reasons why he wouldn't waive. Phaneuf refused to waive, I am just saying that I could see EJ doing the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad