Speculation: Who will get bought out this offseason?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
More like the last resort. There is already plenty of chatter around the Avs organization that he’ll waive his NMC for the ED. Habs fans everywhere will be crushed.

No hab fan anywhere will be crushed.

We already have a collection of slow, terrible dmen on the team.

Well, Bergevin might be crushed.

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
can anyone remind me what the dates are?

buyout
expansion draft - Jul 21
draft - Jul 23
free agency - Jul 28
second buyout

thanks in advance!

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Hertl avail for a big NYR package of Georgiev, 1st , top prospects like Jones ?
Jones is pretty good, but in the area we need least from prospects and if we trade Hertl we have little use for Georg. Package would be pure futures and needs a serious quality asset first, then some other stuff.

Pretty much your going to lose something you dont want to lose in a Hertl deal

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Jones is pretty good, but in the area we need least from prospects and if we trade Hertl we have little use for Georg. Package would be pure futures and needs a serious quality asset first, then some other stuff.

Pretty much your going to lose something you dont want to lose in a Hertl deal

i figured but at only 1 year left till ufa I wasn’t sure on the investment

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
can anyone remind me what the dates are?

buyout
expansion draft - Jul 21
draft - Jul 23
free agency - Jul 28
second buyout

thanks in advance!
I'd like to know too. For some reason I recall mention of buyouts happening after the expansion draft.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Nope. That’s a non starter. You don’t lose a Nuke, Bura or Jost to appease a non entity like EJ.

I’d say 2 million of dead cap space in 23/24 is more of a non starter.

I also think they’d protect Burakovsky instead of Kadri.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I feel like Martin Jones is almost definitely going to be bought out. The whole org has turned against him and seems to be using him as a scapegoat for our bad season. Not that he doesn’t deserve it because he was god awful, but Jones was far from our only problem.

Vlasic is basically un-buyoutable. I wish we could, but it’s not realistic. Besides, I don’t mind spending big money on a mediocre third pairing defenseman as much as I mind spending big money on a starting goaltender who wouldn’t even crack an AHL roster.

Hertl avail for a big NYR package of Georgiev, 1st , top prospects like Jones ?

See, I’d be at least intrigued by a package like this. A mid-first and a great-but-not-elite prospect like one of NYR’s defensemen would be a reasonable offer for a top center with only one year on his contract.

However, there is a huge disconnect between what the fans want and what the Sharks will do. We want to re-build, which would include trading Hertl for futures. But Sharks management is convinced that the Sharks will be a playoff team next year for some ungodly reason (I'm assuming they didn’t watch any Sharks games the past two years) so I doubt Hertl is actually available in real life.

Reactions: Vitto79

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Stralman could be one for Florida, tough to say. He's fallen out of the rotation (Forsling stepped up, Nutivaara has been getting consistently into games recently, then the Montour trade happened, not to mention the line-up is missing Ekblad and probably a couple AHL guys pushing for a spot next season), past injuries and age is starting to show. He played fine the first 20-ish games, so it's not like he's completely done. I could see the team keeping him for veteran depth (especially if Yandle is gone, d-core would be really young), but at the same time that money could be spent elsewhere. We don't really have financial constraints to buy Stralman out though, so it would be more like allowing him to pursue a spot somewhere else.

16 team no trade probably means he isn't getting traded either.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Koskinen might be another buyout candidate from Edmonton especially if a quality goalie or 2 shake loose

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Doubt Wings buyout anybody. Neilson's the closest to buyout material, but they'll likely just ride out his last year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some are saying Parise, but I don't see it. Maybe after next year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Depending on the Oilers off season plans they could probably keep Neal for another year and buy him out next off season. They will have a lot of cap space this off season so buying him out might not be necessary yet.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
I can respect the ice time argument but chances are that the Sharks will get rid of Radim Simek this offseason. He is likely the exposed defenseman in the Seattle expansion draft. If he is not taken there, they will likely trade him for a late round draft pick afterwards. That move will open up ice time for the likes of Hatakka, Kniazev, Merkley, and Pasichnuk to compete for. I think they can hold off on buying Vlasic out due to the damaging nature of his buyout for now even though I agree he's not anywhere near worth his deal. He's at least been solid when relegated to the 3rd pairing so at least that's something instead of the vast nothing that is Jones. And considering they're going to likely buy out Jones, I don't think they're going to stomach two lengthy buyouts in one offseason. And really, I wouldn't even buyout Jones if I had unilateral control over what's going on. I'd simply send him to the AHL and eat the contract until it either expires or the team turns it around one year and look like they're trending upwards. I don't see that happening in the three seasons that Jones has left.

Is Hatakka really close to NHL ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad