Speculation: Who will get bought out this offseason?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Jones and Vlasic in San Jose should be, but they might keep Vlasic even if they shouldn't.

James Neal in Edmonton. Koskinen doesn't save enough money to be bought out

Loui Erikson should be bought out, I don't know what they're waiting for.

Edit: Matt Duchene should be, but won't. You don't pay a 30 yr old guy 8M for 15 minutes a night and 0.38 PPG.
Parise should be, but all that front loading f***ed them.
Buffalo should consider it with Okposo.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't really think they would, but the only remote candidate on Nashville I guess would be Borowiecki. I'd like to think that at only $2M per it shouldn't be impossible to trade him for a 7th round pick or something, though. But it's hard to imagine how he could fit in our lineup next season, and a $667k cap hit for him would be a tiny bit better than keeping him as a spare or burying him. :dunno:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't really think they would, but the only remote candidate on Nashville I guess would be Borowiecki. I'd like to think that at only $2M per it shouldn't be impossible to trade him for a 7th round pick or something, though. But it's hard to imagine how he could fit in our lineup next season, and a $667k cap hit for him would be a tiny bit better than keeping him as a spare or burying him. :dunno:
Not a buyout candidate, Ottawa would take him back next season if Nashville retains like...40%. Saves Nashville buy money.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Jones and Vlasic in San Jose should be, but they might keep Vlasic even if they shouldn't.

James Neal in Edmonton. Koskinen doesn't save enough money to be bought out

Edit: Matt Duchene should be, but won't. You don't pay a 30 yr old guy 8M for 15 minutes a night and 0.38 PPG.
Parise should be, but all that front loading f***ed them.
Buffalo should consider it with Okposo.

With the Sharks, it depends on what their actual direction is. If they're trying to compete next year and need every bit of cap space to do it then yeah you would buy them out if no trade is available. If they're trying to rebuild/refresh, they can keep Vlasic since he's solid on the 3rd pairing and bury Jones until they are serious about competing.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

I think they were afraid of buying him out too early and being stuck paying his cap-hit further than 1-2Y into their self-described competitive window. Now that there is only one-year left they might prefer to just bury him in the minors and finish the contact than have it linger past 21-22.

Reactions: Ciao

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
-2M for 4 years will hurt the Avs, but he's def not waiving

$2 million over 4 years hurts little. Pierre Lebrun has reported that in the Athletic that Colorado's management anticipates EJ waiving (at least suggesting that those discussions have already occurred on some level).

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jake Virtanen will surely be bought out if his contact isn’t voided first. It’s only a 50k cap hit.
Eriksson just to get him off the roster.

Jake, it's $50K in 21-22, but much more than that in 22-23 season. Canucks will have to see what their investigation reveals in the next 8-9 weeks before they have to make that decision.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What the f*** did you guys even do to him? He used to be a net-positive! Turris and Duchene too. I don't think Nashville should be allowed to take on Ottawa guys anymore. The only one I can think of that worked out was Fisher.
I think both sides can agree to that... no more Ottawa players, please. :) Although Fisher worked out so well that, sigh... maybe... argh. Probably there isn't anything terribly wrong with Borowiecki, he just happened to play for us when we were at our worst and it made him look worse than he really is. But other guys passed him in the meantime while he stayed injured, so it's sort of like he doesn't even exist for us anymore.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
With the Sharks, it depends on what their actual direction is. If they're trying to compete next year and need every bit of cap space to do it then yeah you would buy them out if no trade is available. If they're trying to rebuild/refresh, they can keep Vlasic since he's solid on the 3rd pairing and bury Jones until they are serious about competing.
You don't pay a guy 7M to sit on your third pairing. You buy him out, take the 1.5M cap hit next year, and you find a cheap UFA for 1M for your third pair next season, thereby saving yourself money and cap space.

Sharks will save almost 10M in a buyout. As long as they can replace his production over the next 5 years for less than 10m, they should do it. 100%. Yeah, maybe he brings leadership,e tc.. but big, unproductive contracts, also hurt your team's ability to hold one another accountable as well.

IDK, I think it would send a message, I'd do it.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think they were afraid of buying him out too early and being stuck paying his cap-hit further than 1-2Y into their self-described competitive window. Now that there is only one-year left they might prefer to just bury him in the minors and finish the contact than have it linger past 21-22.
Yeah, he's one guy where the savings won't amount to much so it might not happen.

1. They only save 1M in real dollars in a buyout and he gets to act as a free depth forward if they don't
2. Burying him costs you a 5M cap hit next year vs buying him out is 4M followed by 1M in 2022-23, so there is no net "savings" in cap hit.
3. Even keeping him on the roster doesn't change much because you're not going to substantially improve the Canucks with a 1M forward with your "savings" from a buyout.

Edit: Maybe a 50% retained 1 year transaction to Detroit? It would cost them an asset but they'd open up 3M in cap space and 2M in salary.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You don't pay a guy 7M to sit on your third pairing. You buy him out, take the 1.5M cap hit next year, and you find a cheap UFA for 1M for your third pair next season, thereby saving yourself money and cap space.

Sharks will save almost 10M in a buyout. As long as they can replace his production over the next 5 years for less than 10m, they should do it. 100%. Yeah, maybe he brings leadership,e tc.. but big, unproductive contracts, also hurt your team's ability to hold one another accountable as well.

IDK, I think it would send a message, I'd do it.

You typically don't but the options are dependent on the direction your team is going in. Buying someone out only makes sense if you actually plan on using the cap space you're creating. The reality is that that's not likely to be the case. Plus considering Vlasic's buyout would have increasing numbers for years two, four, and five, that's something you typically avoid where you can.

I think you send the message of accountability when you buy out or bury Jones. I don't think you need to send a second message of accountability at the expense of your own team which most options with Vlasic will carry with it.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
You typically don't but the options are dependent on the direction your team is going in. Buying someone out only makes sense if you actually plan on using the cap space you're creating. The reality is that that's not likely to be the case. Plus considering Vlasic's buyout would have increasing numbers for years two, four, and five, that's something you typically avoid where you can.

I think you send the message of accountability when you buy out or bury Jones. I don't think you need to send a second message of accountability at the expense of your own team which most options with Vlasic will carry with it.
There's definitely downsides to rushing a Valsic buyout since it significantly increases the length of the cap hit and there are some "bad" years thanks to the signing bonuses, especially 2022-23 for him in particular.

Unfortunately, this is two straight seasons where he was NOT worth the money, not by a longshot. You don't want to end up like Vancouver where you wait so long for a buyout that you're stuck paying the whole thing. There is never a good time for a buyout. The best time for one was yesterday.

I don't think the sharks can use the cap space, but I do think they can use the ice time. If I was their GM, I'd want to be trying someone younger who might actually be one the team in 4-5 years when they could theoretically contend rather than waste those minutes on a guy who is making the team less effective and won't be around later when the team is more competitive.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I thought the buyout window opened after the Playoffs ended?

I know there's a second window especially for teams with arbitration.

I believe this is correct. From what I remember, the initial dates reported for this season said 1 day after the playoffs end the buyout period begins (normally it's 2 days later or the last 2 weeks of June).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$2 million over 4 years hurts little. Pierre Lebrun has reported that in the Athletic that Colorado's management anticipates EJ waiving (at least suggesting that those discussions have already occurred on some level).
If WJ were to waive he better make sure he gets a solid commitment from Sakic about his future, ie not getting bought out later. Is he worth a $6 mill cap hit? No, not anymore. He would still hold a nmc, so he can’t be moved without his permission.

so if EJ waives to do Colorado a solid, he better feel confident that the Avs are keeping him through the end of his contract which runs 2 more years.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm a bit surprised there aren't more players that seem to be on the buyout block. Given all the teams' penny pinching last offseason, you'd think teams would be desperate to make cap space any way possible. This off season should be full of buy outs.

But I'm not seeing too many that make a lot of sense. The ones that really deserve it are just signed for too long.

I sometimes like when players are bought out, because they end up as cheap mercenaries. They tend to sign somewhere for cheap and try to rebound and build up their value. I makes a cool storyline to follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad