Who will finish top 5 and bottom 5 at the end of 2019?

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
Devils get two former Islanders and place top 5

Hall-Hischier-Zacha
Johansson-Tavares-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Maroon/Anderson/etc

De Haan-Vatanen
Greene/Mueller-Severson
Butcher-Santini/Mueller

Schneider

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Nash
TB
Columbus
Toronto(that hurt)

Bottom, worst upwards

Detroit
Ottawa
Montreal
Minny, big fall off
Buffalo but creeping up

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just for fun. Of course we still have free agency but give me the top 5 teams in the league and bottom 5 at the end of 2019.

Top 5:

Winnipeg, Nashville, Boston, Tampa, and Toronto

Bottom 5:

Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal, and Vancouver.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I honestly don't think Buffalo will be fighting for a playoff spot next year. I doubt a single player can have such an impact, especially when 18 year old defenceman in general rarely make a big impact.

No need to give up though. Dahlin changes the whole outlook on the future.

I'm with you -- they'll improve, possibly be a lot more competitive night-to-night, but they've got a long way to go while playing in a division with some very talented teams and they don't have proven goaltending.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Top 5

Toronto
Winnipeg
Nashville
Tampa
Pittsburgh

HM Boston

Bottom 5

Buffalo
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Vancouver

HM Edmonton

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I don’t want to be a fringe playoff team. I want Jack Hughes. I know the Rangers will get my hopes up, probably starting the year off going 10-1, then just tear my heart out. Don’t put me through that. Just give me Hughes
Get in line.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
That's a bottom 5 defence, the husk of Lundqvist, and a bunch of good but unspectacular forwards (which is what NYR have had for years). The Rags were terrible with McDonagh and now are without a #1D. DeAngelo on your first pairing is not even close to bubble territory.

Top5 (no order)

Boston
Tampa
Toronto
Winnipeg
Shot in the dark because I have no idea: Colorado

Bottom 5 (no order)

Montreal
NYI(if the keep Tavares change to NYR)
Ottawa (if they keep Karlsson they're fine)
Blackhawks
Sabres

Swing team that could be either: St Louis

The Hawks will probably be a bubble team next year but they won't be bottom 5. Pretty much every player outside of D-Cat/ Schmaltz had a down season and Crawford was gone most of the year and they still weren't in the bottom 5.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I went and looked at year-to-year standings since the lockout, and most of you are too conservative with your top 5. A lot of you are picking 1-2 teams to change in the top 5, whereas the reality is 2-3 teams usually change. The bottom 5 is much more chaotic though - could be only 1 team changes, could just as easily be 4 teams.

Top 5:
Winnipeg
Columbus
Nashville
Toronto
New Jersey

Bottom 5:
Chicago
Arizona
Montreal
NY Rangers
Detroit

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I honestly don't think Buffalo will be fighting for a playoff spot next year. I doubt a single player can have such an impact, especially when 18 year old defenceman in general rarely make a big impact.

No need to give up though. Dahlin changes the whole outlook on the future.

Depends on the moves Botts makes as it's not going to be just one player. Botterill has talked about Guhle, Ullmark, and Mittelstadt improving the team next season so I would assume they're on the starting roster.
He also talked about needing to bring in speedy wingers so maybe he targets players like Hagelin, Grabner, or someone like Miles Wood. Whoever he brings in should be a huge improvement to the team they want to build compared to Pominville, Pouliot, and Girgensons as top 6 wingers. People always talk about how its easier to get wingers...so hopefully it's true as its the Sabres biggest weakness right now.

Guhle was better than pretty much everyone other than maybe Scandella on the left side but Guhle only played 18 games.

Pilut>Beaulieu/McCabe.

Mittelstadt >Larsson and Josefson as the 3C but Mittelstadt only played 6 games.

Dahlin should be a top 4 defenseman on the team even in his draft season.

Ullmark + some other goalie should be > Lehner/TheChad as they were downright useless.

Every single team in the last 5 years that has won the lottery has made the playoffs the next year or the following year, obviously every circumstance is different..but we shall see. Either way I don't see this team in the bottom 5 at least.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Top 5:

Winnipeg, Nashville, Boston, Tampa, and Toronto

Bottom 5:

Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal, and Vancouver.

I like this one. Hope you’re right on Ottawa. I do think Buffalo will surprise and be somewhere around below average, and some team that was decent this year will get rocked by injuries and go into a tail spin in the second half.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like this one. Hope you’re right on Ottawa. I do think Buffalo will surprise and be somewhere around below average, and some team that was decent this year will get rocked by injuries and go into a tail spin in the second half.

Buffalo could improve a lot and still be 5th worst in the league.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Top 5:

Jets, Sharks, Capitals, Bruins, Lightning

Bottom 5:

Rangers, Senators, Red Wings, Canucks, Sabres

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Buffalo could improve a lot and still be 5th worst in the league.

Every year there’s a consensus bottom feeder that surprises. This year there was 2 or 3. Buffalo is going to have some high end talent on the team next year, especially if Mittelstadt is ready. I don’t think they’ll make the playoffs but I could see them picking 10th.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Every year there’s a consensus bottom feeder that surprises. This year there was 2 or 3. Buffalo is going to have some high end talent on the team next year, especially if Mittelstadt is ready. I don’t think they’ll make the playoffs but I could see them picking 10th.

As a Sabres fan, I'd be thrilled to get up to 10th. Perhaps I'm jaded. :biglaugh:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
1. Winnipeg
2. Nashville
3. Boston
4. Vegas
5. Tampa
27. NYI
28. Vancouver
29. Ottawa
30. Buffalo
31. Detroit

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
In no order...

Top 5 - Leafs Jets Lightning Preds Pens

Bottom 5 - NYI Sens Canucks Wings Habs

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont expect Buffalo to be bottom 5 either.

I'm not sure people realize just how dominant Dahlin is and how big of an impact he's going to have on that roster next year.

Him coming in will allow Risto to have a heavy weight taken off his shoulder, and will allow the rest of that Defense to slot down 1 extra spot for themselves as well.

Then you get a healthy Eichel, and a big injection of youth on offense from Mittelstadt...

I'm not sure they're a playoff team, but I expect them to be in the fight right until the end and end up just outside looking in with a pick around 9-12 overall.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Top 5

Winnipeg
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh
Vegas

Bottom 5

Minnesota
Arizona
Anaheim
Montreal
Calgary

Unfortunately, it looks like Anaheim and Minnesota will both be just good enough to lose horrifically in the 1st round, again. Also, I think it’s hard to see a team like Montreal finishing bottom 5 again. Price will be better, and they will likely not have as many injuries. Crazy what a goalie like Price can do for a team when he’s on. I also think Calgary has too many pieces in place to finish bottom 5. And with the way Arizona played at the end of the year and some of their young guys improving, I don’t think they’ll finish bottom 5 either.

Here’s how I see it:

Top 5:
NSH
WPG
TBL
Leafs
Boston

Bottom 5:
NYI
NYR
VAN
DET
OTT

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Top:

Vegas
Nashville
Winnipeg
Florida
Carolina

Bottom:

Detroit
Vancouver
Rangers
Ottawa
Edmonton

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Devils get two former Islanders and place top 5

Hall-Hischier-Zacha
Johansson-Tavares-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Maroon/Anderson/etc

De Haan-Vatanen
Greene/Mueller-Severson
Butcher-Santini/Mueller

Schneider
Oh boy. Not happening, but why would Tavares be on the second line? I like CDH, but in no way is he a top pairing d man.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
Oh boy. Not happening, but why would Tavares be on the second line? I like CDH, but in no way is he a top pairing d man.
De Haan would be OUR top pair dman and Tavares on 2c doesnt mean he doesnt end up playing the most. He would be kept away from Hall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad