Who will bust from 2018 NHL Draft

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Barring injury, I think it’s unlikely Dobson busts. I think his baseline projection is a #3 D. The other top defensemen, outside of Dahlen, all have more bust potential...
Boqvist (concussions)
Bouchard (skating)
Hughes (size)

Yeah Dobson is probably pretty unlikely to bust. I think Hughes is in that category as well despite his size. But you never know.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
This entire thread = Players picked by teams I don’t like
thats not true at all... you just feel attacked that Bouchard as the most vote, check my post from the pre draft i never liked Bouchard's game and i think the it's translate. i hate his body language on the ice and when he's static he doesn't seem to that that quick brain reactiong and the footstep, that is VERY concerning to me for a Dman at a high level.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
thats not true at all... you just feel attacked that Bouchard as the most vote, check my post from the pre draft i never liked Bouchard's game and i think the it's translate. i hate his body language on the ice and when he's static he doesn't seem to that that quick brain reactiong and the footstep, that is VERY concerning to me for a Dman at a high level.

I don’t give a rats ass what people think of Bouchard - I just think it’s funny how many votes that guys that went top ten are getting. HF couch GMs that watched three minutes of YouTube highlights thinking they’re qualified to gauge prospects like Kotkaniemi and Hayton and yeah, sure, Bouchard, whereas posters that watch these guys regularly have an entirely different outlook.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
guys are misintepreting with not delivering draft pedegree and bust. The 2 are very different.
No kidding. It amazes me how some are annointing these kids who aren't even six weeks into their lives as NHL picks as busts.

Patrick White = bust
Nick Ross = bust
Barrett Hayton = possible disappointment given where he was drafted.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I don’t give a rats ass what people think of Bouchard - I just think it’s funny how many votes that guys that went top ten are getting. HF couch GMs that watched three minutes of YouTube highlights thinking they’re qualified to gauge prospects like Kotkaniemi and Hayton and yeah, sure, Bouchard, whereas posters that watch these guys regularly have an entirely different outlook.

you seem to do give a damn rats about it with your reaction, i personnaly think i've watched enough and alot more than these 3min youtube video to have my thoughts on Bouchard wich was done long before the draft i simply don't like the type of player he is and i do not see his game translate in the show. i don't get what you are doing on HFboards if it bugs you that people on a hockey prospect forums people think they know what they are talking about, you also fit that description! the thread is a bout who as a hockey fan think will bust from the 2018, Not who as a hockey nostradamus guru future best professional scout in the world will bust in 2018 , if you don't like these thread or they affect you, simply don't read them! My pick still is bouchard and it has nothing to do with the jersey he's wearing!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am not sure what the bolded means. Are you saying that you believe they will be NHL players but below average NHL players?

Take the NHL. Divide the players in the league into halves. The half that includes the better players is the top half, the half that includes the worse players is the bottom half.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes at the U18. I saw good things. He's a good d-man in his own zone. Aware of where the puck is going. Also can start the offence from his zone. And can contribute when he's in the o-zone.

I don't like his skating but it's not the end of the world. Not a fan of his agility also. Like when he has to turn quick, take fast decision.

But overal there is potential in this kid. I see top 4 2 way d for him. But with the way he takes the PIM, it's just killing him imo. If he can takes half of is PIM I love him.

So you saw one tournament of PIM and have decided "too many PIM" so he's going to bust at spot 32? Busting at spot 32 would require not making the NHL.

You threw out a lot of big defensemen generalities that aren't even true about the player you specifically named, so I am going to guess you have little clue what you are saying.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Take the NHL. Divide the players in the league into halves. The half that includes the better players is the top half, the half that includes the worse players is the bottom half.

Probably a simpler way to answer would have been "yes," but whatever.

It is an interesting viewpoint. Not sure I agree with the players you listed being below average NHLers, but my criteria for bust would likely be related to expectations associated with draft slot than anything else.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
See a lot of Denisenko from people who for sure have never seen him play. Weird.

Considering only two people prior to your post named him, I'm going to assume you are talking about those two people.

I certainly have seen Denisenko play. If you go back through my posts, I suspect you'd find reviews I gave of his performance in particular games. Where have you seen him play? Why are the people who think he'll bust wrong?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Ty Dellandrea.

Dallas seems to have a habit of not developing their 1st round picks well... Heiskanen might be the rare example but that was a can't-miss pickup at #3.

You look at Tufte, Gurianov, Honka, Nuke, Dickinson, Faksa, Oleksiak, Campbell, Glennie - then you reach for a center who a lot of the mocks had going in the early 2nd? In a draft class notoriously weak at center? Very very risky.
While I agree that Dellandrea was a risky pick and a reach, having him as an early 2nd is just poor scouting. He should have gone in the 20's and there were actually a couple teams that tried to trade with Dallas once they caught wind that the Stars were set on him at 13

Peeps

May 24, 2017
So you saw one tournament of PIM and have decided "too many PIM" so he's going to bust at spot 32? Busting at spot 32 would require not making the NHL.

You threw out a lot of big defensemen generalities that aren't even true about the player you specifically named, so I am going to guess you have little clue what you are saying.

No.

When I refer about the PIM it's only on the stats sheet. He carry his insane PIM year after year. He is just not disciplined. It's not a good sign. I know he's a d-man and that he play physical, but even tho, he can still play physical and not take them PIM.

And seeing one tournament is enough. You see the player for 5 to 7 games and you can analize the way he plays. It's pretty easy to do. I'd love to see him during the begining middle and end of season, but I couldn't watch USHL or NTDP games. So I scout them during the U18 and U20.

And during the tournament he took 6 PIM in 7 games. Confirming the fact that wherever he plays the takes a lot lf PIM.

And like I said. I still feel he has top 4 potential, but I prefer his odds of becoming one if he can take half of his PIM.

But yeah he's 6'4''. I don't expect him to be the best skater out there. He's not bad. But he's not great.

I also read about him in the BB, FC and other less known scouting books. Also across the internet.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Considering only two people prior to your post named him, I'm going to assume you are talking about those two people.

I certainly have seen Denisenko play. If you go back through my posts, I suspect you'd find reviews I gave of his performance in particular games. Where have you seen him play? Why are the people who think he'll bust wrong?
I’d love to hear when you saw him play.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
No kidding. It amazes me how some are annointing these kids who aren't even six weeks into their lives as NHL picks as busts.

Patrick White = bust
Nick Ross = bust
Barrett Hayton = possible disappointment given where he was drafted.

Barrett Hayton, and really anyone drafted in the first 2 rounds, =possible bust.

I think he'll be fine but there is a chance that he never pans out as anything at the NHL level.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Veleno is the right answer here.
Veleno is getting madly underrated on these boards, He will likely live up to his exeptional status. but people realy underestimate his IQ, Ice vision and edgework. that alone will make him have a good NHL career. he will be a minimum a sean couturier pre 2017-2018. aka a 50pts 2-way center. If he can find himself and somehow put all his skill together i can see him reach 60-65pts.

to be honest i was never high on Zadina and i think theres a reason why he slipped when he was projected by some a sureshot top 3, he has big probleme winning 1v1 puck battle in junior against 16-20year old guy while being 200lbs ( things can change he's very young and while not realy controlling a game, his shot is unreal) i was pretty happy we passed on him to pick and Gamble on Kotkaniemi, Zadina would have been a realy bad fit in Montreal this guy needs a good Center or someone feeding him to reach his full potential and in his most important developpement year Montreal couldn't offer him that. my whole point of this is towards Veleno because i would have been confortable drafting Zadina Over Kotkaniemi if you gave me Veleno along Zadina. Sometimes the players environement has alot to do with how a player flourish!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Veleno is getting madly underrated on these boards, He will likely live up to his exeptional status. but people realy underestimate his IQ, Ice vision and edgework. that alone will make him have a good NHL career. he will be a minimum a sean couturier pre 2017-2018. aka a 50pts 2-way center. If he can find himself and somehow put all his skill together i can see him reach 60-65pts.

to be honest i was never high on Zadina and i think theres a reason why he slipped when he was projected by some a sureshot top 3, he has big probleme winning 1v1 puck battle in junior against 16-20year old guy while being 200lbs ( things can change he's very young and while not realy controlling a game, his shot is unreal) i was pretty happy we passed on him to pick and Gamble on Kotkaniemi, Zadina would have been a realy bad fit in Montreal this guy needs a good Center or someone feeding him to reach his full potential and in his most important developpement year Montreal couldn't offer him that. my whole point of this is towards Veleno because i would have been confortable drafting Zadina Over Kotkaniemi if you gave me Veleno along Zadina. Sometimes the players environement has alot to do with how a player flourish!

Oh jeez, you think his “floor” is a 50pt 2-way C?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Bouchard for me, zero effort when he's not involved in the offence

Defensemen version of Yakupov, won't translate to the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad