Who will bust from 2018 NHL Draft

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I don't like the fact that 2 guys were only drafted in the Top 5 just because their centers. Not saying that Kotkaniemi, and Hayton aren't good, but I mean the fact that Zadina dropped out of the Top 5 is crazy IMO, dude looks like a solid Top 6 Winger.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Bouchard imo

His skating and defensive play need a lot of work.

Flame away

He very well could disappoint but I’m not sure if he will outright bust. I’ve watched him lots and I think at worst he will be a J. Faulk clone (bottom pairing elite PP guy with huge defensive gaffs). His ceiling I think is definitely questionable with his defensive game and average skating. He needs to work on those aspects. Luckily for him he’s part of the best organization (London) for spitting out NHL talent and helping develop prospects and their weaknesses. Hopefully the Oilers don’t interfere and rush him

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Have you seen him play?

Yes at the U18. I saw good things. He's a good d-man in his own zone. Aware of where the puck is going. Also can start the offence from his zone. And can contribute when he's in the o-zone.

I don't like his skating but it's not the end of the world. Not a fan of his agility also. Like when he has to turn quick, take fast decision.

But overal there is potential in this kid. I see top 4 2 way d for him. But with the way he takes the PIM, it's just killing him imo. If he can takes half of is PIM I love him.

Macky

Jun 25, 2018
Kotkaniemi

Good player, but pick 3 overall......is very high for a 3 Line center

ijuka

May 14, 2016
a lot of Canucks fans are saying he is standing out for USA, and the absolute worst is a 3rd line guy, and that's his floor.
A u20 player standing out at u20s? Nothing new there. Even random undrafted u20 players can stand out.

Relative to draft rankings(Indeed, I don't think #1OA and #31OA should have the same requirements to be a bust), my top 5 busts for 2018 first round:

Barrett Hayton
Brady Tkachuk
Filip Johansson
K'Andre Miller
Ryan Merkley

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I'll say Kupari, Lundestrom, Veleno, Beaudin, Bokk, Denisenko

I also think Hayton, Tkachuk won't be as good as where they were drafted.

On the flip side, I think Dobson, Miller, Alexeyev, Lundkvist will exceed expectations

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Aside from the more obvious late 1st round guys that has the highest risk of busting it'll be very interesting to see if any of Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist busts. Wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them ends up not making it to the 200 NHL GP mark.

Barring injury, I think it’s unlikely Dobson busts. I think his baseline projection is a #3 D. The other top defensemen, outside of Dahlen, all have more bust potential...
Boqvist (concussions)
Bouchard (skating)
Hughes (size)

Reactions: PWJunior

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ty Dellandrea.

Dallas seems to have a habit of not developing their 1st round picks well... Heiskanen might be the rare example but that was a can't-miss pickup at #3.

You look at Tufte, Gurianov, Honka, Nuke, Dickinson, Faksa, Oleksiak, Campbell, Glennie - then you reach for a center who a lot of the mocks had going in the early 2nd? In a draft class notoriously weak at center? Very very risky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad