Speculation: Who will be the Flyers next starting goalie?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sure, I'm down. I'll try anything at this point. All right handed? Might confuse some shooters. Guy who plays with two blockers and no stick? Sure thing, at least it's something fresh. Dude born without a skeleton? Yep, dump him in the crease, the lack of bones increases flexibility.

Dan Blackburn former Rangers goalie in the early 2000's played with two blockers after hurting his glove hand.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
Don't really get the feeling they wanted Mason as a starter a few weeks back when they signed him for 1yr. I suspect the plan was always to go with a tandem approach. Any goalie that has to be traded for I think is a waste of assets seeing as we are clearly wanting to at least try Mason out. He is only 25 still, not like he's over the hill so just get a veteran guy for a year or two.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426533

Steve Mason was about to tee off on the back nine when Brayden Schenn interrupted with a breaking report.

"Have you heard the news," Schenn asked.

A puzzled Mason had no clue what Schenn was about to spill: Ilya Bryzgalov had his contract bought out by the Philadelphia Flyers.

When it comes to Flyers goaltenders, Mason is suddenly the leader in the clubhouse.

Mason is out doing things with his new teammates?

I don't remember Bryzgalov ever doing that.

"You almost hit rock bottom in terms of the way you feel about yourself as a goaltender," Mason said. "It got to the point in Columbus where I was struggling to find my confidence and also, struggling to come to the rink happy about playing hockey."

I pointed out that him being unhappy in Columbus could turn out to be a huge win for us if he likes being here. Surrounding him with a new atmosphere, putting around players he knew from juniors/WJCs, and making hockey exciting for him again could lead to a huge turnaround in his play.

"It was an extremely easy team to come into," Mason said. "and feel welcomed."

Example? Mason was invited along with captain Claude Giroux and other Flyers to play in Scott Hartnell's charity golf tournament in Canada. That's when word hit that Bryz was out -- and Mason was in.

"It wasn't a celebration," Mason said. "It was, here's an opportunity and go with it."

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Wonder what Philly would have given up for Schneider... Pretty sure way more than nj did..

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
Homer was being asked about what he might do now that Bryz is gone. He said he had lots of ideas. Some trades. Some UFAs. He said they need two goalies, really, one for the NHL and one for the AHL.

What Homer said, in response to a direct question about whether he would trade for Luongo, was 'no, I just don't see how that would work. That's not one of my ideas.'

I ABSOLUTELY think that Homer would be all over Luongo once Vancouver buys him out.

Homer should sit tight on goaltending until after the draft and see what happens on July 5.

There will be more goalies seeking a team than teams looking for goalies. For once we're in a buyer's market.

Luongo or Schneider. Mike Smith. Halak or Elliott. Emery. Theodore. Hiller.

Or take a chance on a younger guy like Khudobin?

No need to give up picks and players, we should be able to get a goalie UFA or for minor return.

Flyers did contact Khudobin's agent. Allegedly, he is number 2 on their wish list. Offer is in the neighborhood of 2 years at 2 mill per. Can't provide the source.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Why choose mediocrity?

cause thats what we do. we think were makin all these crazy maneuvers to make us better but every freakin decision is detrimental, emphasis on the mental. I'm just glad we didn't trade any of our young guys for some tard. I'm sick of chasin. let this unfold a little. every cup team fails for a while before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad