Who will be the first coach to get fired?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
The players love him, and Snow is loyal to his coaches. It's the one thing I truly hate about Snow... He brought in Capuano and Brent Thompson for the AHL for "the long haul" to get "consistency in the system"

That's interesting to know, because I've been wondering for a couple seasons now how he's made it this long.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I'm going to say Bill Peters just because Carolina coaches seem to have a shelf life of ~3-4 seasons. Right before the Xmas break.

SpookyHockey

Feb 11, 2010
Dark horse: Gerard Gallant. If the Panthers start slow with some of their key injuries, it may just be enough for management to attempt to convince fans that they needed a change and get someone they like and choose behind the bench.

I'm not saying this is likely or that I would bet money on it, but this is my off-the-board pick given some of the Panthers' off-ice moves this summer.

jford

Apr 21, 2015
I'll go with Capuano, because the Isles actually have expectations.

Unfortunately for Columbus, Tortorella probably will survive for a while.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
That's interesting to know, because I've been wondering for a couple seasons now how he's made it this long.

Snow is enamored with Lou Lamoriello. He wants to institute a system like the Devils had, where they could bring a kid up (due to performance, injury, reward, whatever) and they would immediately be able to slot in and fill a role without missing a beat.

I understand the value of this, but I think it's safe to say Capuano isn't the right man for the job.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
My guesses are Capuano and Torts.. Don't think Carlyle will be fired considering they just hired him though I can't see Anaheim doing much of anything with him behind the bench

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Please Capuano. Please please please Capuano. I'm tired of this team being held back by average-at-best coaching.

Just replace him with someone who actually has a track record of winning in the NHL and not Doug Weight or Brett Thompson or Thomas Greiss.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Capuano on 11/6,/2016, the day after he loses game 12 of the season in an embarrassing blowout to Edmonton to drop the team's record 3-8-1.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Please Capuano. Please please please Capuano. I'm tired of this team being held back by average-at-best coaching.

Just replace him with someone who actually has a track record of winning in the NHL and not Doug Weight or Brett Thompson or Thomas Greiss.

I would be ok with making Cronin the interim coach for the remainder of the season, since the real legit options are available in the off-season. Plus Cronin's done an incredible job turning the PK from a joke into the best thing about the team arguably, so maybe he can fix the whole team.

I fear for my life that they'll make Weight the interim if they do fire Cappy though, and I'd honestly rather have Cappy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I almost wanna say Sutter has a good chance of being fired, but who knows? I think some of the Kings fans made good points, that they have too much respect to fire him and they'd let him ''Retire'' before firing him out of respect. I think if they did fire him, it would probably be after this year. I may have totally misinterpreted a lengthy interview with Dean before Sutter was re-signed and brought back, but it almost sounded like he was fine with Sutter walking and hiring a new head coach. And the entire time, I thought Sutter wanted to walk and be last summer's version of Babcock and go wherever someone would pay him. But it turns out, he really wanted to stay and Deano gave him a deal not more than a week after that interview that I had read. Maybe I just took it the wrong way or Deano was spewing some misinformation to make you think he was okay with parting ways.

All in all, I have a feeling the Kings might be in trouble this year, even before Quick's injury. I've been skeptical about their ability to score goals the entire time. I think with Quick in there these last couple games, they most likely don't get blown out unless Quick is having a bad night. He's had them before, every goalie has and does, but Zatkoff was horrendous.

if Bob didn't just hire him I'd say Randy Carlyle is off to a good start. Who knows though...

If the Ducks are still floundering come game 40, Bob might fire him to save his job.

I firmly believe that if Carlyle is fired, Bob is going with him. Bob really made his bed with this re-hiring of Carlyle. It almost screams a ''I wanna see if you have the balls to fire me'' type move, or even a ''You thought Boudreau was bad? You want him gone? We're gonna re-hire the guy that he replaced here! That's right! Carlyle is coming back folks! And you're gonna love it!'' type move. Not sure what he was thinking with that move. I thought Murray might have been canned with Boudreau last spring, but he was kept on.

I think the Ducks have enough talent to still make the playoffs and straighten out the ship, in spite of Carlyle being their head coach. Carlyle has coached a team to a Stanley Cup win before, not that I give him barely any credit at all. I just think that it means if he has a talented enough team, they can win in spite of his brutal coaching.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Maurice doesn't use Laine properly, he'll be fired.

As for Columbus, their GM deserves to be fired first.
That Finnish is an utterly idiot.

*Hi fives*

You're alright, even though you're a Leafs fan!;)

I like the guinea pig in your avatar too!:D

I completely agree on the Columbus GM though. Jarmo is the one who hired Torts in the first place, then Torts ran their best young forward out of town. I'm not even sure if Richards should have been fired in the first place. Bobrovsky couldn't stop a beach ball for the first month of last season. I'm pretty neutral on him, not sure if he was a good head coach or not. Torts hire was questionable at best. They should have let him just stay washed out after the Vancouver disaster.

I think their GM is joke, not sure JD is much better. One good thing you can say about Jarmo is that he's not the worst GM in the history of that young franchise, they did have Doug MacLean for 7 years there.:laugh:

I remember when Howson was fired, the meme was that ''Columbus actually has people in there that know what they're doing'' and I'm not sure what Jarmo proved in the NHL to know what he was doing. An assistant GM in the NHL and years as a GM over in Finland?:dunno:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Gulutzan in Calgary. He's got than Dallas Eakins blank stare look of confusion on his face already. Maybe they give him until Christmas time, maybe.

0% chance he's fired.

He's done good so far. Questionable defensive pairings to start but he fixed it the second game. Fully commend him for playing Kulak over Wideman. That's a ballsy move.

Can't blame his system on bad penalties, bad defense (breakaways mostly), and bad goaltending. Our bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing(Kulak and Engellend) are the best they've been in years, like a lot of years.

Our first line is the next biggest problem but again, you can't put that on him. He's only had a week to work with them. Versteeg isn't working out and it looks like Ferland or Chiasson will get a chance with Johnny. Correct coaching change again imo.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
From most likely to least likely :

1- Willie Desjardins
2- John Tortorella
3- Jack Capuano
4- Claude Julien
5- Paul Maurice
6- Alain Vigneault
7- Todd McLellan
8- Michel Therrien
9- Bill Peters
10- Dave Tippett
11- Jeff Blashill
12- Glen Gulutzan
13- Jon Cooper
14- Dan Byslma
15- Randy Carlyle
16- Dave Hakstol
17- John Hynes
18- Gerard Gallant
19- Lindy Ruff
20- Peter Laviolette
21- Jared Bednar
22- Bruce Boudreau
23- Darryl Sutter
24- Guy Boucher
25- Barry Trotz
26- Peter DeBoer
27- John Quenneville
28- Mike Babcock
29- Mike Sullivan
30- Ken Hitchcock

tokyoite

I changed my name from "nipponjin" last summer.
Feb 22, 2015
Tokyo metropolitan area JPN
*Hi fives*

You're alright, even though you're a Leafs fan!;)

I like the guinea pig in your avatar too!:D

I completely agree on the Columbus GM though. Jarmo is the one who hired Torts in the first place, then Torts ran their best young forward out of town. I'm not even sure if Richards should have been fired in the first place. Bobrovsky couldn't stop a beach ball for the first month of last season. I'm pretty neutral on him, not sure if he was a good head coach or not. Torts hire was questionable at best. They should have let him just stay washed out after the Vancouver disaster.

I think their GM is joke, not sure JD is much better. One good thing you can say about Jarmo is that he's not the worst GM in the history of that young franchise, they did have Doug MacLean for 7 years there.:laugh:

I remember when Howson was fired, the meme was that ''Columbus actually has people in there that know what they're doing'' and I'm not sure what Jarmo proved in the NHL to know what he was doing. An assistant GM in the NHL and years as a GM over in Finland?:dunno:

It's a hamster, not guinea pig. LOL

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's a hamster, not guinea pig. LOL

Unfortunately, this is just one more confirmation that my eyes are starting to decline. :cry:

That and maybe the fact that I haven't actually seen a guinea pig since my ex girlfriend moved out almost 3 years ago.

After looking at it on a tablet and not an iPhone, I can now see that. :laugh:

Noldo

May 28, 2007
I think that anyone guessing Torts is mistaken as he is not Kekäläinen's to fire, giving him longer leash than he deserves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad