Speculation: Who will be the Canes next coach?

Who will be the Canes next coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Dundon gave an interview this evening at 99.9 The Fan and he praised Brind’Amour. He was kind of goaded into it by Adam, but Tom said something like “We’d be lucky to keep him” with enthusiasm in his voice. I guess he kinda said the same thing about Bill but be warned.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If Washington says goodbye to Trotz then I could see him here.

Unfortunately, I have a really bad feeling one of two things will happen here:
1. Dundon hires a coach before a GM (assuming this Paul guy he hired yesterday as VP or whatever isn't going to be the GM). I'm going to give Tom the benefit of the doubt here and assume he isn't this stupid, but who the hell knows.

2. Brind'Amour is the new HC. Love the guy and all he did here as a player but I don't want him as our HC, or even the coach in Charlotte for that matter. This is going to end up similar to Roy in Colorado, actually worse because Colorado had players that could score goals. That and Brindys PP coaching didn't do much of anything to suggest to me that he's ready to be the bench boss of an NHL team.

My preference would be someone like Tippett, Ruff, Trotz, etc. Guys who have NHL coaching experience, sustained success in some form (such as deep playoff runs and/or playoff team every year), and (as far as I know anyway) a coach that players like and play hard for. What I'm not sure of with these three and others like them are their experience with younger players, which we have plenty of. But if they've been in the league long enough surely they know how to work that out, right? :dunno:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If Washington says goodbye to Trotz then I could see him here.

Unfortunately, I have a really bad feeling one of two things will happen here:
1. Dundon hires a coach before a GM (assuming this Paul guy he hired yesterday as VP or whatever isn't going to be the GM). I'm going to give Tom the benefit of the doubt here and assume he isn't this stupid, but who the hell knows.

2. Brind'Amour is the new HC. Love the guy and all he did here as a player but I don't want him as our HC, or even the coach in Charlotte for that matter. This is going to end up similar to Roy in Colorado, actually worse because Colorado had players that could score goals. That and Brindys PP coaching didn't do much of anything to suggest to me that he's ready to be the bench boss of an NHL team.

My preference would be someone like Tippett, Ruff, Trotz, etc. Guys who have NHL coaching experience, sustained success in some form (such as deep playoff runs and/or playoff team every year), and (as far as I know anyway) a coach that players like and play hard for. What I'm not sure of with these three and others like them are their experience with younger players, which we have plenty of. But if they've been in the league long enough surely they know how to work that out, right? :dunno:

I'd be ok with Tippett or Trotz, not so sure about AV or Ruff. I'd be really upset with Rod, as much as I like him, he seems like the ron choice and waaaaay to close to what was going wrong. I'd be ok with Vellucci, but I'd prefer we look at some other AHL head coach or NCAA head coach as well before giving him the job.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I think we should go with Sutter. Has won. Has win 2 Stanley cups and is available. This coaching situation is sounding a lot like our goalie situation. I say we go with a proven coach this time around. As we should with our goal tending next season.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think we should go with Sutter. Has won. Has win 2 Stanley cups and is available. This coaching situation is sounding a lot like our goalie situation. I say we go with a proven coach this time around. As we should with our goal tending next season.
There is no way Save-a-Few-Bucks Dundon will pony up the cost to bring Sutter here.

No. Way.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Kai Suikkanen came to Italian HC Bolzano in November when they were last in the league. Yesterday in the play-offs they were crowned as the victors of EBEL-league over money club Red Bull Salzburg in game seven. The Austrians were aghast.

Two of the internationally most successful Finnish head coaches, Raimo Summanen and Erkka Westerlund, are also available with silver and bronze medals in the World Cup and Olympics linked to their name.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Brind'Amour or Vellucci, leaning towards Brind'Amour with Vellucci being GM because **** everything.

images

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

If so, why didn't some of that shit rub off on some Canes players the last 4 years?

I agree with Brindy being a great player. I also think moving him into the big office is in the tweak category and this team needs more than a tweak. He has had ZERO experience in that position. He could end up being the greatest coach of all time, and he could end up being a bust. I'd much rather have a guy with previous NHL head coaching experience. Yeah, that means he has been fired somewhere, but all coaches get fired. This includes Brindy one day, and imagine the uncomfortable feeling that will bring.

PS. I voted Velluci because the poll was who I thought, not who I wanted

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I voted Brindamour.

If we make Brindamour the HC and Velluci the GM, Dundon will have saved a bunch of money by not hiring from the outside.

So I think it’s the most likely thing to happen.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I voted Brindy because those rumors are just too strong to ignore. The reason I wouldn't hate the move is that, of all the candidates he's got the biggest "I've got something to prove" cloud over his head. That can be a hell of a chip on one's shoulder.

Are there actual rumors? McKenzie throwing out the most well known Canes Assistant Coach name and Adam Gold being a superfan with a suggestion aren’t really substantial.

I voted Brindamour.

If we make Brindamour the HC and Velluci the GM, Dundon will have saved a bunch of money by not hiring from the outside.

So I think it’s the most likely thing to happen.

As a counterpoint Dundon just hired an Exec to do a job that was already covered by Olzcyk. You know, the polar opposite of cutting costs.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah the Dundon is melnyk 2.0 narrative is way overblown. The GM pay thing can be explained by how he views the role within his larger structure. And there's nothing else to suggest he's cheap.
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that he's spreading a few salaries over a larger group of resources. In the end, the front office payroll may actually go up.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
“I think the attraction to me is you can really put your plan in place and decide how to pull all the strings. You decide the ice time. You decide who’s playing or not, and in certain situations. That’s the allure of it. …”

Brindy on being the head coach.

I like to believe that he stood on the bench and muttered “is that Ryan out there AGAIN?!” all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad