Speculation: Who will be the Canes next coach?

Who will be the Canes next coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Brindy has zero experience as a head coach. None. Do we think he actually has a system? Where has he tried that system out? We don’t need experiments. There’s nothing wrong with him going to Charlotte first.

I know Peters was an x’s and o’s guy and we didn’t like him but let’s not get carried away in the other direction. There’s a lot that goes on with this job, and no one should just be given an NHL team without a little practice first.

This would be such a JR move, I’m really surprised anyone would be ok with it. There’s no reason to give him the team other than, “it’s Brindy, we love that guy”. He has no track record. Nothing to show he deserves it. Charlotte makes sense, keeps him here while finding out if he has any idea what he’s doing.
Seriously, it's kind of crazy how hard it is for some people to grasp the idea that experience matters. If I'm looking at someone's resume and it's blank except for saying "great motivator" and "dedicated," do I say, "Well he's got these great soft skills and I don't know that can't do the job..." No, I laugh and throw it in the shredder. If brindy wanted to be a head coach he should have gone down to get experience at a lower level instead of sitting cozy as an assistant for seven years.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's not like Brindamour is some rando off the street that they want to make head coach. He's been the assistant coach for however long it's been.

You can't honestly tell me there's some massive gap in experience between an NHL assistant coach and an AHL head coach. Odds are, they're both exposed to the same general situations and both would have an idea of how to handle them if they were made NHL head coach.

As was already stated, it's not like promoting an assistant coach to head coach is unheard of. In fact, I'm fairly certain that's done quite a bit. Wasn't Peters an assistant coach for Detroit? Muller as well?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's not like Brindamour is some rando off the street that they want to make head coach. He's been the assistant coach for however long it's been.

You can't honestly tell me there's some massive gap in experience between an NHL assistant coach and an AHL head coach. Odds are, they're both exposed to the same general situations and both would have an idea of how to handle them if they were made NHL head coach.

As was already stated, it's not like promoting an assistant coach to head coach is unheard of. In fact, I'm fairly certain that's done quite a bit. Wasn't Peters an assistant coach for Detroit? Muller as well?
They were both coaches in the AHL I believe, so maybe not the best examples of this. But there are guys that have only been assistant coaches and became NHL head coaches. If he was coming straight out of playing and had no experience whatsoever, I'd get it. But that's not the case.

Also, it's interesting that hockey is so different. I don't advocate this for hockey, but there are NBA and MLB coaches that have been hired with zero coaching experience, and in the NFL, I have to think most coaches aren't head coaches, but coordinators and such before being promoted.

Seems like another thing that's ingrained in people as to how they think it has to be in hockey. Though, again, it's happened before. There are coaches in the league right now that were only assistants if I'm not mistaken.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Peters had a ton of head coaching experience previously. That’s the reason he has such a good reputation. I forget what Muller did, but he may have only done assistant positions.

There’s a huge responsibility gap between assistant and head guy. Who ever blames the assistants when things go wrong? Dealing with the media. I think its a pretty huge jump no matter how long you watched someone else do it. Understanding different systems and which work in what situations because you’ve tried them all.

The toughest part of watching the Canes presentation used to be Tripp, to me it’s become brindy’s bench interviews. He’s a spaz, with nothing more to say seemingly than “we gotta get the puck deep” and “we gotta watch those turnovers”.

I love the guy. I think it’s setting him up to fail by stepping him up at this point.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country

Those two examples worked so well

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Bill Peters was a Head Coach in the Canadian U and Canadian Junior leagues from 2002-2011. His Spokane team won a Memorial Cup.

Kirk Muller does have a year of lower head coaching experience prior but more-so he would be a direct comparable to Rod. He was a fan favorite and Cup winner in his playing time at Montreal. He parlayed that into an Assistant Coaching job that eventually led to the Canes hiring as a Head Coach. That’s just one example but I think we all know how that turned out.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Didn't the Islanders just take their assistant coach and promote him to head coach?

What about taking an NCAA/WHL head coach and making him your head coach? Better or worse than having an assistant promoted?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s not the concept of promoting the assistant, of course that’s not unusual. It’s how much experience that guy has before he became assistant. A lot of these guy work themselves up from juniors for years just to get a shot. Guys like Muller and Brindy can start at higher levels because they get respect from the players, and they get some credit going in for being character players.

Guys like Peters worked themselves up from literally nothing. Peters never played a very high level. Bob Hartley worked in a car factory or something before he started. They were coaches, not great players. They studied and learned the game inside out. Of course there are examples of guys skipping all that, but generally you’re gonna get a better result from someone who’s been the man at different levels.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's tough to compare those situations. Those guys that spend forever in low junior, minors, NCAA, etc, are guys that were likely done playing early because they sucked or were injured. A guy like Brindy was still playing at the age when those guys were coaching in those levels. I think there should be a little bit to say for a guy that played the game as long as Brindy did, probably under a number of coaches, and has seen a lot of different systems and coaching philosophies. It's just a different kind of experience. But then he also got some NHL assistant coaching experience on top of that. I'm not sure why one type of experience is so guaranteed to be better than another. There are damn sure plenty of guys that have gone the path that you are recommending that sucked as NHL head coaches. Peters worked his way up and has a good reputation and we have zip to show for it.

And the in game interviews, that's such a silly point to bring up in this conversation to me, even as a small point.

I don't want him as coach, but I think the reasoning a lot of people are using is bad.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC

I believe there is a big difference. It's true a lot of assistants get hc jobs but usually those guys have also been an ahl or junior hc. Someone who's never been a hc has never gone through the process of coming up with a system, trying to implement it, testing what works and what doesn't. They've never had to make in game decisions and deal with the consequences. They've never had to manage a group of coaches under them.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I believe there is a big difference. It's true a lot of assistants get hc jobs but usually those guys have also been an ahl or junior hc. Someone who's never been a hc has never gone through the process of coming up with a system, trying to implement it, testing what works and what doesn't. They've never had to make in game decisions and deal with the consequences. They've never had to manage a group of coaches under them.

Do you believe an assistant coach just sits on the bench and twiddles his thumbs during the game? Because if you don’t think he hasn’t made in-game decisions or attempted to implement a system (especially considering he was in charge of running the PP), I don’t know what to tell you.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
In the ahl brindy can develop his own system, see what works with which players, how to adjust to in game situations and matchups, etc etc

Even if he just uses Peters' system (and I'll assume that's the plan), I'm sure he'll want to experinent with his own opinions about stickpuck, little differences from Peters. Do the canes really want a guy who needs to work out the kinks? Or a guy who can confidently detail and diagram every nuance of his system off the top if his head, and explicate in detail why his is the bestest evah?

if a coach himself isn't sure, certain, willing to stake everything and his mother that what he's preaching will lead to success, then how the heck can he convince 23 guys to play that way? that's part of why peters still had a bunch of guys playing hard after 4 years of mediocrity while muller burned after, what, 2?

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Honestly, I'm becoming more okay with the idea of Brind'Amour. He was a quasi coach during his time as captain, and used to coach his linemates on the bench, setting up plays and giving pointers every shift. The fact that he's not capable of communicating how he's doing that smoothly when giving an interview on the bench doesn't mean he can't do it as a coach.

I don't know if he's the guy I'd pick, given where the team is right now. I think there are a lot of really great points being made in this thread on all sides, and I think that we, on the outside, know very little about what actually goes on on the bench and in the coach's office. The people who do are the trainers, the other coaching staff, and the players. All of those people are highly skilled professionals in their own right, we're not talking about a youth hockey team here. The players are not passive actors in this, many are just as smart and savvy as any coach. The people making the decision, including Tom Dundon, have talked with those people extensively. If the consensus among the people in the position to know best is that Brind'Amour will do a good job, I'm open to it. I do think you need to be damn sure he can make the leap, though.

Or maybe we just go old time hockey and make Justin Williams a player-coach. Saves a couple bucks, too.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Hiring Brindy would be the most Canes thing ever. It'll be like Karmanos and Rutherford never even left.

I'll be window shopping for a new team if not quitting watching hockey altogether if we hire him. Yeah, no one cares as I'm just one guy, and it might even get some of the casuals back to the rink since 2006 CAPTAIN BRINDY IS COACH NOW!! The fact that some people would be ok with it and are coming up with justifications for it show that pro sports Stockholm syndrome is a real thing.

I'm sure there are even more Brindy for coach enthusiasts now.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Or maybe you're just overreacting to something that hasn't even happened, and really wouldn't be outlandish if it did.

Me personally, I'm defending the concept, and the fact that someone complaining like you about even the thought of it has no idea what kind of a head coach he'll be, or how good he'll be. I still don't want him as the coach, but I wouldn't jump ship over something like that.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Any coach we hire will have to work out the kinks. Unless you expect a new coach to immediately gel with his players and the players to gel with a new system.

That's not what i meant.

Tippett can say, "I run x system, tested at multiple levels, but I'm willing to make Y tweaks for this group of players"

Brindy is still at the x stage, trying to figure out, from an epistemological viewpoint, what method he thinks will win hockey games and translating that into concrete experiences.

What is so wrong with sending Rod to the ahl to figure that out?

Put another way: at an interview for a hc position, tippet or brind'amour is asked, okay, what kind of hockey is tippet/rba hockey? And they'll go into long explications of what they envision, with charts and video examples and whatever. Then the obvious followup: why are you so confident that this will work? I know what Peters will say, what he said when asked that at his first interview 5 years ago: I've spent decades refining it with whl and ahl players. i know what tippet will say. but what is brindy gonna say? "gee, well, bill did make a persuasive argument"??

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If you're so confident in that being the case, clearly they are going to interview several candidates, so Brindy will almost certainly lose out. Or maybe, he'll have something to say about all the years he played in the league, all the coaches he played for, all the systems he played under, why he conceptually thinks that his system (whatever it may be) will work where the game is at today, how he can improve on some of the many weaknesses we saw from the amazingly refined Bill Peters coaching system and his in game coaching, his many years as an assistant at this point, etc. Or maybe he won't. We have no clue.

If he isn't able to confidently get that point across, then he probably won't get the job, and we have nothing to worry about.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Why did the majority vote for Vellucci? Isn't he an unproven NHL HC? I get that he knows the prospects but why?

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I don't know why Brindy would even be in the conversation, and I love the guy. This team needs a guy that has proven he has the ability to coach at the NHL level. This organization has wallowed in mediocrity for too long, and taking another "shot" on an unproven head coach is franchise suicide. I'm not that interested in Bylsma, who had success with Crosby and Malkin and not anywhere else. However, there are other options on the list just on this poll.

Tippet - 1114 NHL games as HC. 8 playoff seasons and 6 missed.
Sutter - 1285 NHL games as HC. 14 playoff seasons and 3 missed. 2 time Stanley Cup Champion.
Vigneualt - 1216 NHL games as HC. 12 playoff seasons and 5 missed.
Ruff - 1493 NHL games as HC. 10 playoff seasons and 9 missed.

Why in the world wouldn't any one of these guys be a better choice than Brindy or Vellucci? What more could be done to stabilize the organization than getting a guy that has done it before?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->