Who was your last "guilty pleasure" Habs player ?

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Souray until he got Spezza'ed. Mean, no code, well respected everywhere, not a dick, decent defensively until that fateful day. sniff

He represented well for a time. Little did we know he was doing us a favour by "letting" Bob sign Markov first, then, cya.

HaHA - POST 420!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Gotta be Andrei Kostitsyn for me. Really thought he'd be a PPG winger after 07-08, and was definitely apolegic of his performances up until 09-10.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
By "guilty pleasure" I mean a player that wasnt a stud like Damphousse,Roy or Koivu that give u high hope of greatness or underrated effective play.
(...)

Who is yours ?

Bégin and Ryan White, although the latter had his share of mental mistakes.

Both wore their hearts on their sleeves and left everything they had on the ice.

Capitaine Subban*

Bégin and Ryan White, although the latter had his share of mental mistakes.

Both wore their hearts on their sleeves and left everything they had on the ice.

I kind of like both of them too.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
As I was thinking about my response I realized I have a thing for tall gangly defence men — probably because I used to be one. Hal Gill and Peter Popovic both popped into my mind. Neither were skilled, neither were all that mean, but they were both tall and were solid contributors for a brief period. Popovic gets bonus points for his great name, and Gill for his incredible penalty killing.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
As I was thinking about my response I realized I have a thing for tall gangly defence men — probably because I used to be one. Hal Gill and Peter Popovic both popped into my mind. Neither were skilled, neither were all that mean, but they were both tall and were solid contributors for a brief period. Popovic gets bonus points for his great name, and Gill for his incredible penalty killing.

I loved that semi squatting, troika thing that Gill did to prevent low shots. Queer looking, but very effective, especially 5 on 3.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If I dig deep in my memories: Mike Mcphee!

When the Habs won the Cup in 1993, I felt a little bummed for Mike McPhee.

They had traded him the previous summer for a 5th rounder and, strangely, were playing lesser players in his place.

Ed Ronan was essentially a useless player and he was playing that post-season while Mike had been dumped to the North Stars. Didn't seem right. McPhee got a ring in '86 though, but he should have been part of the veteran core of that '93 squad as well.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
When the Habs won the Cup in 1993, I felt a little bummed for Mike McPhee.

They had traded him the previous summer for a 5th rounder and, strangely, were playing lesser players in his place.

Ed Ronan was essentially a useless player and he was playing that post-season while Mike had been dumped to the North Stars. Didn't seem right. McPhee got a ring in '86 though, but he should have been part of the veteran core of that '93 squad as well.

Same with Skrudland, who was quite effective for Florida in 96.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
2143842753_small_1.jpg

I still fall asleep cheering for him

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I don't know how people can cheer for Robert Lang. Hegor here after we were drooling at the idea of having Sundin in Montreal but the idiot chose Vancouver, even after we had traded for his rights at the draft, so we traded for Lang.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I don't know how people can cheer for Robert Lang. Hegor here after we were drooling at the idea of having Sundin in Montreal but the idiot chose Vancouver, even after we had traded for his rights at the draft, so we traded for Lang.

What does any of that have to do with not being able to cheer for Lang...?

He put up 39 points in 50 games which doesn't sound like much but over a full season would have tied him for the team lead with Kovalev and Markov. He was a beauty, our season went off the rails when he (and a bunch of others...Tanguay and Latendresse I think) got hurt.

Also we never actually traded for Sundin's rights. We were granted permission to speak to his agent. Just a small clarification.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Robert Lang had such a high hockey IQ. It's why he could be slower than a rewind button and still put up 39 points in 50 games.

What a weird year that was. All I remember when it came to Alex Tanguay is I could never see him on the ice unless a goal was scored. He had 41 points in 50 games.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Robert Lang had such a high hockey IQ. It's why he could be slower than a rewind button and still put up 39 points in 50 games.

What a weird year that was. All I remember when it came to Alex Tanguay is I could never see him on the ice unless a goal was scored. He had 41 points in 50 games.

I really think that team could have done some damage if we weren't riddled with injuries. We had a great first half and fell apart at the midpoint. Limping into the playoffs and just knowing we were going to get crushed by Boston was tough for a year that started with so much promise.

Tanguay had an insane goal against the Thrashers I think where he deked out almost the entire team.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What does any of that have to do with not being able to cheer for Lang...?

He put up 39 points in 50 games which doesn't sound like much but over a full season would have tied him for the team lead with Kovalev and Markov. He was a beauty, our season went off the rails when he (and a bunch of others...Tanguay and Latendresse I think) got hurt.

Also we never actually traded for Sundin's rights. We were granted permission to speak to his agent. Just a small clarification.

All in the same game, no? The barbershop horror.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
By "guilty pleasure" I mean a player that wasnt a stud like Damphousse,Roy or Koivu that give u high hope of greatness or underrated effective play.

Mine is Valeri Bure because he was a Bure, he torched the WHL even if he wasnt a first rounder. He was a skill forward in the middle of many scrubs in our dark era but didnt manage to produce enough to stay sadly :(.

Who is yours ?

There have been quite a few over the years for this Hab fan three that really stood out were Claude Provost(RW), John Ferguson(LW) & Chris Nilan(RW), that's openers. For more gems like these just ask and you will receive!:nod::laugh::handclap: The latest is Tomas Plekanec, truly an underappreciated player for the way he plays heart & soul Hab through & through!!!...

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows

All I remember from that season was Kovalev ( My only man crush lol ) and Robert Lang until those cursed jerseys got him. The thing I most remember about lang was when he scored a goal in ot it got disallowed and then he score again right after lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad