Who was the most undeserving Conn Smythe winner in the last 10 years?

Who was the most undeserving Conn Smythe winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I doubt either Crosby (2016) or Ovechkin (2018) win the Conn Smythe if they were rookies named Smith. They were given the trophies for who they were, not what they did (though of course they were hugely important to their teams regardless). I think Kuznetsov separated himself further than Kessel and friends did so I went with Ovechkin.

Reactions: Gurglesons and Crow

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby with two of the bottom 3 spots on this list is quite telling.

Of what? Bias against Crosby?

In 2017, Crosby garnered 11 first place votes out of 15 (Malkin 3) in 2017. OV garnered 13 first place votes out of 18 (Kuzy 5), O'Reilly garnered 13 out 18 (Binnington 5), and Hedman garnered 9 out 18 (Point 8).

Hedman's win should easily be up there over Crosby 2017. Kane in 2013 would likely show a similar result to Hedman if we knew what the voting was.

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Toews was the leading scorer on the Blackhawks and was the leading scorer in 3 out of the 4 rounds.

The highest scoring forward on the winning team had won the Conn Smythe the previous two years as well. The leading scorer winning again was hardly shocking.

Furthermore, one Swedish and one Russian. The next three winners were American. The Canadian bias argument is hilariously dumb.

If any player had a shot at a 'narrative' bump in the Finals, it was probably Byfuglien, as the whole storyline of him vs Pronger was pretty much the media spotlight of that series.

Eh, Toews had a bunch of assists sure but was lacking in goals which we all know are worth quite a bit more when it comes to awards.

He had that big series against Vancouver, was fine against San Jose ( but that was just a beatdown sweep) then disappeared in the biggest series against the Flyers.

While Kane was pretty consistent throughout the entire playoffs and was the guy in the clutch multiple times saving the season with the short handed goal against Nashville in game 5 and then of course 3 points and OT cup winning goal in game 6 against the Flyers.

Had the voting for the award actually taken place after the series was over you have to think Kane wins

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Eh, Toews had a bunch of assists sure but was lacking in goals which we all know are worth quite a bit more when it comes to awards.

He had that big series against Vancouver, was fine against San Jose ( but that was just a beatdown sweep) then disappeared in the biggest series against the Flyers.

While Kane was pretty consistent throughout the entire playoffs and was the guy in the clutch multiple times saving the season with the short handed goal against Nashville in game 5 and then of course 3 points and OT cup winning goal in game 6 against the Flyers.

Had the voting for the award actually taken place after the series was over you have to think Kane wins

Recency bias would have helped Kane though, given he scored THE goal.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Was still the best player in the playoffs. Im pretty sure they forgave his suspensions given what he did for that team.

Pahlsson was a key piece no doubt, but we just about never see a 3rd line shutdown centre win the Conn SMythe. That whole line (Niedermayer-Pahlsson-Moen) was great too, not just Pahlsson.

Butch Goring wasn’t really a shut down center but he also didn’t deserve the Conn Smythe any more than Pahlsson, who was a key pice no doubt.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Of what? Bias against Crosby?

In 2017, Crosby garnered 11 first place votes out of 15 (Malkin 3) in 2017. OV garnered 13 first place votes out of 18 (Kuzy 5), O'Reilly garnered 13 out 18 (Binnington 5), and Hedman garnered 9 out 18 (Point 8).

Hedman's win should easily be up there over Crosby 2017. Kane in 2013 would likely show a similar result to Hedman if we knew what the voting was.

just curious if you message me the voting results you have or post them here, would be very interesting to compare year to year.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I doubt either Crosby (2016) or Ovechkin (2018) win the Conn Smythe if they were rookies named Smith. They were given the trophies for who they were, not what they did (though of course they were hugely important to their teams regardless). I think Kuznetsov separated himself further than Kessel and friends did so I went with Ovechkin.

I can agree with this. I think it is important you feel the way about both though. You can't say Kessel deserved the 2016 Smythe and then act like Ovechkin's Smythe was 100% deserved in 2018.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Kessel got robbed in 2016.

I also believe Crawford was easily the most deserving player in 2013, not Kane.
He had a .932 sv % and 1.84GAA and was in net for all 16 wins

Reactions: um

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I disagee with this. Bias aside, its not like Ovi was 5 points behind Kuzy and had less goals and won. He led the playoffs in goal scoring. Goals, especially in the playoffs will always be more valuable. My opinion here on crosby will be that Im a caps fan and so........ but when he won it the first year its not like he was totally undeserving but it also had the feel of "this might be our last chance to give him a smythe or nevermind the other candidates, its crosby the captain". He didnt even break 20 pts, only had 6 goals and was a minus player. Not sure who should have won (Couture if given to the loser) but Crosby got it for his name. Ovis was earned

Reactions: Zuluss

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I disagee with this. Bias aside, its not like Ovi was 5 points behind Kuzy and had less goals and won. He led the playoffs in goal scoring. Goals, especially in the playoffs will always be more valuable. My opinion here on crosby will be that Im a caps fan and so........ but when he won it the first year its not like he was totally undeserving but it also had the feel of "this might be our last chance to give him a smythe or nevermind the other candidates, its crosby the captain". He didnt even break 20 pts, only had 6 goals and was a minus player. Not sure who should have won (Couture if given to the loser) but Crosby got it for his name. Ovis was earned

Crosby was the best forward for PIT in the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals. It was earned as well.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Crosby was the best forward for PIT in the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals. It was earned as well.
0 goals and 4 assists (1 empty netter) and (1 secondary on an OT winner) (tied for 2nd with 2 others in points and even plus minus) in the finals
3 goals and 2 assists (tied for 4th with 2 others in points and was a minus player) Conference finals

edit* left out that all 3 goals in the Con Finals were GWs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
0 goals and 4 assists (1 empty netter) and (1 secondary on an OT winner) (tied for 2nd with 2 others in points and even plus minus) in the finals
3 goals and 2 assists (tied for 4th with 2 others in points and was a minus player) Conference finals

edit* left out that all 3 goals in the Con Finals were GWs

I suggest rewatching the Stanley Cup Finals.

Crosby led that team. Kessel did not. There is an argument for Letang, but his series against Tampa was just as bad as Sid’s against Was.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'd honestly love to know who the people that voted Keith in 2015 thought deserved the Conn Smythe over him.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I was looking at the lightning team in 04. Kind of surprised Richards won the Smythe tbh... Khabibulin was a beast in those playoffs. 0.933sv 1.71 gaa

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I was looking at the lightning team in 04. Kind of surprised Richards won the Smythe tbh... Khabibulin was a beast in those playoffs. 0.933sv 1.71 gaa

Richards seemed like the obvious choice at the time. Khabibulin was good too, but Richards won it because:

1) He had an all-time record 7 GWG's in the playoffs (that stat can be misleading, but in this particular case, Richards scored some big goals)

2) He was excellent in the SC Finals (nine points which easily led both teams - Khabibulin was good but outplayed by Kiprusoff)

3) Maybe a minor point but Khabibulin was clearly not as good as Giguere (who won the year before)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Richards seemed like the obvious choice at the time. Khabibulin was good too, but Richards won it because:

1) He had an all-time record 7 GWG's in the playoffs (that stat can be misleading, but in this particular case, Richards scored some big goals)

2) He was excellent in the SC Finals (nine points which easily led both teams - Khabibulin was good but outplayed by Kiprusoff)

3) Maybe a minor point but Khabibulin was clearly not as good as Giguere (who won the year before)

Didn't know about the GWG stat, just saw that he was tied with Fedotenko at 12 goals. Khabi had a couple of bad games in the SCF below 0.900, one at 0.917 and the remaining 4 games above 0.939. That seems pretty insane.

I guess I could see voter fatigue based on the year before, I just find it odd since he is near the same number of points as MSL and the same number of goals as another team mate. Other than the GWG I don't see how he differentiated himself that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad