Who was the most undeserving Conn Smythe winner in the last 10 years?

Who was the most undeserving Conn Smythe winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hate to say it because he's up there with my favorite players ever but Justin Williams stole it from either Doughty or Kopitar in 2014 merely because of the narrative.

While Doughty and Kopitar were hardmatched vs. a murderers row of Thornton, Getzlaf, and then a Hossa-Toews duo, Williams did most of his damage on the PP and 3rd line. Of course he was absolutely clutch on a team full of clutch-ness, but if that was the only scale, you could put Gaborik on it as well for GTG and OT goals (or Alec Martinez for scoring the WCF and SCF winning OT goals). Meanwhile, Kopitar was scoring at the Malkin Conn Smythe pace thru the first two rounds ending PPG to lead the playoffs and Doughty was continuing a dominant 2014 by shutting everything down while leading all D in scoring and playing half the game in all situations.

Honestly I'm still bitter about that one because you can easily see what it does to Doughty's legacy on these boards.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have to go with Williams as I can't even begin to consider an argument that he was the most valuable player in the playoffs that year. Looking at that list though I'd have gone with someone else at least 6 times in the last decade. The Conn Smythe often seems way too influenced by narratives.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Voted for Kane 2013. The reason being there's no justification for giving it to kane over crawford. he was below a p/gp player (19pts in 23 games). for a offensive only player who barely does anything on the defensive end, that is not enough.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
ECF -

G2 - OT Winner
G3 - GWG
G6 - GWG

SCF -
G2 - Assisted on OT Winner
G6 - Assisted on GWG.

I think it made a lot of sense. Crosby was involved in 75% of the goals that iced the last two series.
each goal counts the same. Kessel got them there. This one should have been a no brainer but the media needed Crosby to get one before his time was done and this was the chance.

Crosby was also a minus 2 player in that playoffs
Kessel was plus 12
That stat is for all you people who hated on Draisaitls +/- last year but ignored it this year.

Williams over Doughty was surprising to me too.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
each goal counts the same. Kessel got them there. This one should have been a no brainer but the media needed Crosby to get one before his time was done and this was the chance.

Crosby was also a minus 2 player in that playoffs
Kessel was plus 12
That stat is for all you people who hard on Draisaitls +/- last year but ignored it this year.

Williams over Doughty was surprising to me too.

Kessel was solid. But Crosby did all the heavy lifting that playoffs for the Pens because Malkin’s shoulder was dead.

Anyone that watched the Penguins that year knows Letang deserved it over Sid not Phil.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Kessel was the obvious choice in 2016. The HBK line got Pittsburgh over the hump after years of making the playoffs and he carried it.

Crosby got it because Crosby had to get one. They totally Selke'd the Conn Smythe.

They don't give the Smythe to a whole line. Kessel did his damage on the PP, while he got carried somewhat at ES by H and B.

Crosby scored three less points, was a much bigger factor on the defensive side of things (the HBK line was exclusively playing an offensive role), and picked up his offense at key times especially in the last two series, all while carrying a career bottom 6 forward and an AHL callup.

That the other team's #1 line didn't score was as important as Crosby's line scoring.

Reactions: RSPens

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
For me Crosby in 2016. Before the playoffs already, you got the feeling that if he played a half decent playoffs they would give it to him for legacy purposes. After all, he had a great run before but Malkin was just a tad better. They probably didn't count on him winning one (legitimitely) one year later again. Felt like a lifetime achievement award.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
For me Crosby in 2016. Before the playoffs already, you got the feeling that if he played a half decent playoffs they would give it to him for legacy purposes. After all, he had a great run before but Malkin was just a tad better. They probably didn't count on him winning one (legitimitely) one year later again. Felt like a lifetime achievement award.

Based on what?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

So who should have won then? Most people have no issue with Kessel being picked and the voting reflected how close it was between the two.

It certainly isn't a slam dunk that Crosby was handed the Smythe without earning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad