Who was the most undeserving Conn Smythe winner in the last 10 years?

Who was the most undeserving Conn Smythe winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I didn't feel that Quick had to be great in 2012 because LA was so dominant. I would have given it to Kopitar or even Brown.
First of all: How dare you
Second of all: How dare you

Third of all:
upload_2021-6-24_12-37-0.png

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Williams in 2014 for me. Doughty, Kopitar and Carter would all have been more appropriate Conn Smythe recipients than Williams.
Please explain how

These were the stats
upload_2021-6-24_12-42-10.png

Carter had the exact same number of points. Williams scored more GWG . Williams and Gaborik were the two guys who would score the big goals that year. Williams especially for game 7s.
Williams was also the leading scorer during the final round by a pretty good margin
upload_2021-6-24_12-50-5.png

Doughty and Kopitar did much better in the first three rounds than the SCF and that was likely what hurt them

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Honestly it is Kane

Crawford deserved it but the nonsense about "Not wanting it to be another goalie" from writers hurt him

Kane
9 goals + 10 assists for 19 pts (2 GW goals)

Crawford that playoff
16-7 with 1.84 GAA and .932 sv pct (1 Shutout)
I still kinda say Kane, but I don't think it's not wanting it to be another goalie.

Thomas and Quick destroyed the standards of goalie wins. There's been no goalie win since because they put that bar at being a .940 goalie to winning the Smythe. It's probably only coming down now in the higher scoring zone, at least regular season. So Price could of course win it in the .930 range this year

Reactions: Lt Dan

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Voted 2016 Crosby because it was blatant star-worship but the Justin Williams win in 2014 always seemed really off to me. Especially when you EASILY could've given it to your 1C, 1D or Goalie and no one would've batted an eyelash.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Pens fan here, and I say Crosby in 2016.

However, I'll argue to the death that he deserved it in 2017.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Pens fan here, and I say Crosby in 2016.

However, I'll argue to the death that he deserved it in 2017.
I've been in enough debates on this site to know that most people can't even get their years straight. Mind you, with some of the names who voted for that option, there's probably a bit more to it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Crosby was 3 points back of Kessel, but that's comparing a top line 2-way center to a 3rd line scoring winger. Ovechkin was 5 points back of Kuznetsov, and doesn't have the defense or positional value to make up for it. Seems kind of weird to say Crosby was further behind Kessel than Ovechkin was behind Kuznetsov

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Crosby was 3 points back of Kessel, but that's comparing a top line 2-way center to a 3rd line scoring winger. Ovechkin was 5 points back of Kuznetsov, and doesn't have the defense or positional value to make up for it. Seems kind of weird to say Crosby was further behind Kessel than Ovechkin was behind Kuznetsov
Ovechkin had 15 goals and was hitting everything in sight, thought that was a fairly easy one (Ovechkin got 13/18 first place votes with Kuznetsov getting the other 5).

Reactions: Legionnaire

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You mean Niedermayer? 3 shutouts against a pop gun offense isnt Conn Smythe worthy.

He also put up 7 shutouts in the playoffs total, which is the most a goalie has ever done in the playoffs... but ya, didn't deserve the Conn Smythe

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

True, but there's a huge difference in goal output (six goals to 15). Plus Kuzy isn't any good defensively, either, and Ovechkin stepped up his defensive game somewhat toward the end of the 2018 playoffs and was more of a physical presence than Kuznetsov. Watching the 2016 playoffs it just never felt like Crosby was the MVP. If you look at raw point differences, Crosby was closer to Kessel than Ovie was to EK, but it's better to use percentages in this case.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
2016 easily. In 2018 I think you could make the argument that it should have been Kuznetsov, and IMO Point was robbed last year but Ovechkin and Hedman were both also very deserving winners.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Honestly it is Kane

Crawford deserved it but the nonsense about "Not wanting it to be another goalie" from writers hurt him

Kane
9 goals + 10 assists for 19 pts (2 GW goals)

Crawford that playoff
16-7 with 1.84 GAA and .932 sv pct (1 Shutout)

You could say it was made up for the one he should have won in 2010.

But Crawford lost it for being very shaky at times with some putrid goals against Detroit and then weak games against Boston

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Also yeah Canadian media gave Crosby the legacy award in 2016.

You had guys like Lebrun and Dreger saying after game 1 of the SCF they were voting Crosby no matter what

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
7 shutouts in those playoffs alone! For perspective I think Carey Price has 8 or 9 in his career

I've never been a fan of giving the loser team the Conn Smythe

Giguere has the best case in NHL history for winning the conn smythe in a losing cause in my opinion (unless it's Gretzky in 83, but then again I tend to like offense).

He was absolutely insane through 3 rounds. It's true he wasn't quite as good in round 4, but Giguere in 2003 is one of the most historic and impressive runs of all-time.

I don't necessarily disagree with your logic, I much prefer seeing MVP awarded to the winners only, as it's a bit dumb to give it to the losing team. But if there's one year you make an exception, Giguere is at the top of the list imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad