Who was the best faceoff man of all time?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I've always wondered what Gretzky and Lemieux's percentages would be in their primes, if the stat was kept back then. Around 50% maybe?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I've always wondered what Gretzky and Lemieux's percentages would be in their primes, if the stat was kept back then. Around 50% maybe?

Faceoffs are one thing that Gretzky was pretty mediocre at.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Wasn't Stephan Yelle a beast on draws, or am I not remembering that right?
Yes, he was often chosen over Sakic or Forsberg on key draws,... that's saying something. I recall seeing him win draws and immediately boot for the bench! :laugh:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We have, so far, three ways to spell Yannick Perrault's name and Birko19 is the winner!

I had a vague impression of Perrault as a hot prospect who never really lived up to expectations, yet was sort of grudgingly decent. How exactly does one become so good on face-offs anyway? What kind of skill do you need?

The ability to cheat and get away with it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Of the players I saw, Yannick Perrault. The fact he was utterly mediocre at basically everything else made it all the weirder.

Perreault scored over 50 points three times in his career (with three different teams) without really benefiting from talented line mates and in an era of low scoring. Calling him "utterly mediocre at basically everything else" is a very unfair characterization.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Sports Illustrated ranked the top 10 of all time at face offs in an April 27, 1998 article on the face off. They compiled the list with input from long time NHL observers.

1. Ted Kennedy
2. Stan Mikita
3. Derek Sanderson
4. Dave Keon
5. Doug Jarvis
6. Bobby Clarke
7. Guy Carbonneau
8. Milt Schmidt
9. Ron Francis
10. Bryan Trottier

I don't know what their percentages were but Clarke and Trottier were wicked clutch. I know they were really good overall but even better in must win spots.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I remember Rod Brind'Amour being great at the FO circle too.
He was mostly a winger before face-off stats were kept - a dang good tip-in netcrasher - and so I doubt there's anything other than the stats to reflect his NHL career impact in face-offs.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Of the players I saw, Yannick Perrault. The fact he was utterly mediocre at basically everything else made it all the weirder.

Perreault scored over 50 points three times in his career (with three different teams) without really benefiting from talented line mates and in an era of low scoring. Calling him "utterly mediocre at basically everything else" is a very unfair characterization.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
There's a lot more to it, but that is definitely a key part.

Indeed. Hand-eye also plays a big part of it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a similar correlation between eyesight and faceoff ability as there is with baseball hitters. A head-start definitely gives a notable advantage, though. So I'd go beyond just cheating and getting away with it, but also cheating in a precise manner that actually gives the necessary advantage.

I always thought Gretzky's faceoffs were one thing he was incredibly under-rated at, just because no one really paid attention to it. In his prime, I'd argue faceoffs were generally underappreciated by fans and coaches alike, but Gretzky understood the importance of it outside of the last minute or two.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
IDK about "best ever," but Mike Zigomanis and Dave Steckel were two guys who probably never would have made the NHL apart from being awesome at faceoffs.

Reactions: grentthealien

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
Yanic Perreault reminds me of a soccer player named Juninho. Widely regarded as the best free kick taker of all time, but never regarded as one of the best players in the world.

Rory Delap? Masters of putting the ball/puck back in play.

Last edited by a moderator:

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Surprised there hasn't been more love for Mikita. Doug Jarvis and Bobby Clarke right after him, imv. Zezel & Otto were great too. One name I haven't seen mentioned is Laurie Boschman. He was superb. Dale Hunter gets underrated. Lemaire was underrated as well; very good on set plays and liked to shoot on forehand draws.

I personally think, in spite of his statistical dominance, Perreault to be overrated. Great hands but if he didn't win it clean he was a liability; he was terrible at tying up the man. Not who you'd want on a defensive zone FO w/ a late one goal lead.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Jean Beliveau

Surprised there hasn't been more love for Mikita. Doug Jarvis and Bobby Clarke right after him, imv. Zezel & Otto were great too. One name I haven't seen mentioned is Laurie Boschman. He was superb. Dale Hunter gets underrated. Lemaire was underrated as well; very good on set plays and liked to shoot on forehand draws.

I personally think, in spite of his statistical dominance, Perreault to be overrated. Great hands but if he didn't win it clean he was a liability; he was terrible at tying up the man. Not who you'd want on a defensive zone FO w/ a late one goal lead.

Learned from Jean Beliveau. Set play that the team had for years from the left circle dot, especially effective against right hand catching goalies. Team would run and sell plays to the wide side getting the goalie to cheat to the wide side. Once the center saw the goalie cheat he would snap a shot directly into the bigger opening on the glove side. Beliveau was very effective getting Don Simmons a few times.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
We have, so far, three ways to spell Yannick Perrault's name and Birko19 is the winner!

I had a vague impression of Perrault as a hot prospect who never really lived up to expectations, yet was sort of grudgingly decent. How exactly does one become so good on face-offs anyway? What kind of skill do you need?

....That's Perreault. :laugh:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Just from memory, Lindros seemed pretty good on the draw for a while there, though his tactic was less about trying to win the puck and more making sure the other guy didn't. Never saw someone use their size and strength as well as he did in the faceoff, literally running over the opposing C

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Oh I totally forgot about Zezel and he was one of my favourites when he was with the Leafs. Tying people up and using his skate to kick the puck all the time.

Oates was quite good too.

Wasn't Zezel a soccer guy? I vaguely remember broadcasters mentioning that during his time with the Leafs.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Does anyone else have a link that shows the all the leader in faceoff percentages. I would like the to see stats in 90s as well

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In recent years, I recall both Blair Betts and Adam Hall being strong on draws.

Perreault was unreal though. Wasn't he like 70%?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Wasn't Zezel a soccer guy? I vaguely remember broadcasters mentioning that during his time with the Leafs.

Yup. They mentioned it constantly when he'd kick the puck free from a face off or from a scrum along the boards.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i remember him being average, but not mediocre.

or maybe when people mediocre, what they really mean is average? in the same way that the word nonplussed has come to mean unimpressed? there was some other thread recently where someone called chris osgood mediocre and i was like, << excuse me? i mean, he wasn't an all-star but garth snow is mediocre. chris osgood was average. >>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad