Who was more deserving of the Conn Smythe?

Dojji*

I disagree. Price and Roloson were both better. I don't even think Price can be debated, Thomas was bad in that series.

No, the defense was bad in that series. Chara was sick and that opened a huge hole in the D. Several instances where many of our defensemen were out of position and off their game. Thank god for Horton and Ryder.

Dojji*

And saying Roloson was better than Thomas is a sick joke. Smith bailed the Lightning out in that series multiple times How many minutes did Tuukka play again?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'd go with Krejci slightly ahead of Bergeron but only because PB got hurt.

I hate when people say Thomas won the Bruins the Cup. Through the first three rounds he played worse than he did in the regular season.

:amazed::help: What were you watching ???

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fans quickly forget that Seidenberg was on the ice for 4 of the 5 Montreal goals in the first 2 games.Chara wasn't on the ice for any goal against. Seidenberg was paired with Chara because he wasn't effective.

Look who he was paired with though. It's hard enough to play your own spot, let alone make up for defensively challenged partner who's giving away the puck on the freaking goal line, FFS. But yeah, it was all on Seidenberg...:laugh:

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
They were 1 and 1 in those two games, in a series that went the distance.

I'm not impressed.

Well, you don't watch the games either, Dojji. So it's harder for you to appreciate what Bergeron does, and where he goes when the B's don't have possession when listening to the radio. You're not impressed? That's ok, I'm in good company, as he was nominated and indeed received the Selke trophy. Further, when someone like Sidney Crosby calls him a "defensive monster" your personal opinion means jack and squat. And, jack just left town.

Kaoz*

Thomas was fantastic in those playoffs. He didn't win every game for Boston but that really isn't the measure that matters. He didn't lose any games for them, that's huge.

I chose Bergeron. Just as good offensively and ridiculously consistent and sound defensively.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
This guy was more deserving of the Conn Smythe if Thomas didn't win it:

"He's so important to us. He's my go-to guy in all situations," Bruins coach Claude Julien told ESPN.com in a recent interview.

Down a goal late in a game? Bergeron goes over the boards.

Need a crucial faceoff taken? Bergeron.

Need to protect a late lead? Bergeron.

"No doubt, he's the guy I lean on up front," Julien said.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Thomas was fantastic in those playoffs. He didn't win every game for Boston but that really isn't the measure that matters. He didn't lose any games for them, that's huge.

I chose Bergeron. Just as good offensively and ridiculously consistent and sound defensively.

Exactly. Consistent, produces, one of the team leaders that kept the team together, best defensive player in the playoffs, best plus/minus in the playoffs, best faceoff man in the playoffs ( 60.2 percent ).

Krejci was a force offensively after the Montreal series and his 4 GW goals help close the gap. But Bergeron was just better all around and more consistent all playoffs long.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Exactly. Consistent, produces, one of the team leaders that kept the team together, best defensive player in the playoffs, best plus/minus in the playoffs, best faceoff man in the playoffs ( 60.2 percent ).

Krejci was a force offensively after the Montreal series and his 4 GW goals help close the gap. But Bergeron was just better all around and more consistent all playoffs long.

Game 7 of the finals seals the deal IMO.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
People seem to forget that Bergeron only had 3 assists in the first six games of the Cup . DK had 2-4-6 up until that point and there is no game 7 without him.

How do people pick Bergeron when Krejci had 12 goals, to Bergeron's 6? The only series Bergeron was better was the Montreal one...and of course game 7 ....which should carry some weight, but DK would have and should have won the Smythe between the two of them.

I can't disagree with that answer. I hate the question because, when a team wins the Cup, it's impossible to reward one player without feeling remorse toward another, then another, then another. The right guy won it, but who in the world would ever have had Krejci leading the playoffs in goals? Goals! That's unbelievable. I don't care that he didn't score as many in four rounds as Reg Leach scored in three in '76, he outproduced his peers in a hyper-defensive climate. I'll take a team of Bergerons over a team of Krejcis any day, but the Bruins don't win the Cup without an overdose of both players. Krejci's playoffs were more rollercoaster than Bergy's -- go figure -- but his contribution was every bit as essential. More? Not in my mind, but his accomplishment was a tangible superlative that was key to putting Boston over the top. His OT goal in Game 2 at Philly was the backbreaker in that series and was clutch coming from a guy whose injury cost the Bruins their series against the Flyers in 2010. The 2011 finals -- and the whole 2011-12 season, for that matter -- proved how essential Horton is to Krejci, but Krej stepped up in the 2011 playoffs to a startling (probably never to be seen again) height and is deserving of the nod.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I can't disagree with that answer. I hate the question because, when a team wins the Cup, it's impossible to reward one player without feeling remorse toward another, then another, then another. The right guy won it, but who in the world would ever have had Krejci leading the playoffs in goals? Goals! That's unbelievable. I don't care that he didn't score as many in four rounds as Reg Leach scored in three in '76, he outproduced his peers in a hyper-defensive climate. I'll take a team of Bergerons over a team of Krejcis any day, but the Bruins don't win the Cup without an overdose of both players. Krejci's playoffs were more rollercoaster than Bergy's -- go figure -- but his contribution was every bit as essential. More? Not in my mind, but his accomplishment was a tangible superlative that was key to putting Boston over the top. His OT goal in Game 2 at Philly was the backbreaker in that series and was clutch coming from a guy whose injury cost the Bruins their series against the Flyers in 2010. The 2011 finals -- and the whole 2011-12 season, for that matter -- proved how essential Horton is to Krejci, but Krej stepped up in the 2011 playoffs to a startling (probably never to be seen again) height and is deserving of the nod.

What still impresses me were reports that right from the start of the Philly series the Flyers were not just hitting Krejci at every opportunity but verbally threatening him as well. And he responded by making them his *******. That was one of the sweetest parts of the entire Stanley Cup run.

But you know, as you and others point out, every single Bruin made at least one key contribution to that Stanley Cup. Even Kaberle, who people love to mock, blocked a shot heading for an open net in Game 7 of the Tampa series. That one play could have been the end of the road for the Bruins. The PK efforts by Paille and Campbell were ridiculous, especially in the Vancouver series. People like to complain that Lucic didn't have a good playoff, but by God he made more than a few critical plays (who passed to Horton for the Game 7 winner vs. Montreal?). The list goes on and on... every member of the Bruins could have his own personal highlight reel of those games.

To me, that's what made that team and that Cup so very special. Tim Thomas was great and deserved the Conn Smythe, but it wasn't just "starring Tim Thomas and a cast of thousands," it was a full-roster effort.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
What still impresses me were reports that right from the start of the Philly series the Flyers were not just hitting Krejci at every opportunity but verbally threatening him as well. And he responded by making them his *******. That was one of the sweetest parts of the entire Stanley Cup run.

But you know, as you and others point out, every single Bruin made at least one key contribution to that Stanley Cup. Even Kaberle, who people love to mock, blocked a shot heading for an open net in Game 7 of the Tampa series. That one play could have been the end of the road for the Bruins. The PK efforts by Paille and Campbell were ridiculous, especially in the Vancouver series. People like to complain that Lucic didn't have a good playoff, but by God he made more than a few critical plays (who passed to Horton for the Game 7 winner vs. Montreal?). The list goes on and on... every member of the Bruins could have his own personal highlight reel of those games.

To me, that's what made that team and that Cup so very special. Tim Thomas was great and deserved the Conn Smythe, but it wasn't just "starring Tim Thomas and a cast of thousands," it was a full-roster effort.

That's why he's known (at least in my house) as "Noted Flyer killer David Krejci."

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Defense never gets the glory, and never will.

It's frightening to think of the Bruins w/o big Z.

---------
You're right. Defense is barely rewarded except from coaches, teamates and opponents!

Bruins D is average w/o Chara.
He is one if not the toughest D to play against. Before the game, opponents are already thinking! That is how huge he is.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn
I disagree. Price and Roloson were both better. I don't even think Price can be debated, Thomas was bad in that series.

Uhh....what?

------
TT highlights video is right on. He was even more phenomenal than in my memories.

Nobody is perfect, but these saves were huge. Now my memories were that alot of these saves were clutch and at imprtant moments.

No keeper are perfect, but needs to be better than opponents keeper, make huge saves at crucial moments, and win games (more possible) by themselves. TT did this and more. He had no match for the Conn Smyth, and pretending so is :help:

I can also see how certain players were oftenly in trouble and made bad turnovers. Others not that much! Some players would have been in HUGE minus +- w/o Thomas.

Again Thanks Thomas for SC 2011 playoff run and thanks to the whole team!

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Not me. He was the biggest question mark for me up front going in. Could he stay healthy? Could he produce when the checking got tighter, and the hits came w/ a bit more stank and intent on them? Well, he did, and no one can take it away from him.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Krejci was probably the team's MVP for the second and third rounds combined, but wasn't anywhere in the discussion in the other two rounds (even with solid point totals in the final).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad