Who was more deserving of the Conn Smythe?

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
It would have been criminal for it to have gone to anyone else but TT. Criminal.

Next in line would be Chara. The Sedin twins still flip a coin to see who gets to check under the bunk beds for Z at nuh-night time.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Tough one. Krejci had the most goals in the entire playoffs but Patrice scored the Cup winning goal. I'd do co winners but if I have to choose I'd actually pick Dennis Seidenburg.

Rancid McGoiter

Still metal.
Feb 1, 2005
Bergeron, of course. If you want to over-think things you might say Horton. We never make it to the finals, or game seven of the finals if he doesn't score key goals and take that filthy hit.

Dojji*

Remembering that the Conn is specifically about the finals series, and not about the playoffs, if it wasn't awarded to Thomas than TT was robbed pure and simple. No one else comes close.

There is no way you can have Thomas do what Thomas did in that series and not award him the Smythe. Yes, the Bergeron line were huge in that series, but that was a line, working together. Conn Smythe is an individual award.

If you give that award to a Bruins skater, it's Chara, and then after Chara I think Dennis Seidenberg has to get strong consideration before you look at a forward (which would have to be Bergeron). I'm obviously not taking anything from the forwards here, but Boston's defense and goaltending were absolutely tremendous in that Finals series and were absolutely the reason we won that series.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I would have no problem with it going to Bergeron, Chara or Seidenberg. There are so many guys that made invaluable contributions along the way (Marchand, Horton, Krejci, Kelly, etc., etc.) but i felt those three were the most consistent throughout the entire Playoffs.

BeardBros

Everything hurt more
Jun 10, 2009
Remembering that the Conn is specifically about the finals series, and not about the playoffs, if it wasn't awarded to Thomas than TT was robbed pure and simple. No one else comes close.

There is no way you can have Thomas do what Thomas did in that series and not award him the Smythe. Yes, the Bergeron line were huge in that series, but that was a line, working together. Conn Smythe is an individual award.

If you give that award to a Bruins skater, it's Chara, and then after Chara I think Dennis Seidenberg has to get strong consideration before you look at a forward (which would have to be Bergeron). I'm obviously not taking anything from the forwards here, but Boston's defense and goaltending were absolutely tremendous in that Finals series and were absolutely the reason we won that series.

You must be misremembering, as it is about the playoffs, not just the finals.
http://www.nhl.com/trophies/smythe.html

The Conn Smythe Trophy is an annual award given to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs. The winner is selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the conclusion of the final game in the Stanley Cup finals.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB

FYI Unlike the playoff MVP awards presented in the other major professional sports leagues of the United States and Canada (the Super Bowl MVP, the NBA Finals MVP, and the World Series MVP), the Conn Smythe is based on the entire NHL postseason instead of just the championship game or series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conn_Smythe_Trophy

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
People seem to forget that Bergeron only had 3 assists in the first six games of the Cup . DK had 2-4-6 up until that point and there is no game 7 without him.

How do people pick Bergeron when Krejci had 12 goals, to Bergeron's 6? The only series Bergeron was better was the Montreal one...and of course game 7 ....which should carry some weight, but DK would have and should have won the Smythe between the two of them.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If I had to rank it, I'd say obviously Thomas by a mile, then Chara and Seidenberg, then Horton, then a second tier of guys like DK, Marchand and PB.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Agreed on all three.

Yes this. The fact this poll is close is embarrassing and it should be locked.

Shame on fans voting against DK who have an agenda against him. He was the best skater in the playoffs the year we won the cup and people vote against him? He's clearly the Conn Smythe if Timmy doesn't get it. This has pissed me off seeing this close what ungrateful fans we have.

I love Bergeron but I doubt he scores the goals in Game 2 against Tampa Seguin did if in the lineup.

Regardless Marchand was the star of that line overall just because of the timing of his goals. Recchi had a couple good games and the rest looked his age. Bergeron was Bergeron solid 2 way play. The argument could/should be made that the other 2 lines were better than theirs overall that playoffs (Marchand epic goal game 3 Van was a shorty.) They were amazing game 7 in Vancouver though.

Krejci was the best center in the playoffs and played like a first liner in winning the team the cup its despicable any Bruins fan would say he isn't the Conn Smythe runner up and not give him that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Shame on fans voting against DK who have an agenda against him. He was the best skater in the playoffs the year we won the cup and people vote against him? He's clearly the Conn Smythe if Timmy doesn't get it. This has pissed me off seeing this close what ungrateful fans we have.

I love Bergeron but I doubt he scores the goals in Game 2 against Tampa Seguin did if in the lineup.

Regardless Marchand was the star of that line overall just because of the timing of his goals. Recchi had a couple good games and the rest looked his age. Bergeron was Bergeron solid 2 way play. The argument could/should be made that the other 2 lines were better than theirs overall that playoffs (Marchand epic goal game 3 Van was a shorty.) They were amazing game 7 in Vancouver though.

Krejci was the best center in the playoffs and played like a first liner in winning the team the cup its despicable any Bruins fan would say he isn't the Conn Smythe runner up and not give him that.

Just a touch of hyperbole, don't you think? On a cup winning team, there are going to be lots of guys who come up big. It's how you win the cup. At the end of the day, DK played great. Thomas played insane. Chara and Seidenberg shut down the other team's top scoring lines consistently. Horton scored key goal after key goal to keep this team alive. Marchand played a key roll. PB was killer in the finals. Ryder came up big vs MTL, and so on and so on. None of that lessens any contributions by DK during that run, so I'm not sure why you'd get your panties in a bunch over how some other fans would rank things on their own personal scale.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I think Chara should be the MVP of everything all the time. Ok, that's a little extreme and Thomas was undoubtedly the Conn Smythe winner but Chara's mere presence alters the way both teams play at both ends of the rink. For example, guys can block shots and score goals but Chara can kill a rush because he covers so much space that, by the time a forward gets around him, they're in the corner. That's the kind of stuff that doesn't show up on stat sheets but contributes to wins.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I happen to agree with this... I think people are allowed to have an opinion, but I do think some tend to downplay DK and pump up Bergeron.

I doubt you win the Cup without either however. And Bergeron coming up the way he did game 7 was stuff of legend.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
This whole discussion only re-emphasizes why Thomas was so deserving over any other player.

This is a team that scores by committee via depth. The closest we have to a go to guy in terms of clutch goals was Horton. When DK was shut down, Bergeron came through. When neither could, the 3rd line stepped up. The PP? Uh...yeah.

Chara and Sieds had to routinely shut down the likes of; Claude Girioux, Briere who turned Tuukka into a Christmas tree the year before, MSL, Lecavalier, Stamkos, Kesler, Sedins. They were all non-factors. That was huge. Don't forget Bergeron's contributions defensively. He routinely drove puck carriers right into Chara. Hounds to the hunters. Not to mention outworking opponents in all 3 zones.

There's no other guy you can single out nearly as much as TT. If you had to, it's Chara in my book. Thank god he got over the sprints. That and cocacola.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I happen to agree with this... I think people are allowed to have an opinion, but I do think some tend to downplay DK and pump up Bergeron.

I doubt you win the Cup without either however. And Bergeron coming up the way he did game 7 was stuff of legend.

That's the best way to put it. Everyone stepped up when they had to. Think a/b it. We lost Horton in game 2 of the finals.

And, STILL shoved it up their lower intestine w/ a candle on it. :laugh:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
DK had .88 and PB .87 (while game 4 got injured - Flyers) game in 2011 playoffs.
DK is + 8 in 2011 playoffs - Bergy +15
-------------------------------------
Against Mtl - DK was absent, while PB get the edge. But third line was a big part of success.
-
Against Flyers: That is where DK took over. 8 pts in 4 games +6. Bergy had 5 pts in 3.5 games - + 2.
-
Against Tampa : PB had 3 pts in 5 games coming back from Concussion and + 2 while DK 6 pts and +3.
-
Against Vancouver : PB had 5 pts and a +6 while DK had 6 pts and a +3. We have to remember, 2 of the 6 first games Bruins were shut down.

Finally without faceoffs stats :
on that base:
22 pts in 25 games + 8 for DK
20 pts in 22.5 games + 15 for PB

If necessary for this post: I will give an edge to Bergy but it is irrelevant. Other than TT - the rest of Playoff 2011 run is a team work with huge contribution at different moments of ALL the roster. Big leadership came out of that playoffs run. And That Playoff run was one of the best, tinted of blue collars Bruins hockey: dedication, teamship, resiliance, and TT way of goaltending!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad