Speculation: Who wants to be President of Hockey OPs; survey says...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've changed my mind on Brian Burke, he could be the one guy to stand up to EM since he has so many connections in hockey including with the league. And he wouldn't be GM but would probably bring in a guy like Dave Nonis who has plenty of NHL experience.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I've changed my mind on Brian Burke, he could be the one guy to stand up to EM since he has so many connections in hockey including with the league. And he wouldn't be GM but would probably bring in a guy like Dave Nonis who has plenty of NHL experience.

Burke has found his calling as an NHL analyst! Opinionated, informed, and anything but a fence- sitter!
He brings that "old school " approach, yet is smart enough to know the game has changed.
I enjoy his takes but feel his time has passed as an NHL exec.
Better off on a panel expressing his "no holds barred" opinions.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Burke has found his calling as an NHL analyst! Opinionated, informed, and anything but a fence- sitter!
He brings that "old school " approach, yet is smart enough to know the game has changed.
I enjoy his takes but feel his time has passed as an NHL exec.
Better off on a panel expressing his "no holds barred" opinions.
Don Cherry's eventual replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Variable26

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Based on how he gushed about our prospect list yesterday i am not so certain that he'd rush to can PD

Reactions: Yak

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

I dislike Brian Burke, but... given that Melnyk is the owner, I'd actually welcome him as POHO. He wouldn't put up with Melnyk's shit at all, and would almost certainly perceive Dorion as a weak, ineffective clown and fire him immediately.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's not obnoxious, he's enthusiastic

I find most people who consider him obnoxious only hear him on TV. I remember the first time I listened to him doing an interview and I was really surprised, he even did a little mea culpa about his time in Hartford the other day on TSN1200.

He dials it up to 11 on NBC because that is what works in the US: the proof is in the pudding, he's been very successful as a media personality.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I find most people who consider him obnoxious only hear him on TV. I remember the first time I listened to him doing an interview and I was really surprised, he even did a little mea culpa about his time in Hartford the other day on TSN1200.

He dials it up to 11 on NBC because that is what works in the US: the proof is in the pudding, he's been very successful as a media personality.
I don't mind him on the radio sometimes. He definitely dials it down as far as the TV personality goes.

Maybe he's learned since the horror stories of when he still worked in the league, but he looks to me like the same guy that had the criticism of an arrogant know it all. He's pretty much unwilling to ever admit he is wrong or off base even when called on it. He's more likely to double down and look stupid on air than be open to criticism. I find that a huge turn off in leaders and we already have a lot of that in Dorion & company.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I don't mind him on the radio sometimes. He definitely dials it down as far as the TV personality goes.

Maybe he's learned since the horror stories of when he still worked in the league, but he looks to me like the same guy that had the criticism of an arrogant know it all. He's pretty much unwilling to ever admit he is wrong or off base even when called on it. He's more likely to double down and look stupid on air than be open to criticism. I find that a huge turn off in leaders and we already have a lot of that in Dorion & company.

Yeah I think you nailed it ... McGuire has NONE of the characteristics of a leader that you'd want in a senior position in your company.

I've always wished he'd land a GM position in the league so that we could all see him fail spectacularly (which he did as a coach)... It'd be just my own little quota of schadenfreude.

And you combine that with my desire to see Melnyck / Dorion fail in every way possible with the Sens and I am fully on board with McGuire as POHO!

Reactions: Rand0m

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

I do think that in the right circumstance it would be really interesting to see him in a GM chair. Not saying I want him in Ottawa, but I would not be surprised if he was wildy successful or a complete train wreck.

Regardless, if he turned down millions to become Pittsburgs GM because they only offered a 2-3 year deal and he wanted 5...I have a hard time believing him and EM could work out a deal.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah I think you nailed it ... McGuire has NONE of the characteristics of a leader that you'd want in a senior position in your company.

I've always wished he'd land a GM position in the league so that we could all see him fail spectacularly (which he did as a coach)... It'd be just my own little quota of schadenfreude.

And you combine that with my desire to see Melnyck / Dorion fail in every way possible with the Sens and I am fully on board with McGuire as POHO!
I do think that in the right circumstance it would be really interesting to see him in a GM chair. Not saying I want him in Ottawa, but I would not be surprised if he was wildy successful or a complete train wreck.

Regardless, if he turned down millions to become Pittsburgs GM because they only offered a 2-3 year deal and he wanted 5...I have a hard time believing him and EM could work out a deal.
I would be up for it just for the laughs, but I think he would crash and burn.

Hockey knowledge is one thing, he definitely has that, but there's a lot more to it than just that.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Bobby Smith former Ottawa 67's superstar and NHL player. Is the majority owner of Halifax Mooseheads and president. He is a class act.
He'd be a good choice (I think) but probably too content to stay with his Halifax Mooseheads since he is so involved with them.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004

Schadenfreude can be delicious. On the other hand, craving total failure is like getting on a plane and hoping it crashes because you don't like the pilot.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So, anything new to report here?? Seems like the media has even gone into a cone of silence on this front. Just as many thought, a mini-ploy to try to boost season ticket sales right at renewal period. Melnyk appeased Lord Bettman by releasing a statement letting everyone know that they are actively looking (which they weren't), which fit right into the renewal campaign, now the silence where we are supposed to just ignore the fact that this whole charade actually happened.

Shouldn't this be more of a joke league wide, and maybe it is?? The team made this massive announcement on HNIC no less, only to not do what they stated they were going to do.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
So, anything new to report here?? Seems like the media has even gone into a cone of silence on this front. Just as many thought, a mini-ploy to try to boost season ticket sales right at renewal period. Melnyk appeased Lord Bettman by releasing a statement letting everyone know that they are actively looking (which they weren't), which fit right into the renewal campaign, now the silence where we are supposed to just ignore the fact that this whole charade actually happened.

Shouldn't this be more of a joke league wide, and maybe it is?? The team made this massive announcement on HNIC no less, only to not do what they stated they were going to do.

Relax, they have a few more days.

They had to get the 2nd mortgage for the coach contract first

Reactions: BatherSeason
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad