Who thinks the Tavares money could be better spent?

Was the Tavares contract the best use of cap dollars?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Only our fan base would moan about signing a franchise player :facepalm:

I don't think anyone is moaning; everything should be questioned.

Every decision you make, especially multi year, 9 figure per annum deals.

Every decision comes down to productivity/value for price. Every player has a price; Hainsey at 2.5 million is probably worth 2.5 million; but if he's at 3.5 million is he deserving? Is he a good asset?

In summary; it's not like you can pay anyone what you want and expect the value to be worth it. Is Ovechkin worth 18 million per year? Would McDavid be worth 27 million per year?

Anyways; If Tavares is making 11,000,000 per annum; and his production is 70 points; you could argue his market price value is a net negative.

Now that said; Tavares in my opinion should prove to be worth the price. I'm happy with the signing and i'm happy with the risk.

Just saying it's not bad for someone to want to discuss the long term market value of a player

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Quality>quantity when it comes to pro sorts.

I’d rather have one star player, especially a centre over getting 2-3 lesser UFAs.

The Marleau and Zaitsev contracts are more of a blockage to the Leafs cap situation than JTs contract anyways

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's possible that the money could be better spent. It's also possible someone could turn down a 100k job and get a 300k job. But I wouldn't advise that person to make that decision only on the basis that a 300k job may eventually be out there. Yes, eventually there may be a free agent defenseman out there that we'd rather have for 11 million instead of Tavares. But I'm not sure if you've noticed, most of the best players in the league tend to resign long before free agency. You sign Tavares if you think he makes your team better right now for the cost, and potential side affects(like limiting cap space). Which he easily does. You don't forgo making that decision because hey there might be a better decision out there to be made eventually. There also very might not. And already 2 of the best 3 defenseman on the market for next offseason have already resigned, and the 3rd can't get an 8 year contract until after the trade deadline so him not resigning with San Jose yet isn't really indicative of anything. A better option than Tavares may be there. A better option than Tavares probably won't be there. You make the right decision on Tavares, and if that option opens up down the road you evaluate your options then and see what can be done.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Never seen a poll so lopsided

1 no vote was from a salty Stars fan
and the other was probably a mistake given their post in the thread

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I suppose if the Leafs wanted to finance your crack habit then the 11 million would be better spent but barring that then No we don't need the money elsewhere .

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Who is saying the money should have been spent elsewhere, randon twitter people?
Non-Leafs fans I guess. Any way to twist it into Tavares signing here somehow being a bad thing. We signed one of the biggest UFA's this century, the hell do I care that some Oilers fan or whatever is butthurt over it.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

JohnnyInThe6

Jul 1, 2018
Even though signing Tavares does not directly improve our D-core, since Defense is a responsibility of everyone on the ice, his solid 2-way play indirectly improves our team defense. It is very well spent IMO, especially his ability to help mentor some of our young guys, while immediately providing more stability in the forward core.

I think if we used the same top 6 d-men as last year and they all played the same way, every one of them would look better overall with our stronger forward core having Tavares in it. Our defense problems seem smaller now to me.

this guy f_cks

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I admit, signing Tavares makes things more complicated but if Dubas and company can make it work out in the end then we have such an interesting roster combination for 7+ years. Some people might not agree with being a forward heavy roster but if it works out I'm sure those same people won't care anymore.

Two first lines, let's see how they do.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner

Reactions: tokiih

tokiih

Nov 30, 2017
I admit, signing Tavares makes things more complicated but if Dubas and company can make it work out in the end then we have such an interesting roster combination for 7+ years. Some people might not agree with being a forward heavy roster but if it works out I'm sure those same people won't care anymore.

Two first lines, let's see how they do.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
I admit I'm not 100% sold on the move (yet). I basically have two worries:
1. Tavares will decline too fast and become a cap anchor. This is probably very unlikely but stranger things has happened. He's no spring chicken at 28 at least.
2. We won't be able to afford to keep Nylander and that could make Matthews less effective depending on who takes Nylander's place. I'm not convinced Ennis, or whoever would get the spot, can keep up in the long run.

Hopefully and probably none of this will happen though and then I won't care. Team success is the only thing that matters.

Reactions: Liminality

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I admit I'm not 100% sold on the move (yet). I basically have two worries:
1. Tavares will decline too fast and become a cap anchor. This is probably very unlikely but stranger things has happened. He's no spring chicken at 28 at least.
2. We won't be able to afford to keep Nylander and that could make Matthews less effective depending on who takes Nylander's place. I'm not convinced Ennis, or whoever would get the spot, can keep up in the long run.

Hopefully and probably none of this will happen though and then I won't care. Team success is the only thing that matters.
I think that's fair but to your first point, Tavares is such a hard worker that I doubt he'll be slowing down anytime soon. Maybe that happens near the end of that contract.

Reactions: tokiih

nwarrior

Aug 28, 2010
The money is well spent. You have 2 quality centers a la Crosby/Malkin. You don’t pass that up.
The question is do you spend a lot of money on 2 wingers? We need a serious D.
Wait...what! I was never informed of the sailboat option!

Reactions: Trawna Phan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad