Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I mean it seems like our fans would look at things in context. Torts is a defensive coach, thats always had a bad powerplay.. yet our fans blame Larsen. With the front office interviewing Larsen, even though its most likely a token interview, I think it becomes pretty obvious they dont feel Larsens coaching was the issue.
While this may be true, why did he stick around for so long if Torts was gonna Torts and not listen to the guy who was supposedly in charge of the powerplay? You'd think he'd want to leave and find a place where he had actual input.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
While this may be true, why did he stick around for so long if Torts was gonna Torts and not listen to the guy who was supposedly in charge of the powerplay? You'd think he'd want to leave and find a place where he had actual input.
Maybe he felt he would be the next coach ? Hard to say.. we have plenty of reporting of Torts and Larsen going at it on the bench

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The only reason I'd want Quinn is if it would somehow (and I'm not quite sure how) help us be more likely to land Eichel (even though he doesn't have NTC, maybe he'd try to direct a trade to Columbus, really not sure).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The only reason a coach with a strong NHL resume would come to Columbus is because he had no other option or for a fantastic compensation package. This job is meant for a coach with a strong developmental background who isn't expected to win for years. The Columbus version of Jeff Blashill.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The only reason a coach with a strong NHL resume would come to Columbus is because he had no other option or for a fantastic compensation package. This job is meant for a coach with a strong developmental background who isn't expected to win for years. The Columbus version of Jeff Blashill.

Yet the best two coaches in franchise history have been Hitch and Torts.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Why are you juxtaposing winning and development

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
With JD now on board , have to think this guy is a legit option they will consider

Kris Knoblauch, Hartford Wolfpack head coach
While Rangers owner James Dolan recently dismissed his general manager, Jeff Gorton, and well-liked president John Davidson, many around the league actually look at the Rangers as a model for engineering a swift rebuild, especially with so many young players making strides this season.
"One person to credit for that is Kris Knoblauch," a respondent said. "He's done a great job with the Rangers' farm team. He was the guy responsible for making sure those guys were ready."
Knoblauch, 42, filled in for David Quinn when the coaching staff was knocked out with COVID and led the Rangers to a 3-2 record -- including a 9-0 win over the Flyers in his first game behind the bench.

Kris Knoblauch was named the seventh head coach in Wolf Pack history July 29, 2019.
Knoblauch came to the Wolf Pack after two seasons as an assistant coach with the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers. Before that stint, he spent seven seasons as a head coach at the Major Junior level, two (2010-11 and 2011-12) with the Kootenay Ice of the Western Hockey League (WHL) and five with the Ontario Hockey League’s (OHL) Erie Otters. All told, Knoblauch amassed a Major Junior career coaching record of 298-130-16-13, for a points percentage of .684, in 457 games.
In his first season as a head coach, 2010-11 with Kootenay, Knoblauch piloted the Ice to a 46-21-1-4 record for 97 points in the regular season, and a 16-3 playoff run that saw Kootenay capture the WHL championship and earn a berth in the Memorial Cup.
After finishing his Kootenay tenure with a total record of 82-47-7-8, Knoblauch moved behind the Erie bench November 29, 2012. Subsequent to that season, he led the Otters to four consecutive 50-win campaigns, making the Otters the first team in the history of the Canadian Hockey League (comprised of the OHL, WHL and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League) to accomplish that feat.
Knoblauch’s 2016-17 Erie club won the OHL championship and advanced all the way to the final of the Memorial Cup, and both that team and the previous year’s Otter squad won the Hamilton Spectator Trophy for compiling the best regular-season record in the OHL. Knoblauch was named OHL Coach of the Year in 2015-16, and also guided Erie to the OHL final in 2014-15. He finished his Erie tenure with an overall record of 216-79-9-5 (.722) in 309 games.
During his time coaching the Otters and Ice, Knoblauch played a key role in the development of numerous players who went on to successful NHL careers, including Connor McDavid, Alex DeBrincat, Sam Reinhart, Dylan Strome, Andre Burakovsky, Anthony Cirelli, Erik Cernak, Connor Brown and Travis Dermott.
Prior to becoming a head coach, Knoblauch served as an assistant coach with Kootenay for three seasons (2007-08 through 2009-10). The first coaching experience for the Imperial, Saskatchewan native was one year (2006-07) as an assistant with the WHL’s Prince Albert Raiders.
Knoblauch has also coached in several international tournaments, including helping Canada to a silver medal in the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship as an assistant coach. He also served as head coach for Canada-Red at the 2015 World U17 Hockey Challenge.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I were a betting man I’d put some money on David Quinn being our next coach

I know two things about Quinn's Rangers. They got big career years out of a lot of players, and they still lost a lot of games.

And Rangers fans seemed to not like him. They sometimes blamed him for the slow development of Laf and Kakko. Who knows if they were right though.

I still prefer a more veteran coach like Boudreau or Gallant, but if JD thinks Quinn is the best man for the job, well he'd know better than I would.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know two things about Quinn's Rangers. They got big career years out of a lot of players, and they still lost a lot of games.

And Rangers fans seemed to not like him. They sometimes blamed him for the slow development of Laf and Kakko. Who knows if they were right though.

I still prefer a more veteran coach like Boudreau or Gallant, but if JD thinks Quinn is the best man for the job, well he'd know better than I would.

To be fair to Quinn, he’s had like 3-4 decent defenseman to work with.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Yeah , I don’t think Quinn will be the next coach , for the reasons you mentioned.. but he does have ties to JD and Eichel .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I thought this quote from Larry Brooks was interesting.

Quinn was in his third season behind an NHL bench while Trotz was in his 22nd in a sure-shot Hall of Fame career that began, by the way, with his Predators winning just two playoff rounds in his 15 seasons behind the Nashville bench.

This ought to be brought up the next time CR trots out the predictable playoff-series-wins stats to discredit individuals.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My answer may have been a ton of bricks subtle.:laugh: Sorry.

Even if he's lowballed, it's sort of like "so what" BrindA'mour had $52 million in career earnings as a player. Carolina has been his home for over 20 years. He's part of an organization which may be on the verge of a Stanley Cup. He's won a Cup as a player there.

I can't imagine him leaving that organization for a Tire Fire like the CBJ for a couple of million bucks over the course of a contract. But, one never knows. He did go through a divorce in 2004 so his financial situation may not be as rosy as I would expect it to be.
I live in Charlotte and watch a lot of Hurricanes hockey and BrindA'mour sat for an interview and said if he leaves Carolina, he'd stop coaching. Now that might be coach speak to make Canes fans feel like they're special, or maybe not. He doesn't strike me as a lifer.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad