Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Lane Lambert was brought up on the mains as a potential fit for us. He's a protege of Trotz who is viewed as a guy who is long overdue for a HC position.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Gallant seems to have a history of working for owners who are quick on the trigger to fire coaches. Does he really want to work for Dolan now that he is meddling in the Rangers like he does the Knicks?
Considering his age and possible last job scenario maybe it’s about $? Maybe not..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Some coach tidbits today from Jarmo

Have you conducted any interviews for the coaching search yet?
JK: “We’ve talked to some people, but we’re just kind of lining them up in the opening stage of our search.”
The field of potential coaching candidates includes a lot of experienced NHL coaches and also a number of coaches that do not have NHL experience yet. Would you be open to hiring somebody whom most will consider an ‘outside the box’ choice?
JK: “Absolutely, if we think that’s the best candidate as a coach for our team. Why not? NHL experience is valuable. So, proven success and proven winning and experience at the NHL level, those are all positives. It’s not always a requirement, but those are positives.”
Anything you’re willing to share about Brad Shaw not returning as an assistant?
JK: “No, it was just time. His contract’s up and we decided we’re going to make a change in that area. No drama. Great coach. He did a great job.”
It’s been reported that assistant Brad Larsen will be interviewed for the head coaching role. Can you share anything about that situation?
JK: “Well, we know our people pretty well and we’ll do our due diligence here with all the different candidates who we think are worthy. We think ‘Lars’ is going to be a head coach in the league and Brad Shaw has potential too. But we’ve got to do our search now and go through that and make the best choice for the Blue Jackets in 2021.”
Jones' standard of play is so high that he struggled playing up to it this season. How much might that factor into the negotiations with him?
JK: “When a player has been with us for so many years and played so well for us and been a leader, especially in a weird year like this, you’re not going to put too much emphasis on the short-term struggles. We talked about it, in general, that we don’t want to over-evaluate anybody on this year. Seth also rose to another level at the end of it, when we were out of it. He still set the standard of how we work and how we go about our business, which was great to see.”

Blue Jackets GM Kekalainen talks Seth Jones, Zach Werenski, offseason

Reactions: LJ7201

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
The coach doesn't really matter that much. He doesn't need to win, just keep up good spirits & develop the kids while Columbus tanks for 2-3 years.

This team really, really, really needs a solid tank, for once.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Blue Jackets Sunday Gathering: Gerard Gallant's redemption, John Tortorella wanted to quit a year earlier

Gallant is going to interview with us after the World Champioships. He says he'd welcome a return. Seattle and NYR also interviewing him/going to.
I’d welcome back Gallant with open arms. I know some have expressed concerns, but every coach comes with an unknown as to how it will go.

Some have called for a young up and coming coach. But this franchise needs to reinforce its legitimacy and Gallant is an excellent respected coach who does just that.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't know much about Rikard Gronberg. Can anyone give me the rundown on him?
He's Swedish.

That's all I got. Apparently NJ was interested in him last year but were told no when they asked permission to interview him. His name seems to get thrown out as a risky outside the box hire which probably makes him someone Jarmo would consider but I have zero idea if he is a good idea or not.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If I am looking at the CBJ roster or the NYR roster, I am taking the NYR roster 10 times out of 10.
But would you trade the entire CBJ roster for the entire Detroit Red Wings roster?

I honestly don't know who 1/2 of the NYR roster is. Sure they have Panarin. They also have under performing high draft picks like Lafrenniere and Kakko. Maybe they'll turn into something. Maybe they won't. Is Gallant the kind of guy who would turn those guys around? Outside of that I don't think the rest of their roster is much different than ours.

As much as there is all of the media hype about Gallant and the Rangers there is no guarantee he is the right fit for them since Dolan seems insistent this team make the playoffs next year. He wants results now. Also no guarantee he's the right fit here either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yep. I'm hoping for Velucci but honestly I'd be pleased with any of them besides Claude Julien

I'm all in on Boudreau and Gallant. Unless we're rebuilding I don't want a rookie coach, though maybe I could be persuaded to go for a veteran AHL coach like Vellucci.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think I'd be good with anyone on that list minus Julien, Dineen, or Hartley. I'm skeptical of Boudreau, partially due to his age and partially due to other factors, but I suppose I would be okay with him. Gallant is moving up my list quickly.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Reactions: CBJWerenski8

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Former Blue Jackets assistant Brad Shaw thankful for lasting memories

Please don't ever talk to me about the "We want guys who want to be here" slogan.
Maybe the front ofice feels that our group of defenseman arent being coached up correctly ? Its still a business. Yes Larsen is getting an interview, and people will say look at the powerplay, but when the head coach has had an abmysmal powerplay with every franchise hes coached, thats not coincidence , thats something hes doing or meddling with . I'm guessing the front office knows the specifics.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Maybe the front ofice feels that our group of defenseman arent being coached up correctly ? Its still a business. Yes Larsen is getting an interview, and people will say look at the powerplay, but when the head coach has had an abmysmal powerplay with every franchise hes coached, thats not coincidence , thats something hes doing or meddling with . I'm guessing the front office knows the specifics.

Every time I see this stat pointed out it comes from one of your posts.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Every time I see this stat pointed out it comes from one of your posts.
I mean it seems like our fans would look at things in context. Torts is a defensive coach, thats always had a bad powerplay.. yet our fans blame Larsen. With the front office interviewing Larsen, even though its most likely a token interview, I think it becomes pretty obvious they dont feel Larsens coaching was the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad