Who stays, who goes? (UFAs)

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
As we are approaching the half-way point of the season, this team is clearly playing a playoff-level style of hockey. I know we all talk about our UFA veterans finally being gone and freeing up space on this team for guys like Howden (maybe not next year if he's not healthy), Grimaldi (possible), Pirri and Trocheck (getting to play every night), but I feel we should re-evaluate some of our pending FAs.

Here is everyone who is a a UFA after this season:

Fleischmann
Upshall
Kopecky
Bergenheim
O'Brien
Ellis
Butler
Zanon
Olson (Brett)

Guys like Zanon and Brett Olson are replaceable and I don't even know how much they are contributing to SA. Butler, maybe offer a deal for depth. Ellis depends on the development of Houser and Brittan.

As far as the NHL UFAs, I would go two more years for both Kopecky and Bergenheim. Kopecky has really emerged as a great PKer and 4th liner with Mack. Ever since we stopped playing him in a top 6 role (where he never should have been), there's been very little to complain about him.

Bergenheim has shown value on both ends, and if you go by the fancy advanced stats, he (along with Barkov) is one of the top players in the league in reducing shots against while on the ice. He has the ability to chip in 30 points (when healthy) or so from the 3rd line and can sometimes slot into the 2nd. I do feel some teams will offer him a decent contract though, and we may end up losing him for a better offer.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
the only ones I'd choose to keep are Kopecky and Bergy.

Upshall is a guy who can be a good playoff type player. But he's been injured a lot and takes too many dumb penalties throughout his tenure with us and might be a good player to trade by deadline. The rest I don't care for and can trade by deadline.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
the only ones I'd choose to keep are Kopecky and Bergy.

Upshall is a guy who can be a good playoff type player. But he's been injured a lot and takes too many dumb penalties throughout his tenure with us and might be a good player to trade by deadline. The rest I don't care for and can trade by deadline.

Exactly my feeling

+1

Erick*

Flash needs to go. Upshall seems like a nice guy, but he needs to go.

Kopecky can stay if he takes a pay cut.

I don't like spending too much on checking line players, but I'd be willing to overpay to bring Bergenheim back. He's the perfect 3rd line player, capable of filling in on a scoring line in case of injuries.

Rest of the guys are irrelevant.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Bergie is going to be too expensive to keep but I'd like to sign him for a couple more years. Kopecky would prob come cheap but wouldn't want him for more than a year. I could see Flash signing with Pitt for a year to get to play in their top 6. I don't want Upshall unless he took a pay cut and signed for a year. I could see Edmonton trying to sign him.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Depends on what term and salary they're asking for.

I'd offer Bergy a 2yr @ 2.75mil per

Kopecky 2yr @ 2.5mil per

Upshall and Flash of the books is a big help.

We also stop paying for Kuba, so that's another 1.4 saved :laugh:

But the money we save by not re-signing Upshall and Flash will mostly go towards new contracts for Huberdeau and Hayes

Erick*

Depends on what term and salary they're asking for.

I'd offer Bergy a 2yr @ 2.75mil per

Kopecky 2yr @ 2.5mil per

Upshall and Flash of the books is a big help.

Bergy and Kopecky probably won't have salaries that look that similar, I'm guessing. Bergy's going to get more than that.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Bergy and Kopecky probably won't have salaries that look that similar, I'm guessing. Bergy's going to get more than that.

They may want to stick around especially if we make the playoffs, both have been here for a couple years and are starting to see this team find some success. It'll be an interesting trade deadline and offseason for Tallon, doesn't he need a new contract?

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I'd love to have Bergy back but with his play he may price himself out of what is logical.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Looking at nhlnumbersom (RIP Capgeek), we have a bunch of RFAs after this season.

Huberdeau
Hayes
Corban Knight
Howden
McFarland
Petrovic
Yogan
Martindale
Wilson
Houser
Taker
McFadden
Parlett
Blacker
Kampfer

Erick*

They may want to stick around especially if we make the playoffs, both have been here for a couple years and are starting to see this team finding some success. It'll be an interesting trade deadline and offseason for Tallon, doesn't he need a new contract?

I felt like this was a judgment year for Tallon to at least see some improvement with the team, especially with new ownership here.

Safe to say it's gone well so far overall.

Erick*

Maybe we can pull of a cheap deal with Bergy like we did with Bjugs?

Bjugstad's deal was that cheap because it was an extension. He was years away from free agency. It was a fair deal all things considered.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The next two-three years are not going to be cap crunch years. Thus, re-signing e.g. Bergy and Kopy shouldn't be a problem if Tallon wants them to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad