Who stays, who goes? (UFAs)

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
As we are approaching the half-way point of the season, this team is clearly playing a playoff-level style of hockey. I know we all talk about our UFA veterans finally being gone and freeing up space on this team for guys like Howden (maybe not next year if he's not healthy), Grimaldi (possible), Pirri and Trocheck (getting to play every night), but I feel we should re-evaluate some of our pending FAs.

Here is everyone who is a a UFA after this season:

Fleischmann
Upshall
Kopecky
Bergenheim
O'Brien
Ellis
Butler
Zanon
Olson (Brett)

Guys like Zanon and Brett Olson are replaceable and I don't even know how much they are contributing to SA. Butler, maybe offer a deal for depth. Ellis depends on the development of Houser and Brittan.

As far as the NHL UFAs, I would go two more years for both Kopecky and Bergenheim. Kopecky has really emerged as a great PKer and 4th liner with Mack. Ever since we stopped playing him in a top 6 role (where he never should have been), there's been very little to complain about him.

Bergenheim has shown value on both ends, and if you go by the fancy advanced stats, he (along with Barkov) is one of the top players in the league in reducing shots against while on the ice. He has the ability to chip in 30 points (when healthy) or so from the 3rd line and can sometimes slot into the 2nd. I do feel some teams will offer him a decent contract though, and we may end up losing him for a better offer.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are the same as yours. You just made the thread before I could!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think it's way too early to talk about this, so I'll stay out, but

Looking at nhlnumbersom (RIP Capgeek), we have a bunch of RFAs after this season.

Huberdeau
Hayes
Corban Knight
Howden
McFarland
Petrovic
Yogan
Martindale
Wilson
Houser
Taker
McFadden
Parlett
Blacker
Kampfer

http://archive.org/web/

plug in capgeek in this site and you can still access it. Won't be useful after this year, but for now...

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Bergy and Kopecky are the only two I am keeping. Id rather give Upshall's spot to someone like Howden or Grimaldi, depending on what Tallon adds to this team over the next eight months.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
We are sitting 3 forwards per game as it is. Flash, Kopecky and Upshall are all over-priced for what they are presently contributing. Bergy, though injury prone, is a solid 3rd liner, who can play up if needed, who should only be resigned for $3mm or less, which seems unlikely and maybe undesirable too given our prospect depth (Grimaldi etc.).

That said, who knows the mind of Tallon? I thought that Shore was a big part of our plans.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Huberdeau-Barkov-Boyes
Jokinen-Bjugstad-Hayes
Pirri-Bolland-?/Trocheck
Howden-MacKenzie-?
Thornton

That's what it looks like right now for next year.

I understand where people are going with bringing Kopecky back, but he doesn't fit Gallant's MO of speed. He's a good PK guy and an average 4th liner, but that's it. Kopecky is so slow, bound to get even slower (turns 33 next month) and doesn't hit much for a 4th liner (because of that lack of speed, he'd be out of position). It's time to let him go.

Upshall, don't think there's a deal to be made. I doubt he'll settle for a 1-2y deal and at this stage of the rebuild, Tallon shouldn't hand him term. Wouldn't be that surprised if he took a paycut (in both term & money) to sign with a cup contender, like LA/Chicago/Pittsburgh.

Bergenheim is a curious case. This is his last chance to cash in on the UFA market and we can't afford to commit too many years to him. Though we have the capspace to massively overpay him for a year or two, to make up for what he'd earn over more years with another team. Bottom line is that if he's looking for anything over 2 years, he's as good as gone already.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Huberdeau-Barkov-Boyes
Jokinen-Bjugstad-Hayes
Pirri-Bolland-?/Trocheck
Howden-MacKenzie-?
Thornton

I understand where people are going with bringing Kopecky back, but he doesn't fit Gallant's MO of speed. He's a good PK guy and an average 4th liner, but that's it. Kopecky is so slow, bound to get even slower (turns 33 next month) and doesn't hit much for a 4th liner (because of that lack of speed, he'd be out of position). It's time to let him go.

Upshall, don't think there's a deal to be made. I doubt he'll settle for a 1-2y deal and at this stage of the rebuild, Tallon shouldn't hand him term. Wouldn't be that surprised if he took a paycut (in both term & money) to sign with a cup contender, like LA/Chicago/Pittsburgh.

Bergenheim is a curious case. This is his last chance to cash in on the UFA market and we can't afford to commit too many years to him. Though we have the capspace to massively overpay him for a year or two, to make up for what he'd earn over more years with another team. Bottom line is that if he's looking for anything over 2 years, he's as good as gone already.

Really would like to see grimaldi in lineup next year.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
My problem with Kopecky is that last year he was brutal. If you want to see slow check out how he was last year... I just can't get too impressed with guys who show up on their contract year.

I would definitely bring back Bergy if he signs a short term contract, he brings it every night.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'd say we should really try to keep Bergy. He has more passion and plays harder than most of the team despite his skill level being decent. I think in the playoffs, he's a guy that might be very useful.

I wasn't originally on-board with Kopecky, but over the last week have reconsidered. As he said after the game yesterday in the post-game interview, he may not always show up on the scoresheet, but his play on the PK and effort comes through at key times when we need him.

I feel like Upshall and Flash are super nice guys and at times, I love Upshall's energy, but it affects him in a negative way too often which leads to a stupid penalty. Flash overall just hasn't been worth even close to what we're paying for him since the 2011-2012 season.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
Fleischmann: Need to play top 6, but arent good enought for that, drop him

Upshall: 4th line player, so if we could get him for 1,5M (wont happen) resign him, otherwise drop him.

Kopecky: Underrated 4th line player, great in PK, need to be resigned.

Bergenheim: Great 3rd line player, should be resigned 2,75-3M x2 (or 3)

O'Brien: Decent depth player (8th), and useful in SA, resign him if he agrees on a 2 way contract.

Ellis: Same, resign him with a 2 way contract for 1 season, and give Brittian one more year before going to AHL.

Butler: Same here resign with a 2 way contract. Important for SA.

Zanon: Dont know

Olson (Brett): Dont know

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
re-sign Bergy

re-sign Kopecky if he takes a pay cut

Upshall and Fleishmann have to go, Trocheck needs a permanent spot in the lineup, as does Pirri and maybe Howden (if he can stay healthy)

the rest don't matter

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
Huberdeau-Barkov-Boyes
Jokinen-Bjugstad-Hayes
Pirri-Bolland-?/Trocheck
Howden-MacKenzie-?
Thornton

Well put mate. As others have already said, we already carry 2 or 3 too many forwards, and now we wanna resign the old ones??!?! Fleisch, Kop, Berg and Up were all bought in here specifically to be a "bridge" for Tallons draft picks to build with. 4 years was a calculated choice; Hubs, Bjugs and Co are now sufficiently/adequately experienced to lead the team and theres also solid young depth behind them as well. The old UFAs time is up, they served their purpose, time to move on. I honestly cant believe this is even a conversation considering how much everyone hates that Pirri or Tro gets scratched every other game. How are Howden or Grimaldi gonna make the lineup? If we do need another UFA winger for some reason, sign a younger version, not the old-rehashed version. Especially Kopecky. My oh my this guy gets alot of credit for being a 3.25 mil non-physical 4th line winger playing hard in his UFA year. The only guy who I would entertain is Bergenheim, I really do like him, but as others have said, hes gonna be in demand and difficult to bring back. Upshall, good locker room guy, fine 3rd/4th liner but easily replaced and will be in demand.

Most likley scenario (to me) is that none are brought back, most money saved goes to our RFAs / Young Core,

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
We don't have as much nhl forward or defensive depth in the AHL as many think... maybe howden next year for a bottom 6 roll but that's all I can think know of... Grimaldi maybe in the top 6 but can't count in that yet... another year in ahl to dominate a bit or at least go ppg would benefit him... that's basically it... we need to sign 2 of these guys at least... haven't looked at other free agents available but I would overpay for berry to stay for sure... pirri looks pretty bad lately and trocheck has dine nothing lately so u can't count on permanent spots for them either...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad