Who stays and who goes?

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Dear Edmonton Fans,

No, we are not going to give you our best players for the bunch that you haven't won diddlysquat with over the last five years.

Please try Toronto instead.

Thank You,
Predator Nation

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Joke that we wouldn't do it, or joke if we did it? Fiala is still an unknown at the NHL level, but Yakupov, despite being a former first overall, has done nothing to warrant to return a potential top 6 winger and solid goalie prospect IMO.

a joke if we did it. Yakupov, exactly like you said, hasn't done anything to warrant a RD:1 #11 overall and a goalie prospect that should pass Hellberg and Mazanec. I'd rather go after ROR or someone of more need (i.e #1C) if we're going to package that maybe plus another piece.

We have an interesting offseason ahead of us.

also, what are y'all's thoughts on realistically trading Jones for a #1C and maybe another small piece and signing Andrej Sekera or a Mike Green? Just thoughts. Not much as far as top 4d men go that are available...but just throwing options out there to see what we think.

Last edited:

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Stålberg - .40 ppg
Cullen - .40 ppg
Beck - .26 ppg
Järnkrok - .24 ppg
Nystrom - .20 ppg
Bourque - .19 ppg
Gaustad - .19 ppg

Small sample size, but Stålberg was on pace for 42 goals over a 76 game AHL season. Watson scored 26 in 76 this season. I get that you don't like Stålberg, but he's a good 3rd line player that can step up to the 2nd line if needed. Between the high expectations and injury issues people seem to forget what kind of player Stålberg is. He's a fast skater that will forecheck, hit and chip in some goals (3rd line player).

BTW, Cullen was our highest scoring bottom six player but since I recall him playing in the top six some I'll ignore him. Since Cullen is out, our 2nd favorite whipping boy takes over the scoring lead in the bottom six, Järnkrok. Beck had two more points than Gaustad, so no... he did not lead the bottom six in scoring.

My bad, I said scoring, although I was writing about goal scoring - and it was Beck with a lousy 8 playing at least half his time on the 4th line that led our bottom dwellers, I mean bottom 6. Hence, my point about giving Watson a shot ..... And while I'm not sure I'd agree with the overall assessment of Stalberg, I'll concede the observation, but I'd still challenge the value of him at $3mil - we simply have to get more than 7G outta' that investment, and that's what he projected to for the year, after scoring only 8 last year. As I pointed out, we got that much outta' Beck for about a quarter of the salary.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I wanna add my opinion of signings/trades/etc.

UFA
Volchenkov - 1 year/possibly let walk
Franson - walk
Piskula - walk
Cullen - walk
Fisher - 2 yrs @ 3.5-4mil
Ribeiro - 2 yrs @4-4.5mil
Santorelli - walk

RFA
Jarnkrok - 2-3yrs @1-1.2mil (he's gotta start producing or he needs to go; put him in a package with Ellis for #1C)
Wilson - 4-5yrs @ 3.5-5mil
Smith - 4yrs @4-4.5mil
Bourque - walk
Beck - walk or sign 1yr

Tradeables
Nystrom - ship him out
Gaustad - probably keep him, but we do have an abundance of C's and no #1
Bartley - trade - but good for injury depth
Ellis - agreed. could be used in package for a #1 C (hate to seem him go though)
Watson - trade (i personally don't see a spot for him)
Sissons - trade (too many other prospects in the pipeline)

1st Call Ups/MIL guys that could make roster (in order)
1. Moses
2. Fiala
3. Arvidsson
4. Aberg

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

UFA
Franson - walk
Piskula - walk
Cullen - walk

Santorelli - walk

RFA
Jarnkrok - 2-3yrs @1-1.2mil (he's gotta start producing or he needs to go; put him in a package with Ellis for #1C)
Smith - 4yrs @4-4.5mil
Bourque - walk
Beck - walk or sign 1yr

Tradeables
Nystrom - ship him out
Ellis - agreed. could be used in package for a #1 C (hate to seem him go though)

1. Moses
2. Fiala
3. Arvidsson
4. Aberg

You don't think that they're going to want more do ya ? (Term & Money)

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
You don't think that they're going to want more do ya ? (Term & Money)

they may. Someone will offer Ribeiro 5-5.5 if we don't bring him back but I feel like Ribs wants to stay for his marriage sake and this is a place he proved he can make it happen.

Fisher would be the likely one to take the "hometown" discount.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

UFA
Franson - walk
Piskula - walk
Cullen - walk
Santorelli - walk

RFA
Smith - 4yrs @4-4.5mil
Bourque - walk
Beck - walk or sign 1yr

Tradeables
Nystrom - ship him out

1. Moses
2. Fiala
3. Arvidsson
4. Aberg
Who's going to trade a #1C for a #4 d-man and an offensively weak 3rd line center?

Last edited:

Preds1839

Feb 20, 2015
http://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-predators-ryan-ellis-and-nail-yakupov/

He thinks an Ellis for Yakupov straight up deal is possible. I think it would take more from us, but I would do it. I would throw in Watson or Sissons to make it work. He could turn into another dynamic forward under Lavi. That'll give us great depth a well.

Forsberg - Ribs - Neal
Smith - Fisher - Wilson
Yak - Jarnkrok - Moses/Fiala <---That could be a phenomenal/young 3rd line
Stalberg - Gaustad - Beck/Nystrom

Weber - Josi
Ekholm - Jones
Bartley - FA
FA/Volch

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
http://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-predators-ryan-ellis-and-nail-yakupov/

He thinks an Ellis for Yakupov straight up deal is possible. I think it would take more from us, but I would do it. I would throw in Watson or Sissons to make it work. He could turn into another dynamic forward under Lavi. That'll give us great depth a well.

Forsberg - Ribs - Neal
Smith - Fisher - Wilson
Yak - Jarnkrok - Moses/Fiala <---That could be a phenomenal/young 3rd line
Stalberg - Gaustad - Beck/Nystrom

Weber - Josi
Ekholm - Jones
Bartley - FA
FA/Volch

Not a fan personally. Preds have more than enough wings.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I like it even though we need a center more, Yak still has great potential and is a recent no.1 pick. If we can steal him away with just Ellis and he turns out like he's expected to then it's Forsberg for Erat all over again, plus it gives Jones the 2nd pairing spot permanently.

Going forward you could either have great wing depth and a great top 4, or you can package a winger with prospects and picks for a center. Just thinking.

I would be among those wanting to try Wilson/Forsberg out at center this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He thinks an Ellis for Yakupov straight up deal is possible.

:facepalm:

Maybe that was true before the Edmonton front office was pretty much completely redone, but I'm fairly certain Chia's going to hang on to the kid and see what he has before he does something that would on the surface appear seriously unbalanced against Edmonton.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
:facepalm:

Maybe that was true before the Edmonton front office was pretty much completely redone, but I'm fairly certain Chia's going to hang on to the kid and see what he has before he does something that would on the surface appear seriously unbalanced against Edmonton.

Is it really though? Yak had a decent first season, but has regressed in each of the next 2. You could argue that he's playing on a bad team, but that hasn't stopped Eberle from having 3 60+ point seasons, nor Hall from producing at a very good pace. Would Yak have all that much value if not for his draft position at this point?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Todd McLellan is different than the line of duds they have had on the bench in recent years. I doubt hey move Yak or any of there BIG name forwards. It is more likely They allow McLellan to fix the offense first while picking up stop gap players on the back end.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If they did make that trade, what would the lineup look like next season? It seems like that would pretty much put a nail in Fiala or Moses making the team. I think I'd probably look at shifting Wilson or Smith to center in that case and go with a lineup like this:

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Neal/Smith
Yakupov-Wilson-Smith/Neal
Jarnkrok-Fisher-...maybe Stalberg? Or if he can't cut it, maybe Fiala or Moses here although that would make the third line really small.

That could be interesting. Hm.

stupid forum

Feb 14, 2015
Let this team be as is and wait for the market opportunities. All serious movements already proposed look like just for shaking, not for real improving. This team can grow and can win. Lets guys just enjoy it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
While Jones being on the 3rd pairing is crazy depth on the blueline, it's not feasible long-term. Obviously. I think getting a pretty good forward for Ellis is more likely than getting an elite guy for Jones. I wouldn't be against Yakupov for Ellis but I'd like to get someone a little more proven. And a capable center. I think a good center for Ellis while bumping Jones to a permanent 2nd pairing spot is the best plan for us moving forward. It isn't as sexy as making a blockbuster deal for a #1C but you have to think long term.

It doesn't address the center issue but keeping a maturing Jones while Forsberg and Fiala continue to develop could become borderline unfair in the near future.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
While Jones being on the 3rd pairing is crazy depth on the blueline, it's not feasible long-term. Obviously. I think getting a pretty good forward for Ellis is more likely than getting an elite guy for Jones. I wouldn't be against Yakupov for Ellis but I'd like to get someone a little more proven. And a capable center. I think a good center for Ellis while bumping Jones to a permanent 2nd pairing spot is the best plan for us moving forward. It isn't as sexy as making a blockbuster deal for a #1C but you have to think long term.

It doesn't address the center issue but keeping a maturing Jones while Forsberg and Fiala continue to develop could become borderline unfair in the near future.

And Chicago having a Toews/Kane/Keith combo isn't unfair? It isn't unfair, it is needed.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't know if I should i write this here, because this belongs more to the offseason thread and this may sound like I'm just repeating what you have already said but I'm gonna just come out and say this. This is how I would handle things in the offseason and the upcoming season:

At the draft we must draft forwards with big size and centermans. We are pretty young on defense and our needs are at the other end of the ice. Packing Ellis, Smith and Jarnkrok is not gonna bring us a star center so I wouldn't do that. If we want to bring a legit, young(ish) #1C to town (RNH, Duchene, Couture, Johansen) we would have to give them Jones and I don't see that happening since Poile as our GM. If Ellis could fetch us a good 1-2 line forward I would take that trade in a heartbeat. Ellis is very good but he isn't irreplaceable. We still would have a good top-5 core in defense and we could sign a free agent in summer to fill that sixth spot. This could also work if we trade Jones. And we have to face the fact that we need a young center for our future and getting that is inevitable. Or instead we could ride with this core and see where it takes us.
OFFSEASON:

UFAS:
Ribeiro - 2yrs/3-4m
Fisher - 3yrs/3-4m
Volchenkov - 1yr/1m (better ufa market 2016)
Franson (possibly one year deal, who knows what might happen during offseason)
Cullen - walk
Santorelli - walk

RFAS:

Jarnkrok - 2yrs/1-1,5m
Wilson - 4-5yrs/4-5m
Smith - 4-5yrs/4-5m
Beck - 1yr/~0,750m
Bourque - walk ;(

WHAT WE NEED TO GET:

Depth players in forward section. As we don't have the leagues most talented #1C we need to be a good and deep team. We need three lines to contribute offensively night in night out. We were a two-line team in this season and it didn't get us far. We need one or two depth guys in our roster and I'm thinking guys like: Joel Ward, Drew Stafford, Chris Stewart and Matt Beleskey. I know they might cost a little extra because it is slim pickings in this summer. Let's get one or two players like those for 1-3yrs/3-4m.

Maybe a better backup goalie, just for the fact that our team looked a lot different this year with Hutton in the net. The team must have confidence to their goaltender and that certainly was not the case this season. Jonas Gustavsson, Thomas Greiss are available. Either a free agent or try Hellberg he looked very solid and could be our future no.1 goaltender.

NASHVILLE PREDATORS 2015-2016:

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Neal
Smith-Fisher/Wilson-xxx/Wilson
xxx-Fisher/Jarnkrok-Moses/Jarnkrok
Beck-Gaustad-Stalberg/Nystrom

Josi-Weber
Ekholm-Ellis
Volchenkov-Jones
Bartley

Rinne
Hutton/Hellberg/xxx

We now have three lines who can score in every game (something we lacked this season) and a very good shutdown line (they can all play PK and we don't actually need scoring from them). I would also try Wilson in C as he could be our future #1C and Fisher on the third line would improve that line's scoring significantly. We have a decent prospect pool but let's give them another year time to grow. We can ride with this roster and our young guns can come up time to time to replace injuries.

One of the best top 6's in the league with one pretty good d-man scratched.

One of the best goalies in the world and a solid backup who can jump out to play every night if necessary. This is important because Rinne is aging and we need to take weigh off him a bit more so he can rest and carry us to the Stanley Cup! :)

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't know if I should i write this here, because this belongs more to the offseason thread and this may sound like I'm just repeating what you have already said but I'm gonna just come out and say this. This is how I would handle things in the offseason and the upcoming season:

At the draft we must draft forwards with big size and centermans. We are pretty young on defense and our needs are at the other end of the ice. Packing Ellis, Smith and Jarnkrok is not gonna bring us a star center so I wouldn't do that. If we want to bring a legit, young(ish) #1C to town (RNH, Duchene, Couture, Johansen) we would have to give them Jones and I don't see that happening since Poile as our GM. If Ellis could fetch us a good 1-2 line forward I would take that trade in a heartbeat. Ellis is very good but he isn't irreplaceable. We still would have a good top-5 core in defense and we could sign a free agent in summer to fill that sixth spot. This could also work if we trade Jones. And we have to face the fact that we need a young center for our future and getting that is inevitable. Or instead we could ride with this core and see where it takes us.
OFFSEASON:

UFAS:
Ribeiro - 2yrs/3-4m
Fisher - 3yrs/3-4m
Volchenkov - 1yr/1m (better ufa market 2016)
Franson (possibly one year deal, who knows what might happen during offseason)
Cullen - walk
Santorelli - walk

RFAS:

Jarnkrok - 2yrs/1-1,5m
Wilson - 4-5yrs/4-5m
Smith - 4-5yrs/4-5m
Beck - 1yr/~0,750m
Bourque - walk ;(

WHAT WE NEED TO GET:

Depth players in forward section. As we don't have the leagues most talented #1C we need to be a good and deep team. We need three lines to contribute offensively night in night out. We were a two-line team in this season and it didn't get us far. We need one or two depth guys in our roster and I'm thinking guys like: Joel Ward, Drew Stafford, Chris Stewart and Matt Beleskey. I know they might cost a little extra because it is slim pickings in this summer. Let's get one or two players like those for 1-3yrs/3-4m.

Maybe a better backup goalie, just for the fact that our team looked a lot different this year with Hutton in the net. The team must have confidence to their goaltender and that certainly was not the case this season. Jonas Gustavsson, Thomas Greiss are available. Either a free agent or try Hellberg he looked very solid and could be our future no.1 goaltender.

NASHVILLE PREDATORS 2015-2016:

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Neal
Smith-Fisher/Wilson-xxx/Wilson
xxx-Fisher/Jarnkrok-Moses/Jarnkrok
Beck-Gaustad-Stalberg/Nystrom

Josi-Weber
Ekholm-Ellis
Volchenkov-Jones
Bartley

Rinne
Hutton/Hellberg/xxx

We now have three lines who can score in every game (something we lacked this season) and a very good shutdown line (they can all play PK and we don't actually need scoring from them). I would also try Wilson in C as he could be our future #1C and Fisher on the third line would improve that line's scoring significantly. We have a decent prospect pool but let's give them another year time to grow. We can ride with this roster and our young guns can come up time to time to replace injuries.

One of the best top 6's in the league with one pretty good d-man scratched.

One of the best goalies in the world and a solid backup who can jump out to play every night if necessary. This is important because Rinne is aging and we need to take weigh off him a bit more so he can rest and carry us to the Stanley Cup! :)

You have some good points but there are some flaws to this. First Riberio will probably want more term and $ I doubt he will settle for less then 4.5x4. Second and most important is the gap to the cap right now there roughly 28.5 below the cap if you add Moses to the lineup with the midpoint of what you think wach player will sign for its roughly 22 mil of the 28 mil not bad we say. Well that does not include Franson which would be at least 4 mil more so that puts it at 26. Still under the cap but the problem is next season, When you need to sign Jones, Ekholm, And Moses, Goose or a replacement Bartley or a replacement and a back-up goalie. If the cap can make it to 70 which is in doubt you only have about 10 mil to the cap next year to get all that done. Something is gonna have to give somewhere.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Answer to the first reply: Yes, the cap will be tight but first of all I think Goose will give us a huge discount. I think we could sign him around 2yrs/1,75-2m and he can retire as a Predator. We can sign Jones to a bridge deal and the price will not rise too high. We'll have to sign Ekholm but I don't think he will demand more than 2,5-3m. By the time you mentioned we have our young guys stepping up and they are on cheap contracts. Plus Poile is a smart GM I know he will find a way to keep us under the cap and competetive as well.

Answer to the second reply: That trade value-wise is good if you can get it straight up. Although Wennberg hasn't proved a lot in the NHL yet, I think he would be an effective #1-2C in the future. I still wouldn't take the trade, if we trade Ellis we have to get a player who can chip in offensively right away. I see a huge potential in Wennberg but as of right now I don't think he would help us getting further. I hate to admit it but this team's window to winning is 2-3yrs. We have a great future ahead of us but our star players (Rinne, Weber, Ribeiro, Fisher) are aging and that is inevitable. Wennberg is an upgrade to the future but we need an upgrade to the present. Still I wouldn't close out trading Ellis if the return is exactly what we need.

Also thank you so much :). I'm really excited to join because I'm a huge hockey fan and especially a huge Preds fan and I watch almost every game even though the games almost always come in the middle of the night :D. I live in Finland so I can't follow Preds as close as you guys but I promise that I will be an active writer especially here in the Preds section.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad