Who stays and who goes?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Im not keen pickin up Yak at all. If you look at the first 3 years of Yak, Smith and Wilson there is not much difference. And we need upgrades over Wilson and Smith. Saros could be the replacement for Rinne down the road and Fiala has potential to be as good or better than FF9.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Im not keen pickin up Yak at all. If you look at the first 3 years of Yak, Smith and Wilson there is not much difference. And we need upgrades over Wilson and Smith. Saros could be the replacement for Rinne down the road and Fiala has potential to be as good or better than FF9.
We seem to differ on a lot of topics but I agree with every letter of this.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

We seem to differ on a lot of topics but I agree with every letter of this.
That's where I am as well. Paying a premium for potential on a player that has been underwhelming at the NHL level. I'm sure the talent is there, but that isn't exactly a "buying low" package from our end.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If we could get Yak for something like Ellis I'd probably do it, but anything bigger and I'd pass.

I'm not even sure I would do that. Ellis is here on a good contract, and if you trade him you pretty much have decided you aren't trading Jones. Basically I see it as you can trade one or the other but not both.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Yakupov has name power but I think we could get more actual production than him if we were going to trade Ellis for a guy.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
UFA
Anton Volchenkov - Walk
Cody Franson - Walk
Joe Piskula - Resign for AHL depth
Matt Cullen - Walk
Mike Fisher - Resign
Mike Ribiero - Resign
Mike Santorelli - Walk

RFA
Calle Jarnkrok - Resign
Collin Wilson - Resign
Craig Smith - Resign
Gab Bourque - Resign/Tradebait
Taylor Beck - Resign/Tradebait

Tradeable
Eric Nystrom - Good team guy and adds some toughness (Keep unless there's a package deal)
Paul Gaustad - Perfect 4th line center (Keep)
Victor Bartley - Low value but good 7th dman (Keep unless there's a package deal)
Victor Stålberg - Perfect 3rd line winger (Keep)
Ryan Ellis - Steal of a contract (Keep)

Possible coming in:
Fiala - Could see him starting in MIL
Moses - One way contract so unless he's horrible, he's in
Watson - Call up option or tradebait
Sissons - Call up option or tradebait
Arvidsson - Solid call up option
Ã…berg - Needs more time in MIL
Bitetto - Better options available but should be in MIL

van22

May 25, 2014
^
Watson and Bitetto will now have to go through waivers to be sent down - could possibly influence their situation. Both are RFA too.
Hellberg is also RFA but won't require waivers before 2016/17.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If no moves are made:

Forsberg Ribeiro Neal
Wilson Fisher Smith
Stalberg/Fiala Jarnkrok Moses
Nystrom Gaustad Beck

I'm not sure how gutsy Poile is going to get. But here's what i hope. I hope to see either nystrom or Stalberg gone. I'll take a 5th round draft pick or less for em. Neither provide anything that couldn't be provided by beck, bourque, or a pickup like glencross or a callup like fiala/arvidsson/kamenev/aberg/etc. I'd also like to see ellis/Jones traded for an upgrade at center. Jones for couture is floated around alot on the trade boards. so we'd end up with something like

Forsberg Couture Neal
Wilson Ribeiro Smith
Fiala/Jarnkrok/Glencross Fisher Moses
Bourque Gaustad Beck

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If Poile can move Watson in a deal of any magnitude at all I'll give him props. Don't see how any team can really value him very much right now.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
If Poile can move Watson in a deal of any magnitude at all I'll give him props. Don't see how any team can really value him very much right now.

A 4th/5th would be nice. But I could see him thrown into a bigger deal, he's worth a shot on a team like Carolina.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have a sneaking suspicion only one of Wilson and Smith will be back for next season with both now arbitration-eligible. That never goes well for this organization and its player relations. The one who does return gets a big contract, though; the other is probably a piece (along with Jones or Ellis) in a deal to get us a center.

With so many smaller players coming in, we need bigger forwards now more than ever, so Gaustad and Beck are probably safe where they are. I'd give Beck a two-year deal and see if he develops into anything more.

I'd also like to see Jarnkrok on a two-year contract. I'm not totally convinced he's a long-term solution at center, but I know the coaches love him, so give him some job security and let him make a good case for himself. Bourque I could take or leave, because clearing him out gives a chance for the younger players in Milwaukee (Watson, Salomaki, and Sissons in particular) to crack the NHL, but he shouldn't be prohibitively expensive, so I don't mind if he comes back.

Cullen walks. I think he retires; he was visibly running out of gas at season's end. Franson sounds like he wants to go back to Toronto to sit on the bench for 50 minutes a night play for Babcock. I don't see much reason to make him an offer based on his form after the trade. Santorelli can't get out of here fast enough. Volchenkov is a coin flip for me, but the team needs a defenseman other than Weber who will go out and physically punish people. That probably saves Nystrom's job, too.

I'm really on the fence about Stalberg. I'm not convinced he's going to come back and be better, and I'm definitely not convinced we couldn't use that spot on a young player like Fiala (admittedly conceding a lot of size there) or a net presence forward to improve the power play. Money is no object with nearly $30M in cap space, but with so many other players in the mix, I think he gets lost in the shuffle because he doesn't really specialize in anything: he played 96 seconds total of special teams time in 25 games.

This is where GMs make the real money. This team is already pretty good; now it has to be better. I'd say our shopping list is a first line center, a veteran RHD to replace Jones or Ellis, and another defenseman to bolster the team's depth (maybe this could be Bitetto or Aronson?) in that order.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
A 4th/5th would be nice. But I could see him thrown into a bigger deal, he's worth a shot on a team like Carolina.

How about Watson + 55th Pick to move up a little bit in the draft? Would this be enough to move Nashville into the 31-40 range?

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
How friendly of a contract do you think Fisher gives us? Does he want fair market value of will he provide a bit of a discount to help give us money to go after needs?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
How friendly of a contract do you think Fisher gives us? Does he want fair market value of will he provide a bit of a discount to help give us money to go after needs?
He won't be cheap but I think he'll be fair. Neither him or Carrie are probably big on the thought of him leaving Nashville I assume. For the sake of both of them it has to simply be easier for his job to be here. I expect Poile will be fair to him and for him to be fair to us.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Volchenkov is a coin flip for me, but the team needs a defenseman other than Weber who will go out and physically punish people. That probably saves Nystrom's job, too.

I'm really on the fence about Stalberg. I'm not convinced he's going to come back and be better, and I'm definitely not convinced we couldn't use that spot on a young player like Fiala (admittedly conceding a lot of size there) or a net presence forward to improve the power play. Money is no object with nearly $30M in cap space, but with so many other players in the mix, I think he gets lost in the shuffle because he doesn't really specialize in anything: he played 96 seconds total of special teams time in 25 games.

Nystrom - 1.73 hits per game
Stålberg - 2.16 hits per game (not including 31 hits in 6 playoff games)

I'm one of the few who don't mind Nystrom on the 4th line, but Stålberg played well towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in gold next season.

Needs as of right now are a #1 center and a physical LHD that won't throw players into Rinne on a constant basis.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Nystrom - 1.73 hits per game
Stålberg - 2.16 hits per game (not including 31 hits in 6 playoff games)

I'm one of the few who don't mind Nystrom on the 4th line, but Stålberg played well towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind seeing him back in gold next season.

Needs as of right now are a #1 center and a physical LHD that won't throw players into Rinne on a constant basis.

Sekera would have solved one of those needs

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sekera would have solved one of those needs

The question is who do we sign?

Which of the UFA D are LD? Ehrhoff, Sekera, Martin, Visnovsky, Beauchemin, Oduya, Erskine, Meszaros, Hejda, Jackman, Bartkowski it looks like.

Obviously I'd like to see someone like Sekera/Beauchemin/Ehrhoff, but it wouldn't be surprising to see Poile sign someone like Hejda or Erskine.

Perhaps a trade for Brandon Gormley?

Hopefully we just keep with giving 1 year contracts, the 2016 D market looks to be better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad