Who stays and who goes?

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Season didn't end the way I would have liked, but was not sure what to expect with a new HC and several new additions. The way we finished the regular season was disheartening but I thought we fought very well against those BHawks.

Now with our season done for, what or who do we think will be here for next season?

Here are the list's of UFA's, RFA's and some possible trade guys with my thoughts.

UFA
Anton Volchenkov - Trade rights or just let walk
Cody Franson - Trade rights or let walk
Joe Piskula -
Matt Cullen - Trade to Minn for draft pick
Mike Fisher - resign 3 yr 3-4m per
Mike Ribiero - resign 2 yr 4m per
Mike Santorelli - Trade rights or let walk

RFA
Calle Jarnkrok - resign 2-3 yr 1m per
Collin Wilson - resign 3-4 yr 4m per (or use in a trade to get #1C)
Craig Smith - resign 3-4 yr 4m per (or use in a trade to get #1C)
Gab Bourque - not sure, probably use in a trade
Taylor Beck - Prob use in a trade

Tradeable
Eric Nystrom
Paul Gaustad - we have an abundance of C's
Victor Bartley
Victor Stalberg - I think turned a corner at end of season
Ryan Ellis - use in a trade to get #1C

With what we have in Milwaukee and other places we need to move some people out.

Possible coming in:
Fiala
Moses
Watson
Sissons
Arvidsson
Aberg
Bitetto

I see next season as a BIG year for the Preds!

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
Other than the (or trade in order to get #1C) I think you are spot on. I agree those are pieces that could be used. Just don't have faith that anything gets done with them.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't think Nystrom and Stalberg are really tradeable assets.

Think all the UFAs except Ribs, Fisher and perhaps Franson (ewww) are gone. Wouldn't mind Volchenkov coming back. We will get nothing for the "rights" to any of those players.

One of Bourque or Beck, or possibly both, will probably not be retained (unless Poile is willing to lose them to waivers during the course of next season). Too many prospects needing a shot at the roster, let alone any potential UFAs or trade acquisitions (not that the UFA class is all that impressive).

X=prospect or new acquisition

Neal-Ribs-Forsberg
Wilson-Fisher-Smith/Fiala/X
Smith/Fiala/Stalberg/X-Jarnkrok-Bourque/Stalberg/X
Nystrom-Goose-Beck/Clune/X

Josi-Weber
Ekholm-Ellis
Volchenkov/Franson/X-Jones

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I don't think Nystrom and Stalberg are really tradeable assets.

Think all the UFAs except Ribs, Fisher and perhaps Franson (ewww) are gone. Wouldn't mind Volchenkov coming back. We will get nothing for the "rights" to any of those players.

One of Bourque or Beck, or possibly both, will probably not be retained (unless Poile is willing to lose them to waivers during the course of next season). Too many prospects needing a shot at the roster, let alone any potential UFAs or trade acquisitions (not that the UFA class is all that impressive).

X=prospect or new acquisition

Neal-Ribs-Forsberg
Wilson-Fisher-Smith/Fiala/X
Smith/Fiala/Stalberg/X-Jarnkrok-Bourque/Stalberg/X
Nystrom-Goose-Beck/Clune/X

Josi-Weber
Ekholm-Ellis
Volchenkov/Franson/X-Jones

Hoorah for standing pat and not doing what it takes to get the right player's to actually transform this team into a legit contender (playing the Offer Sheet game would be nice with the Kings (in cap hell)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Hoorah for standing pat and not doing what it takes to get the right player's to actually transform this team into a legit contender (playing the Offer Sheet game would be nice with the Kings (in cap hell)

The one Quote Poile has put out since the end of the season. " I like how this team is put together now". Duke is pretty much spot on how it will be opening day unless Poile can't sign Fish or Riberio. Any moves he makes will be minor from his comments. And also realize that when he did make a big move he brought in Hendrix, Cullen and Nystrom thats a big move for him.

Of course this team needs some upgrades we all can see that but I do not see that comin not unless something happens to change Poiles mind.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011

The biggest offer sheet we could send is $3,652,659. I'll assume we're targeting Toffoli. LA won't let Toffoli walk for a 2nd. They'd find a way to clear salary to match, and probably send us a fruit basket as a thank you. None of that matters anyways, Poile is not the offer sheet type of GM and I'm sure there's GMs who would send a larger offer sheet, which we can't.

Edit: After thinking about it, I'm pretty sure any offer sheet would use our 2016 picks so we could offer more... But I still don't see it happening.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The one Quote Poile has put out since the end of the season. " I like how this team is put together now". Duke is pretty much spot on how it will be opening day unless Poile can't sign Fish or Riberio. Any moves he makes will be minor from his comments. And also realize that when he did make a big move he brought in Hendrix, Cullen and Nystrom thats a big move for him.

Of course this team needs some upgrades we all can see that but I do not see that comin not unless something happens to change Poiles mind.
Or the right players become available. I'd like to see us take a sincere run at Staal if Carolina is ready to change directions, but I'm not sure that's the case.

I'm just not sure what people's expectations are sometimes Byrd. It's nice to talk up the offer sheet game, but we'd be making ourselves nice and vulnerable for a reciprocating Forsberg/Jones offer sheet in a couple years. The UFA class is garbage. Unless we're wanting Poile to go out and spend money on another Hendricks, Cullen, and Nystrom, the only building is likely to come from a trade or promoting prospects.

Last edited:

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
Or the right players become available. I'd like to see us take a sincere run at Staal if Carolina is ready to change directions, but I'm not sure that's the case.

I'm just not sure what people's expectations are sometimes Byrd. It's nice to talk up the offer sheet game, but we'd be making ourselves nice and vulnerable for a reciprocating Forsberg/Jones offer sheet in a couple years. The UFA class is garbage. Unless we're wanting Poile to go out and spend money on another Hendricks, Cullen, and Nystrom, the only building is likely to come from a trade or promoting prospects.

My expectations are for Poile to at least make it seem like he's interested in making the team better. I'm not looking to get on a Poile bashing rant, but the guy seems to rarely make any splashes in FA or at the trade deadline. The UFA class is garbage this year, so I don't expect him to magically sign a guy not available. But as you stated, why not go after Staal or any other big name? I think we have several pieces that could be used to aquire Staal at least. There are other players on my wish list, as I'm sure everyone else does too. But how many fans actually feel like Poile will ever go for the big trade or big FA signing of a wish list player, not past their prime? This guy certainly doesn't feel it will happen.

As a fan, I should be able to look at the trade rumors board, agree with proposals (some that seem like obvious fits) and believe there could be even a small chance DP is thinking the same thing. But his comments almost every off season lead me to believe he's golfing or doing whatever else he enjoys away from work. Love our team, look forward to the future, but not optimistic we ever get a Cup with DP as GM.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
My expectations are for Poile to at least make it seem like he's interested in making the team better. I'm not looking to get on a Poile bashing rant, but the guy seems to rarely make any splashes in FA or at the trade deadline. The UFA class is garbage this year, so I don't expect him to magically sign a guy not available. But as you stated, why not go after Staal or any other big name? I think we have several pieces that could be used to aquire Staal at least. There are other players on my wish list, as I'm sure everyone else does too. But how many fans actually feel like Poile will ever go for the big trade or big FA signing of a wish list player, not past their prime? This guy certainly doesn't feel it will happen.

As a fan, I should be able to look at the trade rumors board, agree with proposals (some that seem like obvious fits) and believe there could be even a small chance DP is thinking the same thing. But his comments almost every off season lead me to believe he's golfing or doing whatever else he enjoys away from work. Love our team, look forward to the future, but not optimistic we ever get a Cup with DP as GM.
Fair enough. I like the way the team is shaping up, even knowing we still have some holes to fill. To each his own though. I don't think your expectations are all that unreasonable really, but some of the belly aching about offer sheets and #1 centers (there's been, what, one legit #1 center moved in the last few years...who we didn't have the assets to trade for either?) is unrealistic IMO.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
And also realize that when he did make a big move he brought in Hendrix, Cullen and Nystrom thats a big move for him.

That was under old coach Grinder/Defense minded BT, I don't think HCPL would allow GMDP to go after those type of players with this new style of play. I think HCPL will have a lot of say in who we go after. JMHO

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
MIN won't trade anything for Cullen .... he's already said if he continues playing it will be close to home ... READ: MIN

I, too, wish Poile would throw an offer sheet ... not only to attempt to acquire a player but to make it tougher on a team cap-wise. However, he's on record as not being a fan of the offer sheet; so, very doubtful he'd use this tool.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
MIN won't trade anything for Cullen .... he's already said if he continues playing it will be close to home ... READ: MIN

I, too, wish Poile would throw an offer sheet ... not only to attempt to acquire a player but to make it tougher on a team cap-wise. However, he's on record as not being a fan of the offer sheet; so, very doubtful he'd use this tool.
It would also make it tougher on us cap wise. Assuming we are 28M below the cap right now, and make the following signings/add the following players:
Fish $4M
Ribs $4M
Wilson $3.5M
Smith $3.5M
Jarnkrok $1.5M
6th d-man $1.5M
Beck $1M
Moses $1M
Fiala $925k

That's a little over $20M in cap space. Now add a Tarasenko/Toffoli at a cost that would make them sign the offer sheet...let's just go low and say $7M/$6M respectively. You now have $1M-$2M in cap space, with Jones and Forsberg likely both commanding raises next off-season, and Fiala a couple after. You also still don't have a #1C.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I did some more in depth reading seeing the topic of the thread and the salary projections that someone posted early. I have to think this one thing holding GM's back right now from getting extensions done. The cap Bettman in Dec at the BOG predicted that it would be 72.2 mil if the Can. Dollar remained at the .82 exchange rate that is not going to happen right now best case I the cap to remain unchanged. Some of the predictions

CIBC World Markets sees It at .77. RBC Dominion predics.75 and Morgan Stanley .71. in this range the cap is going to be 69 mil at the top end 67.2 on the low end. So from Bettmans 72.2 prediction to Morgan Stanley 67.2 mil cap. Now its all tied to the value of the Canadian dollar mainly because of the TV contract between the NHL and Rogers Sports being in Canadian dollars a big bulk of NHL revenue and all expenses in US.
dollars

What does this mean or he Preds who have 10 contracts they need to address or better yet positions they are right now 28.8 under the 69 mil cap if it can hold at that. Ribs, Fish, Wilson, Smith, Beck and Jarnkrok will be considered to be reigned for a given amount. Leaving 4 more warm bodys to sign for this season. Followed up by next season having to sign FF9 Jones,Ekholm, Goose and Bartley or her replacements. We know a few things also Poile will not spend to the cap. We are in alot better shape than a bunch teams and here could well be some nice players available or that reason. So is Poile being cautious due to Cap I think so can he be tempted to pick up some players that are needed again I hope so. But history says he will b cautious.

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
Fair enough. I like the way the team is shaping up, even knowing we still have some holes to fill. To each his own though. I don't think your expectations are all that unreasonable really, but some of the belly aching about offer sheets and #1 centers (there's been, what, one legit #1 center moved in the last few years...who we didn't have the assets to trade for either?) is unrealistic IMO.

I like our team and with the emergence of FF9 I think fans can be excited that we finally have a young star foward. I think we will be fine moving into next season and who knows what will happen between now and then.

The offer sheet route sounds risky and even if Poile would do it, there would be fans unhappy about him pulling the trigger. I'm neutral either way, but worrying about what other GM's might do a year or two from now is a risk I'd personally be willing to take. Did we ever retaliate for the Weber offer sheet? Talk is cheap and at the end of the day it's a business. Doubt it ever happens, but either way I just love to see him be aggressive if only for one or two moves to push our team to a new level. Don't care if it's via offer sheet, trade, etc. Just swing for the fences. If he lands us missing pieces or gets our roster upgrades, fantastic. If he pushes and gets knocked down, I can live with the fact that hockey is a complicated business.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we need to make a big move right now. If a 1C comes available for the right price, great. But I don't know if, just because we lost to Chicago, that this team needs major retooling at this point.

The window for this team is just opening, and we've got reinforcements on the way from the farm. I can't remember the last time we had so many young players with bright futures.

Yeah, losing to Chicago sucked, but that's the nature of the playoffs. We weren't blown off the ice. A couple of bounces here and there and we're playing Anaheim right now.

I'd make a few tweaks - find a better 6th D to play with Jones on the 3rd pair (Volchenkov was meh and Franson was a disaster). We need to find a more competent backup than Hutton, to take some pressure off Rinne later in the season, and keep him fresher and healthier.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If I was the head coach (and thank God I'm not, because I don't know enough about hockey strategy to be coaching a team of mites) I'd be considering moving Wilson or Smith (probably Wilson) to center next season and going with this lineup:

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Neal
Fiala/Moses-Wilson-Smith
Jarnkrok-Fisher-Stalberg/Fiala/Moses/whoever
Bourque-Gaustad-Beck

If Wilson can hold down a second-line center position that opens up room in the top six for one of the skilled youngsters. It also moves Fisher down to the third line, bumps Jarnkrok to wing, and should DRASTICALLY improve third-line scoring. If Moses or Fiala can't handle a top six winger position, try Jarnkrok there - he has a very high IQ and is positionally sound, and moving him to the wing as more of a setup man might take a little pressure off him.

It gives a better balance of size and speed as well. Neal is big and can provide a physical presence for the first line. Wilson and Smith have good size on line 2. Fisher can be a wrecking ball when he wants to on line 3, and if Stalberg is the other wing he can fly and he has good size as well. Gaustad and Beck have good size on line 4, and Beck and Bourque make that a much speedier line than otherwise. If Nystrom bumps one of those two out of the lineup, so be it.

Anyway, that's just a thought. Wilson has looked decent in very limited runs at center. If he could be the answer in a top six role at the position it would open up some possibilities.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If I was the head coach (and thank God I'm not, because I don't know enough about hockey strategy to be coaching a team of mites) I'd be considering moving Wilson or Smith (probably Wilson) to center next season and going with this lineup:

Forsberg-Ribeiro-Neal
Fiala/Moses-Wilson-Smith
Jarnkrok-Fisher-Stalberg/Fiala/Moses/whoever
Bourque-Gaustad-Beck

If Wilson can hold down a second-line center position that opens up room in the top six for one of the skilled youngsters. It also moves Fisher down to the third line, bumps Jarnkrok to wing, and should DRASTICALLY improve third-line scoring. If Moses or Fiala can't handle a top six winger position, try Jarnkrok there - he has a very high IQ and is positionally sound, and moving him to the wing as more of a setup man might take a little pressure off him.

It gives a better balance of size and speed as well. Neal is big and can provide a physical presence for the first line. Wilson and Smith have good size on line 2. Fisher can be a wrecking ball when he wants to on line 3, and if Stalberg is the other wing he can fly and he has good size as well. Gaustad and Beck have good size on line 4, and Beck and Bourque make that a much speedier line than otherwise. If Nystrom bumps one of those two out of the lineup, so be it.

Anyway, that's just a thought. Wilson has looked decent in very limited runs at center. If he could be the answer in a top six role at the position it would open up some possibilities.

I like this idea a lot. To expand, I'd like to see Forsberg shift to center as well if Ribeiro doesn't resign or in a couple years for a center depth of:
Forsberg
Wilson
Fisher/Jarnkrok
Gaustad

Gaustad would be able to help fine tune both of them at draws, and it opens up spots for some of the forwards in Milwaukee.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Season didn't end the way I would have liked, but was not sure what to expect with a new HC and several new additions. The way we finished the regular season was disheartening but I thought we fought very well against those BHawks.

Now with our season done for, what or who do we think will be here for next season?

Here are the list's of UFA's, RFA's and some possible trade guys with my thoughts.

UFA
Anton Volchenkov - Trade rights or just let walk
Cody Franson - Trade rights or let walk
Joe Piskula -
Matt Cullen - Trade to Minn for draft pick
Mike Fisher - resign 3 yr 3-4m per
Mike Ribiero - resign 2 yr 4m per
Mike Santorelli - Trade rights or let walk

RFA
Calle Jarnkrok - resign 2-3 yr 1m per
Collin Wilson - resign 3-4 yr 4m per (or use in a trade to get #1C)
Craig Smith - resign 3-4 yr 4m per (or use in a trade to get #1C)
Gab Bourque - not sure, probably use in a trade
Taylor Beck - Prob use in a trade

Tradeable
Eric Nystrom
Paul Gaustad - we have an abundance of C's
Victor Bartley
Victor Stalberg - I think turned a corner at end of season
Ryan Ellis - use in a trade to get #1C

With what we have in Milwaukee and other places we need to move some people out.

Possible coming in:
Fiala
Moses
Watson
Sissons
Arvidsson
Aberg
Bitetto

I see next season as a BIG year for the Preds!

Posted this in your Saros thread:
I have a random deal that I'd like your opinion on. This assumes Saros will sign a deal, of course. (Am trying to vet a crazy 3-way deal with OIL. Would you consider trading:

Jones + Fiala + Saros (assuming he will sign with the Sharks) and your 2nd for Couture + Yakupov?

Gives you a young 1C and a former 1st overall wing to build your future team with. At the cost of a future #1D, two excellent prospects and a late 2nd.... Thoughts on value? Does it fit your needs?

Any thoughts?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Posted this in your Saros thread:

Any thoughts?
Jones+ for Couture tends to be a proposal that many Preds and Sharks fans have some sense of agreement on.

Fiala+Saros for Yakupov is more value than I'd be willing to part with, regardless of Yakupov's draft pedigree and potential. I'm not sure how many Preds fans would agree to Fiala for Yakupov straight up, to be honest, as ludicrous as that may sound to some.

Last edited:

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Jones+ for Couture tends to be a proposal that many Preds and Sharks fans have some sense of agreement on.

Fiala+Saros for Yakupov is more value than I'd be willing to part with, regardless of Yakupov's draft pedigree and potential. I'm not sure how many Preds fans would agree to Fiala for Yakupov straight up, to be honestm as ludicrous as that may sound to some.

Agreed. If there's a deal there, its around Jones and Couture, not throwing Fiala, Saros, and Yakupov in the mix.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Yakupov is talented, and although I know Edmonton has issues....that's an understatement for the ages...., but I don't want to give up an 18 year old who has significant upside for a guy who averaged 0.45 PPG in his first 3 seasons (nearly 200 games). I have a strong belief that we should hold onto Fiala for awhile.

Much less adding Saros to that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad