Who should we target during the summer?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I don't think I'd offer vanek a multi year contract at 7-8million. I don't think it's a good idea at all.

i think as an organization developing talent, we should surround Galchenyuk with the best players. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Gorges, Desharnais are entering their prime. Vanek is only 30 same with Plekanec. Markov and Gionta are like 35 so we can still keep a competitive team and develop like Detroit. No need to rebuild the way NYI, Edmonton who forgot to surround young talents with veterans. Gionta, Bourque, Murray, Boullion, Parros should come off the books.

I think Emelin should be moved to save $4.1 million

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
For dmen we should consider including Emelin in a package for a RHD, Tyler Myers perhaps

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Myers
Tinordi-Pateryn
????-Weaver
As for forwards if we fail to resign Vanek(I hope we can get a deal done), get rid of Bourque some how and get Gaborik

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gaborik
Bournival-Eller-Gio/Briere
Prust-White-Weise

Gaborik would be a good target because we need a top 6 RW more then we do a LW. Moulson is iffy because he is more of a complementary player to put along a with a good player, he wouldn't get that with the habs.

habitue*

i think as an organization developing talent, we should surround Galchenyuk with the best players. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Gorges, Desharnais are entering their prime. Vanek is only 30 same with Plekanec. Markov and Gionta are like 35 so we can still keep a competitive team and develop like Detroit. No need to rebuild the way NYI, Edmonton who forgot to surround young talents with veterans. Gionta, Bourque, Murray, Boullion, Parros should come off the books.

I think Emelin should be moved to save $4.1 million

No need to save money. The cap is up.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
For dmen we should consider including Emelin in a package for a RHD, Tyler Myers perhaps

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Myers
Tinordi-Pateryn
????-Weaver
As for forwards if we fail to resign Vanek(I hope we can get a deal done), get rid of Bourque some how and get Gaborik

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gaborik
Bournival-Eller-Gio/Briere
Prust-White-Weise

Gaborik would be a good target because we need a top 6 RW more then we do a LW. Moulson is iffy because he is more of a complementary player to put along a with a good player, he wouldn't get that with the habs.

I would rather have Moulson than Gaborik in this stage. Gaborik is an injury prone and will play like 20-30 games a season. He's a perimeter player now, doesn't crash the net with speed like he used to. Moulson on the other hand can stand in front of the net, which is where he gets most of his goals. He's got good tipping hands like Tomas Holstrom if you recall. I wouldn't say Moulson is a complementary player, he still produces in Buffalo playing with players no where near John Tavares talent.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I think this off season could be a good time to buy low on Chris Stewart. He's really good every second year and he'll be coming off his down year. Top six forward one year, big body presence for the bottom six the next.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
I would rather have Moulson than Gaborik in this stage. Gaborik is an injury prone and will play like 20-30 games a season. He's a perimeter player now, doesn't crash the net with speed like he used to. Moulson on the other hand can stand in front of the net, which is where he gets most of his goals. He's got good tipping hands like Tomas Holstrom if you recall. I wouldn't say Moulson is a complementary player, he still produces in Buffalo playing with players no where near John Tavares talent.

But Moulson is a Left Wing, and by acquiring him you push Galchenyuk
down the depth chart and give him less time to develop into the player we know he can become.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
I think this off season could be a good time to buy low on Chris Stewart. He's really good every second year and he'll be coming off his down year. Top six forward one year, big body presence for the bottom six the next.

I feel we would end up regretting that, he doesn't have the compete and intensity and isn't even producing this year.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011

The thing is I would love to have Chris Stewart too. The one that plays hard and drives to the net. However with that said, Stewart doesn't give 100% every night. He doesn't give 100% 60 games out of 82 games. Think a more talented Rene Bourque and Chris Stewart is what you get.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
But Moulson is a Left Wing, and by acquiring him you push Galchenyuk
down the depth chart and give him less time to develop into the player we know he can become.

I think MT and Bergy plans to protect Galchenyuk for the first 2 years. They will move him to his natural position center. He played center his career, he only played LW his first two NHL years. Moulson and Galchenyuk will be like Moulson and Tavares.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
There isn't and you're overemphasizing the importance of the position a player plays. Especially from one wing to the other. Obviously, a winger playing center requires a massive adjustment but a center playing wing and a winger switching side requires minimal adjustment.

Very much not true. That's why it's a big deal when guys get post-season all-star votes outside of their natural positions. Guys who play on that level are almost 100% left/kept wherever they started (and usually stay) the most productive and comfortable. But you don't have to listen to me, Vanek said basically the same thing just days ago. Executing every breakout on your backhand as opposed to your forehand, just for one example, takes WAY more adjustment than I think you're aware of. Cycling the puck, for another, becomes a different monster, too, especially in the offensive zone where you can only move the puck backwards on the forehand if you want to protect the puck with your body instead of bringing it toward the middle. There's a lot of adjustment involved if you're talking about excelling at the position as opposed to just "making due" while someone's injured, or whatever.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
that's the roster I'd go with next year

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Sven Andrighetto ($0.633m)
Michael Bournival ($0.660m) / Lars Eller ($2.000m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Dale Weise ($1.000m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Matt Niskanen ($6.500m)
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) / P.K. Subban ($8.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Greg Pateryn ($1.000m)
Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m) / Douglas Murray ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,748,333; BONUSES: $3,374,167
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,351,667

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

And if we wanna keep Vanek it could look like this

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Thomas Vanek ($8.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Michael Bournival ($0.660m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Lars Eller ($2.000m) / Sven Andrighetto ($0.633m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Dale Weise ($1.000m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m) / Matt Niskanen ($6.500m)
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) / P.K. Subban ($8.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Greg Pateryn ($1.000m)
Douglas Murray ($1.000m) / Deryk Engelland ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,348,333; BONUSES: $3,374,167
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,751,667

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The guy will be 43... And when he's gonna drop, he gonna drop sharply.

Too bad. but too late.

He will certainly drop off at some point. However he has a genius hockey IQ and 20+ years experience.

Further, he is one of the fittest players due to his insane off-game workouts.

It's rare for players to play well into their forties, but hardly unheard of.

Having said that, I was thrilled by the prospect of signing him when he returned to the NHL. He's still interesting, but less so now than then.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I hope we don't target Callahan unless he signs for less than 6 mil. He's barely a 20 goal scorer and will be getting worse.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
to all the habs fans who thought they were contenders, welcome to the real habs without Price. This team would be fighting the Sabres for top pick without Price. Crappy coaches, crappy team. Next we will see Galchenyuk and Gallagher on the fourth line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad