Who should we target during the summer?

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Now that the trade deadline is over, all we can do is hope for the (cup) best.

Are there any UFA this year that is / are appealing?

I'm assuming that Murray, Bouillon, Drewiske and Weaver (maybe not him) will be most likely gone next year. Therefor, I believe Pateryn (RHD) and one of Tinordi and Beaulieu will be added to the roster as well. I also believe that Gionta could be replaced by Sven Andrighetto. I mean, they're the same size and this is the only logical option. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, we have Briere, Prust, Moen, Bourque, White, Weise and Bournival (Parros will be gone for sure) as bottom 6 players... other than Bourque, who should be get rid of?

If we go with depth (I'll only do it with forwards):

Left wing: Pacioretty - Galchenyuk (he shouldn't be here though) - Moen - Bourque

Right wing: Vanek - Gallagher - Weise (if he's signed)

Center: Desharnais - Plekanec - Galchenyuk - Eller - Briere - White - Prust - Bournival

From what I see, Montreal should try to acquire a top 9 LW and RW. If we sign Vanek, it'll be impossible to go after Moulson, so I think we should go for Dustin Penner, if he's cheap and if he can be signed for a year only. The RW I'd go with is Jaromir Jagr... just unite him with Plekanec.

To be honest, I'm not even sure we'll even have enough cap space to go after them (both?) after signing Markov, Subban, Vanek, Eller, Weise and White.

Regardless, I believe this is a cool lineup

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Jagr
Penner - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - White - Weise
Moen - Bournival - Briere

*Bourque had a car accident, he's LTIR

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Weaver
Bealieu - Pateryn

Price
Budaj

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
Minnesota has a ton a cap space (Heatley's 7,5M$ comes of the books) they will sign Vanek for about 8,5M$ and Moulson for 6M$ and still have some room.

I'd like a guy like Ott... maybe Jagr for a year.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Wouldn't mind Niskanen if we can dump Bourque and/or Briere.

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Niskanen
Gorges-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
*Bourque had a car accident, he's LTIR

as much as I don't love Bourque, this is a little much.

We should throw all of our money at Vanek. Niskanen would be nice too, we need another youngish RHD. I haven't looked at the UFA market enough beyond that to say much more right now.

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
Minnesota has a ton a cap space (Heatley's 7,5M$ comes of the books) they will sign Vanek for about 8,5M$ and Moulson for 6M$ and still have some room.

Minnesota won't do that. They need space (both on the roster and on the cap in a couple years) for their talented youngsters Granlund, Niederreiter and Coyle (and Brodin on the back-end when we talk about future cap issues).

They will probably try to sign one, but not both, except if one of Vanek or Moulson agrees on a short-term deal.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Wouldn't mind Niskanen if we can dump Bourque and/or Briere.

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Niskanen
Gorges-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver.

That'd be a really nice addition. He's only making 2.7 M right now.. It wouldn't suprise me if it at least doubles.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Vanek is a left winger

Still funny watching the effort expended trying to shoe horn him into the right side of these lineups. Too many Therriens posting on this board! :laugh:

Back to the thread topic, I'm just going to throw out the name Ron Hainsey.

First of all, only people who don't know better rely on hockeydb for anything. Secondly, what you're noticing from eliteprospects is that he has played both wings in the past (reluctantly, when it comes to the RW); not that he's either good at it or happy doing it.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Have to also wonder about Minny's internal budget as well.. They're not the Habs budget wise and they have pretty significant money tied up in Parise/Suter/Koivu/Pominville to a lesser extent for the next 4 to 12 years ( :laugh: ) and then two years from now they Charlie Coyle, Granlund and Brodin coming up as RFAs.

I don't know if Vanek would be necessarily a smart move for them depending on their constraints. Vanek might want to play there but he'll have to take a concession on that contract and he'll want some form of NTC at this point in his career with his family situation.

For me Vanek is the only UFA I make a big move on and add depth at other positions.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
First of all, only people who don't know better rely on hockeydb for anything. Secondly, what you're noticing from eliteprospects is that he has played both wings in the past (reluctantly, when it comes to the RW); not that he's either good at it or happy doing it.

I'll check on nhl.com next time lol. Our RW depth is non-existant...

Not really sure what being a "little Therrien" is supposed to mean either. We have a terrible coach, yet we're winning games. **** logic :dunno:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Not really sure what being a "little Therrien" is supposed to mean either.

It means having proclivity to mix-mash combinations of players, sometimes with little regard to natural positions or in the case of defensemen in particular, "handedness". We've seen Therrien use all of Prust, Moen, Bourque, Galchenyuk, and Bournival in "unnatural" positions on "gut feelings", and guys like Gorges, Emelin, Murray, etc have been flip-flopped from side to side on occasion, as well. That's close to half the roster, if you're keeping track.

:teach:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If the Canucks are in rebuild I would be interested in Edler. Anybody hear anything about concrete offers for Edler or what the Canucks might have been looking for ?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
It means having proclivity to mix-mash combinations of players, sometimes with little regard to natural positions or in the case of defensemen in particular, "handedness". We've seen Therrien use all of Prust, Moen, Bourque, Galchenyuk, and Bournival in "unnatural" positions on "gut feelings", and guys like Gorges, Emelin, Murray, etc have been flip-flopped from side to side on occasion, as well. That's close to half the roster, if you're keeping track.

:teach:

This happens on every hockey team, at every level, in every country that plays the sport.

Playing centres on the wing and left handed shooting D on the right side is quite common.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I can see us moving Bourque at the draft.

Obviously, sign Subban and Markov. Try to sign Eller for cheap at $2m, White for $1.2 ish, sign Weise for 800-900k.

Depending on how Vanek performs and if he's willing to stay here, sign him.

Let Murray, Bouillon, Weaver(??) walk and play Beaulieu or Tinordi full time.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Who should we target? Errrrr... Markov and Vanek?

If there's some money left, try an upgrade on D. A good, physical #3-4.

Assuming Subban is signed (no brainer), some dead wood is let go and our young guys improve, we could do some damage in the next 2-3 years with that plan.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
A top 3 D. That's what I would focus on 1st

Vanek would be nice if he wants to stay but it still has to be reasonable and has to make sense for us going forward. PK will be getting a nice little raise

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Heh, we need to get rid of contracts before we go after anyone. We currently have a surplus of forwards. We can keep Subban and one of Markov or Vanek. But if we want to keep all 3. We need to get rid of some salary cap and contracts. We have quite a few bottom 6 contracts we can get rid of.

If Vanek leaves, I want a player that can fill his spot. I expect Tinordi/Beaulieu to jump in the roster. If they can't find Murray/Weaver type players.

Yea, I'd focus more on keeping Subban, Markov and Vanek.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
This happens on every hockey team, at every level, in every country that plays the sport.

Playing centres on the wing and left handed shooting D on the right side is quite common.

Well, you can continue to talk in general about generalities, I'll continue to explain how it is with this player/team specifically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad